Author Topic: JONES, Bridgnorth  (Read 3572 times)

Offline davidws

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
JONES, Bridgnorth
« on: Tuesday 08 June 10 09:51 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Frank JONES born 1887 in Bridgnorth and his brother Sidney JONES  born 1889 in Bridgnorth.
I know they both served in the first World War, as did another brother Eli JONES who was very well known around Bridgnorth having sadly losing both legs in that War.
Thanks..

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: JONES, Bridgnorth
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 10:09 BST (UK) »
Info as in - tracing them back? If so have you got them in 1891, do you know their parents

or Info as in what happened to them later in life?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidws

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 10:22 BST (UK) »
Re... Frank and Sidney JONES.
Sorry , I should have explained.
We know their family history , Ancestors ,Parents etc , up to when they joined the army. It is after they left the army after the war finished in 1919 that we know nothing about them except that they survived.
We are interested in what happened to them after .. Did they marry and if so are there descendants.
Many Thanks.

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 July 10 16:35 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Frank JONES born 1887 in Bridgnorth and his brother Sidney JONES  born 1889 in Bridgnorth.
I know they both served in the first World War, as did another brother Eli JONES who was very well known around Bridgnorth having sadly losing both legs in that War.
Thanks..

They were very well known in Bridgnorth.
Your best avenue would probably be a letter to the letters page of the local newspaper  - 'The Bridgnorth Journal'
Good Luck !!

Offline Sue65

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 August 10 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi David
I have just read your post, having logged on to this site for the very first time. Eli Jones was my grandfather. If I can help you with any information, please let me know
Regards
Sue

Offline WW1soldierresearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 March 13 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi David
I have just read your post, having logged on to this site for the very first time. Eli Jones was my grandfather. If I can help you with any information, please let me know
Regards
Sue

Hello Sue.

I have just started researching your Grandfather. He must be one of the few Coldstream Guardsmen to have been mentioned in global press during WW1. So far I have found mention of him in Australia and Singapore newspapers. His story is remarkable and must of brought considerable hope to those men who lost limbs during the war, who may of just "given up". It is very heart warming.

I would love to make contact with you and share my findings. Did your family manage to save a photograph of Eli?

Kind regards,

Steven.

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 April 13 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Eli JONES unveiled the Bridgnorth War Memorial on Thursday 9th March 1922.
A newspaper article about the event includes a photograph that shows Eli in his wheelchair amongst the dignitaries.
Just out of interest - do you know where he was buried because I don't think he is in Bridgnorth Cemetery?

Gwynne
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidws

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 April 13 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
Eli JONES was my great uncle.  I do have quite a bit of information and photos of him.
He died on 31 March 1975 and after a service at St Marys Church Bridgnorth was cremated at Emstrey, Shrewsbury on 7th April 1975.
Dave

Offline WW1soldierresearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 April 13 13:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the replies.

Could someone please scan.........or use a digital camera and create a copy, to post up a photograph on the forum? If they do not want to post one could they email it to me please?

I would dearly love a photograph of Eli.

Also, does anyone know the circumstances in which Eli lost his legs? His service papers state GSW wounds to both legs and back. GSW usually means as a result of shell fire. He had only been in France for a little over a month.

Can anyone tell me if anyone has written to J. F. Rowley in the United States to ask them if they still hold his employment records?

And did Eli or his familly donate the legs/stick/chair he used to a museum, can I view them in any museum in the UK? I apologise if this sounds like a rather macabre question, but it seems sensible because there are medical museums who spend a great amount of money and time preserving these important historic items.

Thank you,

Steven.