Author Topic: great uncle  (Read 2729 times)

Offline weed

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
great uncle
« on: Thursday 03 June 10 20:36 BST (UK) »
I am researching my great uncle Hugh mcaulay born coatbridge scotland1896 served with northumberland rifles in the great war, joined up in wallsend .could anyone help me to complete this part of my family tree thank you

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: great uncle
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 June 10 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi weed
From Hugh's service records he was born 11 March 1898 and he wasn't married when he enlisted.  He served in France and suffered a gunshot wound to his hand & knee 26 May 1915.  He returned home in June 1916, and spent a month in the Mount Hospital, Faversham, Kent.  He was 5' 51/2" tall, with blue eyes, brown hair and a dark complexion.  His occupation was recorded as labourer.  His mum's address in 1915 was:  Mrs R McAuley, 15 John St, Newcastle on Tyne.
Dazey

Offline weed

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 June 10 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Dazey thank you for taking the time to answer my request. i must admit I did not think about army records as it was only hear say about the n/umberland regiment
I do know about his parents and grand parents and it would be nice to know what happened to him and his two sisters but that would be a long shot for sure  weed ???

Offline jtephenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 December 11 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Your Great uncle Hugh McAuley was the brother of my grandmother Mary McAuley/ Stephenson. The families lived opposite each other in Fenham Newcastle Hugh married Maggie Blaylock I think. Do you know when His father Hugh died and Rose his mother I believe they seperated before the war, I have a photo of old Hugh at my parents wedding. I have been trying to trace the family back to Ireland but can only get as far as John and Margarets wedding in Belfast.
Regards John Stephenson   

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 January 12 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Just following on from John's info..Hugh Jnr married Apr-Jun 1922 Newcastle Upon Tyne to Margaret A Blaylock.  FreeBMD has details of a son born in 1923 and a daughter in 1927.
There is a death for a Rose Mcauley (born c.1867) registered in Apr-Jun 1938 in Newcastle.
Possible death for Hugh Snr would be Hugh N Mcauley, born c.1866, died Apr-Jun 1951 Newcastle.
Dazey

Offline jtephenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 January 12 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thanks for that Son and Daughter were Hugh and Joyce cousins of my father. rose was buried at Ashburton RC cemetery in Newcastle I've searched the stones but could find no memorial. The death of Hugh would have been around 1951 but I don't think he had a middle name it could be just a clerical error but then so would the birth date be.
Regards John

Offline seakale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think you are talking about some of my family. My father was Hugh Aloysius McAulay of Newcastle and his sister was Joyce. Their cousin was George Blaylock and there were also other Blaylock cousins. My grandfather was Hugh McAulay (no middle name), originally from Scotland. I don't remember my grandmother's name.

Regards
Catherine

Offline jtephenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Catherine, I guess that makes us Cousins of sorts My father is Kenneth Hugh Stephenson the son of Mary McCauley and Albert Stephenson My father is about the same age as Hugh he is 90 now. they lived opposite each other in Fenham as children. Your grandmother was Rose Burns they married in 1896 in Coatbridge Scotland. I believe that Hugh and Rose split up in later years but am unsure of the details. The last photo of old Hugh I have is at my parents wedding in 1949. I also have one of him holding your aunt Maggies twin grandchildren.
John

Offline jtephenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 17:12 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Your Grandmother was Maggie Blaylock your Great grandmother was Rose Burns I'm getting mixed up with the generations.
John