Author Topic: People of German origin in nineteenth century Liverpool  (Read 8738 times)

Offline topsy451

• RootsChat Extra
  • my legs still don't reach the floor!
    • View Profile
Re: People of German origin in nineteenth century Liverpool
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 August 11 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi , i am trying to find details of ancestor of John Kuck ( which later changed to Cooke and then Cook) sugar baker  I have a birthdate  of  1810 Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany then moved to London then Lancashire  his father is listed as Gerdt Kuck farmer - germany - have found John on Sugar data base  he married Jane Howard and then a Harriet Trower also a sugar baker  and his daughter  a sugar baker who married a Henry Cook  a sugar baker born 1839  Hanover -  can anyone give me any tips as were to look for this next generation as I have had no luck for either Henry or Gerdt  and my German is rubbish  - though  I have a friend who will translate  any paperwork once I have found it  :) ---- all help appreciated  - got quite interested in the sugar  bakers now  :)
Hopkins ,Thompson- Liverpool lancashire Ireland
 Hughes, Thompson  - Liverpool Lancashire Wales
Cooke,Cook, Kuck - Liverpool Germany

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 August 11 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hello topsy,

Wish I could give you great, encouraging news, but I'm afraid I can't. I'm in the same position with my Dreher (later Dryer) family. I'm in Germany & I have a British friend who's in the same position with her husband's family, although she has managed to trace them on the shipping lists. Both our families were from Hanover (which then covered a very big area...not just today's city) & NRW is very big too. That means you could ask their archives to search their church records for you, but there are several thousands of churches involved. If you're very lucky, they might find your family quickly, but it could cost you a fortune & you still might not be able to find them (you can say to them, for example, "Do me 50 Euros worth of searching")

I think the first thing to do is to try to find them on the shipping lists. You might be lucky....there might be a bit more detail. I'll be tied up for the next fortnight, but, soon afterwards, I hope to meet up with my friend who has a record of all the useful sites, so please give me a kick then & I'll pass them on to you.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 12 August 11 08:34 BST (UK) »
The thing to remember is that Liverpool was the Principal port of embarkation for emigrants  to the USA.

People from all over Europe converged on Liverpool with the aim of getting a ship to take them to the USA.

Many of those people decided that Liverpool  was such a pleasant place that they remained in Liverpool or Lancashire.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline topsy451

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 12 August 11 15:35 BST (UK) »

Many of those people decided that Liverpool  was such a pleasant place .

And they would be right :)  - from a truly un-biased lancashire lass  ;)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 August 11 16:09 BST (UK) »
My information about my German ancestors came from another descendent of the same line I met on the Internet. He visited the village where they came from and looked at the local records. A lot of Germans can speak English so speaking to locals about a surname can sometimes be helpful. You might even meet a distant cousin.

C   

Offline topsy451

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 12 August 11 18:07 BST (UK) »
. You might even meet a distant cousin.

C   
I have infact found a number of cousin who are also searching  but we are all in the uk and decendents of John - one of them hopes to get over to germany next year  but until we make a connection  and find any siblings of John,  as yet we have not found a single one , it sure would help us make  the leap to german records  as at the moment we are bit stuck -
Topsy

Offline crosboy36

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 14 August 11 04:52 BST (UK) »
 hi,
      my g/grandfather henry laray came from germany  not on census 1881 but married in waterloo/lpool 1882 then worked bootle fire brigade were he changed his name to waterman must be connection there. died attending a fire on the ss st  ronaus in langton dock sept 30th 1893. i have spent hours trying to find german connection passenger lists or emigration from germany but if you dont know district/village impossible.
cannot find records from bootle fire brigade  possible he put morethan just germany there.

crosboy36

Offline charlie709

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 27 December 19 00:54 GMT (UK) »
This reply is very late, it being 2019 nearly 2020 now but I have some things to contribute. I have German ancestry on both sides, both my mother and fathers ancestors being Prussian but we’ll call it German eh? I’m from West Derby but my maternal great-great grandfather, Heinrich Nickolaus Ehlen emigrated to Liverpool, where my family have lived ever since thanks to them, and settled in Kirkdale I believe - well that was where he lived later in life, if he lived there all his life I do not know. My 4th great grandfather, Francis Schomberg was a Lithuanian/Prussian/German Jewish immigrant (I presume he was Jewish because of his surname) and he too was in the Kirkdale area I believe. When I looked at the people who lived in Heinrich’s house (it was the Victorian Era so people obviously were that poor that they had to share houses) they all had german surnames, which just adds to the presumption that Kirdale was a key place for a German diaspora). The conclusion I have drew is that Kirkdale was a community for them, almost a safe haven from the anti-German attitudes at the time. All the best, fellow German-Britons.