Author Topic: Lawrie family of Wemyss/Largo, Fife  (Read 13045 times)

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
Lawrie family of Wemyss/Largo, Fife
« on: Friday 28 May 10 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
My first post.

According to the IGI and SP the only Lawrie family in Wemyss in the 18th century was the family of John Lawrie & Grizel Tod. They had at least six bairns. Two singles and two sets of twins.
One of the sets of twins were Betty Lawrie & William Lawrie. They were born 3rd January, 1763, Wemyss. I am a direct descendant of William Lawrie. Willie married Catherine Neish 10th December, 1786, Kirkcaldy. I have a very extensive descendants chart from Willie and his brother James Lawrie (m. Janet Clark, 9th April, 1785, Wemyss), but Betty Lawrie is a puzzle.
According to the OPR a Robert Robertson married Elspeth Lourie 30th June, 1789, Wemyss. In the margin of the page the name Lourie is crossed out and the name Logie is substituted.
In the IGI I can only find one Elspeth Logie b. 1750, Wemyss. There is also a marriage of an Elizabeth Logie to Andrew Logie, 2nd March, 1792, Wemyss.
I believe that my Betty/Elizabeth Lawrie married Robert Robertson. I have found two children of theirs, Margaret Robertson, b. 1790 and Robert Robertson, b. 1791. The IGI gives Elizabeth Logie as the mother.
Margaret doesn’t follow the naming pattern of the time as neither the Lawrie or Logie mother had a mother named Margaret.
Does anyone have any ideas as to why the name at the marriage was changed from Lourie to Logie?
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Re: Lawrie family of Wemyss/Largo, Fife
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 May 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi there Buckhind

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I have a mix of Laurie/Lawrie in my tree, but none match any in the info you posted ... YET!

Just thought I'd say 'Hi and Welcome' :)

Regards

Chaid Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 May 10 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Chiad Fhear,

Many thanks for the welcome.

All of the Lawries in Wemyss & Largo in the 19th century (as far as I can tell) are in my tree, with the exception of Andrew Lawrie & Isabella Donaldson who farmed Methilhill Farm in the 19th Century. Andrew came from North Fife and belongs to another Lawrie family.
There are at least three puzzles in my tree and Betty/Elizabeth Lawrie/Logie is the first.

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 10:33 BST (UK) »
Here is the OPR marriage of Robert Robertson & Elizabeth Lawrie/Logie.
The marriage was booked 13th June, 1789, Wemyss and the marriage took place 30th June, 1789, Wemyss.

Why was the name changed in the margin but not in the main text?

Anyone any ideas?

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 18:02 BST (UK) »
Here is the OPR marriage of Elizabeth Logie to Andrew Logie on 2nd March, 1792, Wemyss.
If this is the Elspeth Logie born 1750, Wemyss then it makes me 99% certain that the Elizabeth Lourie/Logie who married Robert Robertson is my ancestors twin sister.
I still can't figure out why the Lourie name was changed to the Logie name.
Bye the way, both the IGI & SP spell the name Lourie but viewing the OPR marriage (posted above), I would say that it is Laurie.

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 June 10 11:24 BST (UK) »
Here is the OPR birth of the twins Willie & Betty Lawrie.
Born 3rd January, 1763, Buckhaven, Wemyss.
Parents John Lawrie & Grizel Tod.

If this Betty married Robert Robertson, does anyone have any idea as to why the name was changed to Logie?

Offline phende

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 April 11 16:42 BST (UK) »
I have just joined RootsChat and, on browsing through, I see your post on the Lawries. Although they are not in mt direct line, I think I have a connect through James (1798), son of William L. and Catherine Neish. I believe he married Margaret Philp, daughter of David Philp and Mary Langlands. Mary subsequently married David Henderson, one of my great (x3) great uncles. It seems to me that James had a rather complicated life and would be interested to see if you can confirm the facts.

Offline phende

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 April 11 19:19 BST (UK) »
As another Lawrie connection, do you have Catherine Lawrie (eldest daugher of William and Cetherine) married to George Henderson? Although there is no direct documentary evidence, there is strong reason to believe that George was a brother of the David Henderson who married Mary Langlands, mentioned above.

Offline phende

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 April 11 19:52 BST (UK) »
Regarding the Andrew Logie/Elspeth Logie marriage in 1792, this would be a late marriage for the Elspeth born in 1850. Another Elspet was born in Wemyss, 27 Aug 1766, to Walter Logie and Christian Thomson but this is still not a good match with the naming pattern. Do I read the OPR entry correctly in thinking that, at the time of the marriage, Andrew was resident in Buckhaven and Elspeth was resident in Dysart?

We also find an Elspeth Logie marrying Robert Deas in 1806, having one child, Elizabeth (1807). I am pretty sure we find Elspeth and Robert in Buckhaven in 1841, with Elspeth's age given as 65. I just wonder if this was a second marriage for Elspeth, after the one to Robert Robertson in 1789?