Author Topic: burial grounds  (Read 12024 times)

Offline ANNJIM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
burial grounds
« on: Friday 04 June 10 19:36 BST (UK) »
i am trying to find where a great aunt is buried in abbeyleix i think she died in the sixties name of Mary Margaret Crennan  her husband i had been a Captain Crennan  first name not know please can anyone help
duignan-crennan-

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: burial grounds
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 June 10 09:14 BST (UK) »
The online Civil BMD index only covers up to about 1958 so searching for more recent deaths is more difficult unless you visit the GRO research room. You could try searching newspapers for a death notice, but since there is is only a rough date of death this could take a while. If there is a death notice it may mention the cemetery.

Do you know your great aunts maiden surname or approx date of birth ?

If you know this you could maybe start by searching for their marriage on the civil index. A cert would give both full names, their father's etc which would hopefully confirm the connections.. and give you some details that might help a further search

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dawnra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 June 10 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you any further details of your great aunt. I have looked at the burial register for Abbeyleix cemetery during the 1960's and cannot find any Crennan.

Regards

Mike

Offline ANNJIM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 June 10 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Mike Thanks for replying,we live in caqmbridge but have spent this week in ireland, but could only find on burial site with a crennan but it was to recent i am looking for a joseph crennan & mary margerat nee duignan i belive would have died in the seventies i don,t know in what order. thank you for your intrest in helping 
Ann Duignan
duignan-crennan-

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 June 10 21:27 BST (UK) »
I have cemetery records for Abbeyleix 1904-2001, but have not come across the name Crennan interred there.

Offline char10lie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 August 10 08:44 BST (UK) »
I am sure this is a picture of my Uncle Joseph  died about 1978 and Aunt Mary (died) early seventies. I am a Crennan from Abbeyleix and yes there is a grave there. I now live in Australia. Please email me@ (*) for further information. :)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline char10lie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 August 10 08:49 BST (UK) »
I find that hard to believe as I know for a fact there are three seperate graves there for Crennans. The oldest one  (name may not be recognisable) is situated in the old graveyard up the steps 2nd or 3rd grave  to the left backing onto a wall and near the back door entrance of the Church.  Patrick H Crennan , his wife and some of his sons/daughters are all buried there. It is a very old grave. I am a direct descendant of this family ( maiden name Crennan originally from Abbeyleix). My Uncle Joe is also buried in a seperate grave in the same cemetary.

Offline dawnra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 August 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Great to get a reply from a member of the Crennan family. I cannot see your attachment with picture. I am interested also in Joe's brother Kevin Crennan who I believe is in a photo that I have from the Irish Civil war. Would you have any means of identifying Kevin also? I think that the burial records for the cemetery may not be complete. I have the photo with Kevin and burial records on another PC I'll post them in the next day or so when I am at home.
Regards

mike

Offline char10lie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 August 10 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Mike
 I did not send a picture of attachment as my post was a reply.  I would probably be able to recognise Kevin from old photos I have seen. when you send me the posts I shall let you know. Just out of interest, what is your connection or interest in the family? Thanks