Author Topic: Ontario/Hamilton - Paul  (Read 6216 times)

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ontario/Hamilton - Paul
« on: Thursday 10 June 10 11:31 BST (UK) »
I am desperately looking for any information on a Paul family.

Janet Paul (widow) maiden name not known, emigrated after 1918 from Glasgow to Quebec then on to Ontario/Hamilton with 2 children Jean & Robert, their father's name was Sgt.A. Paul (possibly died in the 1914/18 war).

Jean Paul married a Gordon Soverign in Hamilton (date not known), divorced and remarried about 1938 to Dennis Smith, steelworker. He emigrated from Sheffield,Yorkshire about 1933, they had 1 son Robert in 1939.

Robert Paul married a Hazel  (no other details) in Hamilton and they are both deceased.
They had 2 children, Roberta Paul & Wayne Paul, any information on them would be appreciated.

Dennis Smith died 1998 and Jean died several years earlier.

Unfortunately Dennis had to go into hospital in 1997 and the State sealed the house, boxed all belongings and sold everything, not allowing Robert access to paper work or belongings.  Only after his father died was he accepted as next of kin but it was then too late everything had gone.  He obtained a scrap book bought at a Flea Market by a friend who saw it as a numbered box of allsorts.

This is a bit rambling, but this is all the information that Robert has and is desperate to get more.
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Ross & Cromarty, Forsyth Bain.
Kincardine, Forsyth Lownie.
Staffordshire - Smith Steele Hallmark Colclough Dunn Booth Frost.
Shropshire - Tennant.
Sheffield - Savage England Corn Trippett.
Lincolnshire - Savage Smalley Allitt Booth Addison Kirton.
Huntingdonshire - Corn Connington Randall Baxter Booth .

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ontario/Hamilton - Paul
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 June 10 14:21 BST (UK) »
Some ideas and sites that could help in his search.

Robert's parents are Jean Paul and Dennis Smith. He needs to get the marriage certificate through Ontario Vital Statistics to see what information that it has. If he has a birth date for the mother Jean, he should be able to track down a birth certificate for her as well. Sometimes these certificates will give maiden names. The same for the grandmother Janet. Get as many certificates as possible.
Also, if he knows where the gravesites are for all members of the family, sometimes year of birth is on the stone. This could help in future searches. Also contact the cemetery to see if they have more info.

Hamilton Public Library has a "Ask a Librarian" section and if you have specific questions, they may be able to help with things like obituary searches.
www.myhamilton.ca/publiclibrary

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

You can search through this site as you get more information to see if you can match up some births or marriages.
Many parent's named there children after members of there family. That is something to keep in mind when searching. Janet Paul could have had parent's or siblings that she named her children after.

As you piece information together go to the ancestry sites, UK census sites, Canadian census sites.

I couldn't find any info on immigration through ancestor's on board. Where did you get the info from. Sometimes passenger lists give info as to an address or contact in the country coming from or going to. You could also pursue that lead as well.

I would definitely start with the death certificates and go back from there.

Good luck with the search and post info as you find it. There are lots of great searchers on this site but we could use a bit more info.
Val

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 June 10 15:07 BST (UK) »
on the free bmd site

there is a marriage between Arthur W. Paul and Janet Swainson, Sept. 1916, Middlesbro Vol 9d page 941
I haven't found a birth that would match Jean or Robert.

www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/index-e.html
has a Arthur William Paul, Reg #461022

Commonwealth War Graves
http:www.cwgc.org/
has a Arthur William Paul, Reg #461022 died Oct 25, 1916
At this site you can check all Paul's from all nations that died in WW1

You can view attestation papers on line at the collections canada site. You can order complete military files from the same site for a reasonable fee. I would look for more bmd certificates though before ordering a military file as I don't think you have enough info at this time to warrant ordering a military file.

there is also and online directory for phone numbers that you may want to look at
www.canada411.ca

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 June 10 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi valeriec,

Thank you for the info., I have already mentioned to my cousin about getting marriage and death certs for his parents and grandmother Janet Paul, which I thought that he might have done when everything was removed in 97 and never returned, but at the moment I don't think that he is up too it, most unwell, will try to do what I can.

At the moment have possible leads in Scotland that I am going to follow up, have all details on Dennis, my uncle who I never met.

Barry
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Shropshire - Tennant.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 June 10 15:48 BST (UK) »
Good sleuthing valerie...that just may be the correct fellow. Although may not be not relative to the query, I looked for him in 1901 and he was from a huge family.... http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=67021 http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=67022

I found no evidence of a divorce from Jean's marriage... http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/lac-bac/search/all

There are names on the thread for the living...if he has given permission to use his name then it may pass the privacy rules but the living children need to have forenames removed to initials only
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 June 10 16:27 BST (UK) »
I couldn't see any evidence of the three on FindMyPast either...these were the only children I found in in the collections Canada database, and neither born within wartime

a young Robert Paul came to Canada no other surname Paul on board
April 26 1925 Quebec
Ship:MONTCALM
RG76 - IMMIGRATION, series C-1-a
Page Number: 57

a Jean Paul age 6 Nationality: Sco other Pauls listed
April 23 1828 Quebec
Ship:MELITA
RG76 - IMMIGRATION, series C-1-a
Page Number: 95

I suppose the father may have died of his injuries post-war. Like Valerie says, the dates of birth will be important too, as family history gets missconstrued over the years, so who knows what the situation may have really been

The attestation papers for Arthur show he was a lieutenant colonel, War Graves Commission have him as a private  the marriage was to a sergeant?
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=183806
How does he know his ancestor was a sergeant?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 June 10 11:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your imput, this is what has been found in Scotland and it seems to fit.

Alexander Dunlop Paul b.ca 1878 Glasgow m. 1902 to a Janet Roxburough b.ca.1879 Glasgow.
Two children , Robert Roxburgh Paul b. 1906 & Jeannie Paul b. 1903 both Glasgow.

Alexander was a Sargeant in the Territorials 1908-1911 when discharged why??.
No sign of him in the !914-18 casualty list, though I would have thought he would have been called up, so may have seen through or vanished as suggested.
Shropshire - Tennant.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 June 10 13:59 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=461463.new

Link to other thread on this family.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 16:06 BST (UK) »
Link to thread in Scotland where a rootschatter has used her own SP credits to find the information ...there are now also 3 threads on same subject on the Canada board as one was added today
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,461461.0.html