Author Topic: Bather  (Read 4009 times)

Offline Mirador

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bather
« on: Friday 11 June 10 19:25 BST (UK) »
 I would be very interested to make contact with any relatives from my grandmother's family, the Bathers.  She was Hope Agnes Bather, born 1885 and married 1907 to Frank Talbot Southern.  Hope had  at least five siblings including   Mary, Thomas, Elizabeth,  Fred, George.  Thomas Bather married twice, to Louisa Jewell (3 children - Veronica, Reg and Margaret)  and Dorothy Palmer (*)   who would be my mother's first cousin.  Unless they have all emigrated, the Wirral must be pretty well represented as far as Bathers are concerned!  Information gratefully received.

Graham

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bather
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 June 10 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hiya Graham.....there`s a big family of Bather here in Garston,Liverpool...where are your Bather family from in Cheshire ?....allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 June 10 21:40 BST (UK) »
There's a Frank Bather's tyre place on New Chester road Birkenhead.  Been going for years.
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline tilly65

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham,
Just read your message and I am intrigued.
Thomas Bather was my Grandfather and Dorothy Palmer my Grandmother.
I've done quite a bit of research and would be interested in sharing information.

Tilly

Offline Thornett

• RootsChat Member
  • Ada Martha Louise THORNETT & Robert John LEIGHTON
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 October 10 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have found a link to the Bathers of Cheshire in my family.

John & Elizabeth BATHER were born in 1779/1780 and had three children that I know of, Thomas (b.1800), Mary (b. 1806) and William (b.1810). They lived mainly around Neston.

Thomas BATHER married Alice, I don't think they had children.

Mary married William BROWN and had five children, John, Elizabeth, William, Mary (my Great Great Grandmother) & Sarah.

William BATHER married Sarah Williams in 1846 and had 4 children, Elizabeth (b.1847), Ellen (1851-1871), Joseph (1854-1909) and Thomas (1857-1857).

Are these BATHERS linked to your family?
Living in Perth, Western Australia and researching

George & Helen LEIGHTON [McNAUGHTON] from Dundee, emigrated to Melbourne in 1854
John & Ann BOOTH [DOWSON] from Durham, emigrated to Melbourne in 1852
James & Mary THORNETT [BROWN] from Oxfordshire/Cheshire, emigrated to Adelaide in 1876
John & Alice THORNETT [CARPENTER] from Oxfordshire, emigrated to Adelaide in 1877

Offline Mirador

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 20:31 BST (UK) »
Dear Tilly

Thank you for  your message which was very welcome. I apologise for the delay in replying as I have been away recently and had rather forgotten this site!.. My mother was the daughter of Hope Bather (who married Frank Southern in 1907) and as far as I can see had numerous siblings  of whom I knew nothing until very recently, not even the name!  I can only assume that there was some disgrace that resulted in her being ostracised as they clearly did not move far away.

It is quite strange to think that when I was growing up with only a few relatives, there were numerous great aunts and uncles, cousins etc. of whom I knew nothing and I would certainly like to find out more.  Thomas and Dorothy had a son  (*) . He would be my mother's first cousin although twenty five years younger!  Is he still alive? 

I would be most interested to hear from you and learn more about this newly discovered cache of relatives.  My private email is  (*) and my telephone number   (*)  (I now live near Romsey in Southampton).   I was born in Upton   (*) then attended Birkenhead School, went on to Oxford and thereafter taught History and languages in Oxford and Reading.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Best wishes

Graham

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Email & phone number also removed for privacy reasons.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Mirador

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 October 10 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Dear tilly65

Am still hoping to hear from you re Hope Agnes Southern   (nee Bather), my late grandmother and sister of Thomas Bather , born 1886.The family address according to the 1901 census was 9 Mersey View, Lr. Bebington.  She married Frank Talbot Southern in early 1907.  Does this match your records?  I am intrigued, too.

Regards

Graham