Author Topic: Threlkeld Parish Records-Gilbanke  (Read 2496 times)

Offline jimgillbanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Threlkeld Parish Records-Gilbanke
« on: Thursday 03 June 10 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking to find whether the following, who were Christened at Threlkeld Church, were from Red Syke, Matterdale.
Thomas Gilbanke Chris.27/3/1655.
Thomas Gilbanke Chris.20/3/1672.
Thomas Gilbanke married Cattern Sutton19/5/1672 at Threlkeld.
Also the following.
John Gilbanke married Else Brownrigg 28/6/1650.
John Gillbanks married Isabel Wilkinson1/8/1650.

Is there anywhere I can purchase the Parish Records?
Banks, Gillbanks, Fallows families in the  Furness area of Lancashire
Banks, Gillbanks, Cumberland. Westmoreland, Lancashire.
Betteridge, Liverpool,

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Threlkeld Parish Records-Gilbanke
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 June 10 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
You can order the film of most parish registers to search at your nearest LDS centre.  They are worldwide and listed on www.familysearch.org     Usually there were not many details given in those days though.  If there is a printed transcript it will be at Carlisle Record office or perhaps the local FHS has copies?
http://www.threlkeld.org.uk/ may be useful but actually Matterdale had its own church by then.  Records start in 1634.  http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/CUL/Matterdale/index.html
Andrea

Offline jimgillbanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 June 10 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea, thanks for responding, there are now no LDS History Centres on Merseyside, don't know why they closed, so no go there, and as I am unable to travel to Carlisle it looks like I must try another way to get around the problem. I believe the people I would like information on would have lived at Red Syke, and rather than travel to the mother church at Greystoke, went to the Threlkeld church which was nearer, although in a different Parish. Best Wishes, Jim.
Betteridge, Liverpool,

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 February 20 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Greystoke register for the period 1559-1757 is scanned and on familysearch. The book is indexed but not searchable.
I have found these, some of which might enable you to eliminate them from your searches:
Thomas Gilbank of Readsike in Matterdale and Grace Vertue of Penruddock married 26th November 1685
Frances daughter of Thomas Gilbank of Penruddock baptised 23 Dec 1686
John son of Thomas Gilbank of Penruddock baptised 20 Mar 1688/9
Isaac son of Thomas Gilbank of Penruddock baptised  6 Sep 1691
Thomas Gilbank of Penruddock buried 16 May 1702
George Gilbank of Walthwaite and Agnes Watson of Gill married 24 May 1704
William Gilbank of Reedsike churchwarden for the year 1720
Joseph Gilbank and Sarah Grave both of Walthwaite married 30th May 1732
Grace Gilbank of Penruddock buried 18 Sep 1806

That's all the Gilbanks in the index - if the index isn't correct, any further searching will be s-l-o-w w-o-r-k!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline jimgillbanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 February 20 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Graham, you have been most helpfull, I would like to trace the three children of Thomas and Grace, none of them appear to have married or to have been buried at Greystoke it seems, so where did they go after their parents died. I believe Isaac to be my 6 x GreatGrandfather Isaac supposedly being born at Kirkby Ireleth in 1699, although there is no trace of him being there until his First Son Thomas was born at Town End in 1725, his other children were Grace b1727, John, 1729, and Isaac born 1732 at Torver, These names fit in with the naming Traditions of the area, The family used the names Banks and Gillbanks on a daily basis. The Father Isaac's wife was named Margaret, no Surname, also supposedly born in Kirkby Ireleth in 1703, again no record of her birth or Baptism exists, or a Marriage. I did consult a Genealogist who agrees that Isaac, together with the pattern of naming his children would certainly point to him being Isaac born 1691 in Penruddock.
Betteridge, Liverpool,

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 February 20 20:04 GMT (UK) »
The bad news about naming traditions is that the supply of names (in Greystoke at least) seems to have been severely rationed. Thomas, John, Joseph, Isaac and that's probably 75% of male burials that I've indexed. Mary, Margaret, Ann, Jane and that's about it on the female side. Our ancestors were incredibly unhelpful to posterity!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline jimgillbanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 February 20 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham, yes, I know that the same names for the  sons right through since Isaac's time were all Isaac, John, William Joseph, James and Agnes, Ann, and Mary, for the girls right up to the mid 20th Century. Thank you once again for your interest and imput. Regards, Jim.
Betteridge, Liverpool,