Author Topic: Old boxers  (Read 21313 times)

Offline ElvisMole

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old boxers (see also London Forum)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 June 10 20:55 BST (UK) »
There is a post on the London and Middlesex board requesting information on Charles Henry Chew's life in London

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=463744.msg3245063

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
Re: Old boxers
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 June 10 02:29 BST (UK) »
My grandfather's brother was Billy Hampton, a boxer from Pontypridd, and, to the best of my knowledge, his cousin married Frank Moody.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 June 10 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Tricia,
     I'd read that Billy Hampton and Frank Moody were cousins - but perhaps it was by marriage.
    Billy was not a bad fighter in an era when there was so much competition. Ironically, he was blind in one eye and deaf in one ear as a result of meningitis as a baby - with today's medical checks, he would never have been allowed to box.

Regards, Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 June 10 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Gareth, :)

Well, Mum knew that her Uncle had a problem with his eye and his ear, but hadn't realised that it was because of menigitis. It's amazing what you can find out on the Internet ~ even about your family! :)

I would be interested in learning a bit more about him, myself, and wondered how you found this out? Are you in touch with his son, perhaps?

As for the cousin relationship ~ Uncle Bills's mother and Frank Moody's mother-in-law were sisters.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 June 10 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Tricia,
    I'm not acquainted with any of the family, but I have spent a fair bit of time researching old Welsh boxers - hence the original post  :)

Mich of the info I have on Billy comes from an article in the South Wales Echo on July 8. 1961. If you're in South Wales you should be able to find it in the bigger libraries, certainly in the spanking new one in Cardiff. It would presumably also be in the Newspaper Library at Colindale.

Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 June 10 18:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gareth!
I'm hoping to visit the record office in Cardiff next month. Perhaps they'll have it there.
I actually think that I have seen that article. My Mum borrowed it to show me and I keep asking her about it. Now I have a title and a date I should be able to find it!
Thank you! :)

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 20:48 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't bank on the Record Office having it.

If you do go to the Central Library, I should mention that the article was in the Football Echo rather than in the normal daily Echo - that's important because the 1961 Football Echos are still in bound hard copy form.

The ordinary Echos are on microfilm and you could waste a lot of time going through 1961 in a vain search for an article that's not there  :(

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 00:42 BST (UK) »
Oh, right, thank you for that, Gareth!
There was another cousin who was also a boxer ~ but on the paternal side ~ Tommy Jones.
Thomas Jones's mother was my great grandfather's sister.

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 19:41 BST (UK) »
There were a fair number of Tommy Joneses about the boxing scene. Where was he from?

Gareth