Author Topic: Edward Burgess  (Read 2892 times)

Offline roburgess

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Burgess
« on: Friday 04 June 10 22:23 BST (UK) »
Can you help please ?  My gt,gt,gt, grandfather Thomas Burgess according to the 1841 census was born in Tarporley Cheshire in 1821, he subsequently married Emma Smallwood in 1840 at the Colligiate Church , Manchester. The marriage certificate states his father to be Edward Burgess, gardener.. Despite extensive research I cannot find any info on Edward or his wife Mary.

I would be grateful for any assistance-many thanks
Burgess, Baggaley, Devaney, Brown, Blann, Smallwood.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Burgess
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 June 10 23:25 BST (UK) »
hello

Could you give details of Thomas in 1841??

What I find a little confusing is the 1841 only gives "yes" or "No" in answer to the question were you born in the county you are living in - so unless you can find him in 1851 yhere will be no town/village etc of birth

Also ages of adults age 15 years and over are rounded down to the nearest 5 years - did you have his y.o.b. from age on marriage cert???

Who were witnesses on marriage cert? Were they relations who could give more clues??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roburgess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 June 10 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you for your interest. apologies for duff info!.
It is the 1851 census that has Thomas born in Handley, Cheshire.
However in the 1861 census Thomas states he was born in Tarporley, Cheshire some 8 miles or so from Handley.
Interestingly witness to the marriage of Thomas Burgess and Emma Smallwood May 1840 is Sarah Rowland who on the 1841 census is recorded as a domestic servant living/working in the parish of Handley and is listed with 3 other persons including Thomas's brother James (18yrs) man servant.
I had no information whatsoever who Thomas's father was until I received the copy marriage certificate.
Thomas b 1821, Thomas married 1840 is also the only info I have prior to the 1851 census.
I have searched both Cheshire and Lancashire bmd,ancestry for any info on Edward to no avail..

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 June 10 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat......can I ask where you get the info that Edwards wife was named Mary ?  if it`s on a census, does it say where Mary was born ?....allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline roburgess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 June 10 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan, Mary wife of Edward was offered by a fellow researcher on Ancestry who was also looking into Burgess and Samson. Post 1851 census, our research was almost identical but he was also stuck with lack of info re-Edward/Mary.

We do have a hit with a Mary Burgess of Tarporley christening her son Thomas in 1821, no father on the record, maybe co-incidence

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 June 10 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hiya Rob....the reason I asked was because the only marriage I can find is in LONDON ???

18th January 1818 St Marylebone, London
Edward Burgess to Mary Bennett
batch 1031452 ......
if he was a Top Class gardener he may well have worked on a rich estate in London, then came back to Cheshire with his wife....Very Unlikely I have to say BUT it is possible.....it might just be worthwhile keeping this marriage on file for future reference....it`s very frustrating for you , I know , but that`s the only marriage I could find for Edward Burgess to a Mary within the time frame of Thomas`s birth..............allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline roburgess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 June 10 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan, thanks for your info, we will keep on searching...