Author Topic: Maude Whitecombe, engaged 1901 - a mystery  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Hilde

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maude Whitecombe, engaged 1901 - a mystery
« on: Thursday 03 June 10 01:25 BST (UK) »
I found a notice in a Finnish newspaper from 19th April 1901 announcing that my great-grandfather's brother Anders Johan Leopold Norrgren was engaged to Miss Maud Whitecombe, London.

I have never heard of her before, and he never married her - he married miss Edith/Roberta Massey-Lawless three years later.

I wonder if somebody could help me find out what happened? Who was Maud Whitecombe? Did they cancel the engagement? Or did she die?

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maude Whitecombe, engaged 1901 - a mystery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 June 10 09:06 BST (UK) »
Well a quick scan of the BMD reveals no obvious death, so maybe one or both of them changed their minds ?   It does happen.

Unless you have contacts within the family who have information, it's unlikely that you will find out the reason, easpecially with such scant information on Miss Whitecombe.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 June 10 10:55 BST (UK) »
Two possibilities I can see:

1) The Maud Whitcombe b. 1883 Chesterfield d. 1903 Chesterfield aged 20 (doesn't seem to be any connection to London, I think she was in Derby also in the 1901 census)
2) The Maud Edith M. Whitcomb b. 1885 West Ham district m. 1908 Hendon, Middlesex.

("Whitecombe" seems to be a variant spelling of the above which is not common).

But without an address or father's name for her hard to prove anything. (either an address for Maud or if you know where Anders would be living at the time you could look for Whitcomb/Whitecombe families nearby or somehow connected via his work).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 June 10 11:05 BST (UK) »
Anders was the Finnish Consul-General (or consular agent) in London at the time of the announcement - is that right?  Have you found him in the 1901 (English) census?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Hilde

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 June 10 11:36 BST (UK) »
Anders was the Finnish Consul-General (or consular agent) in London at the time of the announcement - is that right?  Have you found him in the 1901 (English) census?

Yes, he was the Finnish Consul-General in London from 1900 to 1930. I haven't looked in the census as I have no clue about genealogical research in England. I'm sorry if I'm asking about things that would have been really easy to figure out for myself. :-/

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 June 10 11:38 BST (UK) »
Don't apologise! He's not easily found in 1901 (census date 31 March) - perhaps he and Maude had taken a spring trip to Finland to break the happy news to his family?
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Hilde

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 June 10 11:52 BST (UK) »
Don't apologise! He's not easily found in 1901 (census date 31 March) - perhaps he and Maude had taken a spring trip to Finland to break the happy news to his family?

Yes, that is possible, I suppose!

The information that he was at the Consulate from 1900 comes from http://www.finemb.org.uk/public/default.aspx?nodeid=35340&contentlan=2&culture=en-GB:
"In 1900,  Anders Johan Leopold Norrgren succeeded him in London to deal with consular affairs. Norrgren, a graduate of St. Petersburg Diplomatic School, had previously been a staff captain in the Finnish Guards Battalion. In 1902, he married an Englishwoman, Miss Edith Massey-Lawless and continued as Consul General right up until 1930. "

They are wrong about the date of marriage to Florence Edith Massey-Lawless, which was in 1904, not 1902 as they state on the webpage. but I would assume that they know the history of the consulate...?

Two possibilities I can see:

1) The Maud Whitcombe b. 1883 Chesterfield d. 1903 Chesterfield aged 20 (doesn't seem to be any connection to London, I think she was in Derby also in the 1901 census)
2) The Maud Edith M. Whitcomb b. 1885 West Ham district m. 1908 Hendon, Middlesex.

("Whitecombe" seems to be a variant spelling of the above which is not common).

But without an address or father's name for her hard to prove anything. (either an address for Maud or if you know where Anders would be living at the time you could look for Whitcomb/Whitecombe families nearby or somehow connected via his work).

If it was the first Maud, who died in 1903, that would explain why they never married. But Maud number 2 is of course better placed geographically.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 June 10 12:02 BST (UK) »

This is likely to be the same person as "Maud WHITECOMB" who in 1901 was shown as the 15-yr-old daughter (born Walthamstow, Essex, which fits with the West Ham district of the birth registration) of Australian-born journalist Horace WHITECOMB & wife Elizabeth.  They and 12 of their children (including Maud) are shown at 1 Lord's Mead Terrace, Lordship Lane, Tottenham in 1901: RG13/1250/8/7.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 June 10 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

If he was residing in the Finnish embassy in London at the time of the census I don't think he would be enumerated as technically speaking this would be Finnish territory not British. This applies to all embassies.

Maud Whit(e)comb born Walthamstow Essex on the 1901 census in Tottenham was the daughter of a journalist so of the right social position but only 15 on the census (census night 31st March).
The others are servants on the 1901 census and not quite the right social class to be marrying a diplomat and have no connection with London.
Maude Whitcomb 18 a cook in Derbyshire born Whittington Derbyshire aged 18
Maud J Whitcomb in Rowington Warwickshire aged 16 born Handsworth Staffordshire a general domestic servant

If an announcement was made in a Finnish newspaper you might expect a similar announcement made in a London newspaper. It might be worth checking The Times for example which some Rootschatters have access to online.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk