Author Topic: Australian Institute of Genealogical Studies Inc  (Read 912 times)

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Australian Institute of Genealogical Studies Inc
« on: Sunday 27 March 05 15:39 BST (UK) »
I suppose I may be being a bit nosey here but whilst surfing in UK today I stumbled across the website at www.aigs.org.au     
of the above organisation based in Blackburn, Victoria. Now I know Oz is huge but I wondered (a) who in OZ knew of it? and (b) who uses it?
Like I said being nosey.....

Offline aussieshirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Australian Institute of Genealogical Studies Inc
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 March 05 02:16 BST (UK) »
hi Clincher,

I used to be a member of the Institute, probably 10-15 years ago. They are very good and helpful.  Blackburn is a suburb of Melbourne. Their quarterly magazine is excellent, with informative articles.

aussieshirl :)
researching; elphick friend woolgar mcnanley watson gribble irwin shaw lindsay butler pratt payne heslop mcdowell mccormick
location; kent manchester ireland northern ireland fife london and australia

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 March 05 04:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Clincher,

My understanding is that there are two main general family history societies in Melbourne.

The Genealogical Society of Victoria has its headquarters in the heart of the city of Melbourne.  Its website is at:
http://www.gsv.org.au/

The AIGS, as stated above, has its headquarters in suburban Blackburn.

Both are well-established societies with the GSV being the older organisation.  The GSV was founded in 1941; the AIGS dates from - I think - 1973.  Both are highly reputable family history societies.  Both publish quarterly journals - that of the GSV is called Ancestor and that of the AIGS is called The Genealogist.  The GSV has a Rootsweb mailing list at:
http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/intl/AUS/GSV.html
Whether people choose to belong to one society or the other (or both!) is a matter of personal  preference and convenience.  The catalogues of the libraries of each society are online at their websites.

J

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 March 05 07:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info :D