Author Topic: Halifax Connections  (Read 1172 times)

Offline sorcha65

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Halifax Connections
« on: Saturday 15 May 10 23:57 BST (UK) »
My Gran's family were all from Halifax in West Yorks. However she had two Uncles who moved up to Gateshead between 1901 and 1911 and her parents also moved up there around 1916 which resulted in my Gran being born there and her two young brothers dying there around this time. There seems no obvious explanation of why this would be and I just wondered if anyone could hazard any guesses as to why they would all have moved there. Also could anyone give me any background about what Gateshead would have been like around this time. Anything would be great, thanks Sorcha

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Halifax Connections
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 May 10 18:13 BST (UK) »
It would be hard to say without more information about the family but it is highly likely to be work related - railways, mining and many other industries in the Gatehead area could have attracted them to the area at that time.

Most of my families moves arround the country seem to be either work or relationship orientated. one ancestor was a railway engine diver for the the Great North Eastern Railway and his job has deposited him at various spots in the north of the country - presumably where ever the train dropped him off...!!

Vonni
Walker (North Yorks/Co Durham), Clement (North Yorks), Appleton (North Yorks), Bainbridge (Co Durham), Lund (Co Durham + Lancashire), Musgrave  (Grinton, N Yorks), Robinson (North Yorks), Reay (Co Durham), Hodgson (Darlington), Rutherford (N Yorks), Pearson, Addis (Monmouthshire), Alan (Monmouthshire), Morlinn/Marlinn (Longford Ireland), Janson (North Yorks), Turmey (Reading), Dodds (Co Durham)

Offline sorcha65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 May 10 18:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Vonnie, actually thinking about it i do seem to remember something about the railways. So did people who worked on them have to move around then? Sorcha

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 May 10 18:49 BST (UK) »

For those who were digging and laying tracks, it would have been advantageous to live "on top of the job".

Not so essential for those working on the trains.

And station staff a third category !

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 May 10 20:36 BST (UK) »
Most of my ancestors who worked for the railways stayed put, it was just this one guy who moved about....

I would have a good look into what was going on in Gateshead at the start of the century that would have made it worth moving to....or even something that was in decline in Halifax that would warrant a desire to move away.

Vonni
Walker (North Yorks/Co Durham), Clement (North Yorks), Appleton (North Yorks), Bainbridge (Co Durham), Lund (Co Durham + Lancashire), Musgrave  (Grinton, N Yorks), Robinson (North Yorks), Reay (Co Durham), Hodgson (Darlington), Rutherford (N Yorks), Pearson, Addis (Monmouthshire), Alan (Monmouthshire), Morlinn/Marlinn (Longford Ireland), Janson (North Yorks), Turmey (Reading), Dodds (Co Durham)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 May 10 08:22 BST (UK) »
What occupations did they have according to the census records/birth certificates?    That might explain the move.
Andrea

Offline sorcha65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 May 10 16:33 BST (UK) »
Have just had a bit of a check. My Gran's birth cert states that her dad was a slinger in an ordnance works, this was in 1917. Her Uncles were a miner and i was right one did work on the railway however the one that was a miner had just died in 1911 and my GGGrandparents were up there at the funeral so
they too were on the census. Sorcha x
p.s. they moved back to Halifax by 1920