Author Topic: Purcell Queens county  (Read 5372 times)

Offline GBP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Purcell Queens county
« on: Wednesday 19 May 10 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for any info on a Pierce Purcell (maybe Peter) who was born in Queens County around 1827. He fought with the 81st regiment in the Indian Mutiny of 1857 and was I think awarded two medals. He must have come to Australia at some point as he fought with the Waitako Regiment in the Maori wars of 1863 in NZ. He married Bridget Lowry in Adelaide Sth Australia around 1870 and there were 5 children - William, Peter, Mary, Julia and Bridget. He died in 1911.  Anything would be helpful.  Thanks, GBP

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Purcell Queens county
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 10:06 BST (UK) »
Civil registration didn't begin until 1864 for births so you will have to rely on church records to try to establish where your family came from. The church records for Laois are not yet online but have a browse through /www.laoisgenealogy.com/index and see if you can find anything relevant.
There are 93 Purcell entries in Griffiths Valuation. This does not mean 93 families as often one person occupied more than one property (land & house separately) www.askaboutireland.ie
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline gerryp66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 June 10 06:16 BST (UK) »
Pierce Purcell (c.1836-1911) served with the 57th Foot in India during the Mutiny. Transferred to 81st c.1860 in India, served with them on North West Frontier. Awarded Indian Mutiny Medal, India GSM with bar NWF, and an Imperial pension.
Arrived Australia July 1862 on 'Blackburn'.
1 Sep 1863 in Melbourne enlisted Waikato Regt for service in NZ.  Served three years, enlisted NZ Armed Constabulary served eight months.
Married  Mary Elisabeth MARTIN 13 June 1866.
July 1869 received land grant in Tauranga.
By 1873 had sold land grant, returned to Melbourne where he married Bridget LOWRY 6 Aug 1873.
Moved to Adelaide.
Died in Adelaide 1911.
Have more info.  Gerry.
Purcell, Brister

Offline GBP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 June 10 00:54 BST (UK) »
Dear Gerry, Thank you SO MUCH for this info. There is a photo of him wearing the two medals, one being the Idian mutiny medal so the other must be the GSM. What is that?
I would like to have ANY info that you may be able to give me, as he is my father's grandfather. My father is now 94 years old and finds all this research fascinating.
Thank you for your time and patience, GBP

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 June 10 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
  GSM with Bar NWF woulf be the General Service Medal issued to those who served in a war theatre, in this case the North West Frontier.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline gerryp66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 June 10 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi GBP,
Further to my last posting:
Pierce received the Indian Mutiny medal whilst serving in the 81st, but qualified for it whilst with the 57th.
His Army service record is not yet available on line - so I have not yet identified when or where he first enlisted.
As he was in receipt of a pension his record should be available soon.
I am presently overseas on holiday so dont have access to my records.  Will get back to you with more detail in early August.
Cant use PM as I am new on rootschat.
Gerry.
Purcell, Brister

Offline GBP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 June 10 04:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, will wait for more info when you have time, cheers GBP

Offline kate52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 July 10 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hello I have quite a bit of information that I have gathered over the years on yours and my great grandfather, I believe he was born in Ballinakill in County Laois (Queens County) but have not positively proved this as yet, I actually has  just posted a entry on this forum as I have just joined. The information also shows other members of the family of Pierce Purcell, I have a copy of his marriage certificate as well, hope your father is well, love to hear from you. Kathy

Offline gerryp66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 10:58 BST (UK) »
Pierce PURCELL enlisted in the 1st Waikato Militia, 1 Sep 1863, in Melbourne, for three years service in New Zealand, Regimental # 153 and 1172.
Subsequently served in the NZ Armed Constabulary for about 8 months.
6 Jul 1869 received land grant 1/4 acre at Gate Pa and 60 acres East Wairoa, Tauranga.
Having sold land (for 13 Pounds) he returned to Melbourne, VIC sometime between late 1869 and mid 1873, when he marries Bridget LOWRY in Melbourne.
On 5 Jun 1866 he lodged an Intention to marry Mary Elisabeth MARTIN, d/o George MARTIN, of Galloway St, Hamilton, she aged 16 yrs, with father's consent.
Pierce is described as a Bachelor, aged 29, Labourer, of Narrows Redoubt, Hamilton.
The marriage proceeded on 13 June at the home of Mr. A. BUCHANAN, Clyde St, Hamilton (RGO 1866/513).  Marriage record shows Pierce as 'Military Settler'.
I have no record of what became of Mary (despite much searching).
in 1907 and again in 1910, Pierce made application for award of the New Zealand Medal for his service in NZ.  This was declined due to his 'being unable to furnish direct proof of having been actually under fire'.
Kathy
Purcell, Brister