Author Topic: Any train spotters here?  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Uncle Reff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • It's Déjà vu, all over again...
    • View Profile
Any train spotters here?
« on: Monday 07 June 10 19:29 BST (UK) »
I have found this photograph in my recently deceased aunt's album and have no idea where the picture was taken or who the people in it are.

Has anyone any idea as to where this train may have been, clearly it is not in the UK, but any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance - John
Researching: Reffell, Rattle, Summerhayes, Dane, Masset, Burchatt & Leshley... & Jones!

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Any train spotters here?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 June 10 19:37 BST (UK) »
Southern France, possibly on the former PLM railway (Paris, Lyon, Mediterrane)  The numbers 1-4-1 are a device used in France to signify the wheel arrangement of the locomotive, i.e. 2, leading wheels, 8 driving wheels, and a  wheel trailing truck under the cab. For reasons  best known to themselves the French only showed one side of the wheel arrangement in their designation, most would call the engine a 2-8-2 or Mikado locomotive. Southern France again suggested by the palm tree, but it could be in North Africa, Algeria or Tunisia.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Uncle Reff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 June 10 19:40 BST (UK) »
Wow :D :D Thank you Redroger for a lightning response!

Any idea of a possible date at all?

John
Researching: Reffell, Rattle, Summerhayes, Dane, Masset, Burchatt & Leshley... & Jones!

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 June 10 19:45 BST (UK) »
A pure guess 1930s; reason most 2-8-2 locomotives used in France and colonies after WW2 were built in America, Les Americaines as they were known. This is definitely not and American design, it appears to have a square "Belpaire" type firebox, and the fireboxes on the American engines had round tops. There is also no sign of spark goggles being worn by the crew, they were introduced after the war.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Uncle Reff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 June 10 19:51 BST (UK) »
Brilliant, could not ask for more Sir!

Still have absolutely no idea why it should be in my late aunt's photograph album though  ;) ;)

There was one other photograph, which seems to be of an earlier generation, but is not in good condition so I put it in the restoration section:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,460929

Much less to go on there, basically just a wheel!

Thanks once again - John

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 08:34 BST (UK) »
Had a look at the wheel, sufficient visible to say it is not on a locomotive or tender. I think you are right about the WW1 dating. Somewhere on the vehicle out if camera sight will be stencilled "Huit chevaux, Quarante hommes" These vehicles were used for the transport of both men and horses though not simultaneously, in the quantities indicated by the stencils.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 10:47 BST (UK) »
Visible underneath the loco's numberplate is what appears to be a diamond shaped makers name plate.  I would put money on that being the plate of the North British Locomotive Company of Glasgow.  Any chance of you looking more closely at that? Not that it would narrow things down too much.  As one of the biggest loco manufacturers in the world they exported to many, many countries. If you can get anything off of the plate it just might be possible to take this a little further.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Uncle Reff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 18:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Imber,

This is a small photograph of 3" x 2" and I have scanned at the max I can do. Here they are if it is any improvement at all...

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 18:31 BST (UK) »
Southern France, possibly on the former PLM railway (Paris, Lyon, Mediterrane)  The numbers 1-4-1 are a device used in France to signify the wheel arrangement of the locomotive, i.e. 2, leading wheels, 8 driving wheels, and a  wheel trailing truck under the cab. For reasons  best known to themselves the French only showed one side of the wheel arrangement in their designation, most would call the engine a 2-8-2 or Mikado locomotive. Southern France again suggested by the palm tree, but it could be in North Africa, Algeria or Tunisia.

Possibly due to them counting the axles rather than wheels. ;)
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.