Author Topic: Cavan To Liverpool  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cavan To Liverpool
« on: Tuesday 08 June 10 20:45 BST (UK) »
My Cavan people (Michael Brady, Bridget Brady, John Brady, Susan Brady) settled in Liverpool in the 1840s does anyone know the route they would have taken? Would it have been by boat via Belfast? They were in Liverpool by 1848 when Michael Brady Junior was born.

C

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cavan To Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 21:25 BST (UK) »
It's a commonly held belief (in my family anyway ;)) that those from the northern regions of Ireland came in from Belfast, and settled in the north of Liverpool (round Kirkdale, Bootle, Walton and such like) as they came in through the north gate.  Those from southern Ireland came via Dublin/Cork, came in through the southern gate,  and settled in the south of Liverpool (round Toxteth Park).

I don't know how true this theory is in practice, but it seems to have been pretty accurate with our lot!
 ;D

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann

My Irish people were all north enders mostly living in the Great Howard Street area. Bradys from Cavan, Hollands from Cork, Reids from Belfast and a Leacy from Wexford. There's a story about one of these families being on their way to America and staying on in Liverpool because the mother was ill while pregnant. They were supposed to have arrived in Liverpool from Belfast. Michael Brady Junior was born in 1848 at a time of mass migration so this story could relate to this Brady family from Cavan.   

C

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 00:07 BST (UK) »
Ah well bang goes that theory then  ::)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 00:18 BST (UK) »
They were free spirited Irish Catholics they baptised their children as RC but married in the C of E ;D

C