Author Topic: Converting Microfiche to PC files  (Read 1451 times)

Offline markyb74

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Converting Microfiche to PC files
« on: Thursday 20 May 10 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Does anyone have any experiences regarding converting a set of microfiche parish records to files that can be viewed on the PC. I have several hundred pages of them so the idea of trying to do it myself doesn't appeal. Any views on how to do this, who do avoid, who is good will be much appreciated.

Mark
Bowles, Burgess, Chinn, Cooling/Cullen, Harrison, Jarvis/Jervis, Lawrence, Mitchell, Orme, Parsons, Sutton

Offline Indaloman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Converting Microfiche to PC files
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 May 10 17:28 BST (UK) »
I'd be interested too. As I want a hard copy of Tysoe PR's and they are on microfishe only
Knight (Nottingham & Hants) Hancock, (Kent) , Hancox (Warwickshire), Linneys (Hants) Brothers (Langford, Beds,East London), Bridgers (East London)

Other restorers please feel free to use my work if wished

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 May 10 07:05 BST (UK) »
This was discussed a few weeks ago - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,451484.msg3134737.html#msg3134737

In summary it will cost a minimum order charge of £50 to have it done professionally, and that there is no satisfactory way of doing it yourself, except to find a reader and then photograph the screen, then typing the information onto the PC.

Ken

Offline markyb74

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 May 10 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Thanks, I read that thread with interest however there was no review of any company that does this professionally. So, it would be useful to find out if anyone has had any experience of getting this sort of work done.

Mark
Bowles, Burgess, Chinn, Cooling/Cullen, Harrison, Jarvis/Jervis, Lawrence, Mitchell, Orme, Parsons, Sutton

Offline mjhill61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 16:21 BST (UK) »
If you live anywhere near an LDS Family research center, they may be able to convert a microfiche film to a digital file. My local LDS center will do it for free without trying to convert me!
Type "LDS Family Research Center locations" into your browser, then enter your geographic info, you will be given the closet center to where you live. If there isn't one close to you, try phoning them and arranging to do it through the mail. My center only requires a thumbdrive to copy to.

Hope this helps

Cheers
HILL, BRAGG and FRY surnames in Wellington, Somerset, England from 1791 to 1900.

HILL, RILEY, WHITESIDE and CARNEY surnames in Preston and Lancaster, Lancashire from 1850 to Present.

Offline markyb74

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 19:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks mjhill61 that is interesting to know.

Regards,

Mark