Author Topic: FAITHFULLs/POTTICARYs of Longparish  (Read 3339 times)

Offline marianjackson1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FAITHFULLs/POTTICARYs of Longparish
« on: Monday 14 June 10 10:24 BST (UK) »
Is anyone else researching the family of Edward FAITHFULL & Elizabeth POTTICARY of Longparish? I am descended from their son, Walter.
Edward and Elizabeth lived in Malthouse Cottage which still stands today. They had a large family. Most, if not all of their sons left the village to make their way in London with varied levels of success. One of the eldest sons, Charles ran the Chapter Coffee House in Paternoster Row, a stone's throw from St Pauls Cathedral. The Bronte sisters are known to have stayed there when Charles was manager, whilst visiting their publishers in London.
Walter, Edward, George Alexander & Robert Adnam worked as warehousemen and later merchants in the city of London.
I would love to share information with anyone else researching this family.  :)

Offline Trunkybun1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: FAITHFULLs/POTTICARYs of Longparish
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am researching Faithfull's and have been passed a copy of 'The decendants of William Faithfull (bapt. 1699) for seven generations'. This was a family history printed for the Rev RC Faithfull in 1906. Does Edward date back to pre 1906 and does he have a middle name?
Champion, Offen, Sanders, Mercer, Edwards, Baker, Kemp, King, Bell - Kent
Richards, Dening, Zealley/Zeally - Dorset
Hills, Cottington, Osborn/e - Sussex
Faithfull - Hampshire

Offline marianjackson1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Edward was born in 1770. There is no middle name recorded in the parish registers. His children were born between about 1801 and 1820. His father was Alexander Faithfull, descended from a long line of Alexander Faithfulls who originated in Nether Wallop. Alexander's grave is in the churchyard of St Nicholas Church in Longparish.
I haven't found a William Faithfull in this tree yet. What area is this branch of the family from?

Offline Trunkybun1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 23:36 BST (UK) »
I can only think he is in the family history but it is quite complex to search through and it's late tonight. I will look in the morning and let you know if I find him. I think it is highly likely that there is a connection somewhere as our Faithfulls are from Whitchurch and Overton. Are you local to the area?
Faithfull - Hampshire

Offline Trunkybun1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 June 10 09:24 BST (UK) »
 :-\No sign of Edward or any Alexanders except for an A who died young. The earliest Faithfull we have is William Faithfull, labourer at Cold Henley (just n of Whitchuch) who was buried at Whitchurch 1723. Married at Whitchurch to Alice Glover, but don't have his birth. They had 5 daughters and one son. The son, also Wm Faithfull, b 1699 was the Inn keeper of the Poyntz Arms at Overton. He married Elizabeth Jones at Hurstbourne Tarrant in 1727. They had 4 dau and 1 son. The son, again Wm Faithfull, born in Overton1729 m Martha Chamberlain at Ashe 1750. They had 1 dau and 3 sons: William 1750, John 1752 and Richard 1753.

I have been to the Hampshire Record Office and spent some time noting Faithfulls in Whitchurch and Kingsclere but haven't been back to do Longparish, Hurstbourne Tarrant and St Mary Bourne and associated area, as yet. I understand there are more Faithfulls out towards Newbury and Hungerford as well as the Andover direction.
Faithfull - Hampshire

Offline marianjackson1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 June 10 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for looking. I live in Farnborough, Hants so not too far away, although my family are from Islington, descendants of Edward's son Walter.

I used to be in contact with a Brian Faithfull from Australia and I have a feeling his branch of the Faithfulls were from Whitchurch. It is so close to Longparish and yet we never found a connection.

Are you local to Whitcurch/Overton?

Offline Trunkybun1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 June 10 19:35 BST (UK) »
Yes we are from the same branch as Brian. We used to live in Overton but now in Basingstoke. Had no idea that there was a local connection until about 6 months ago!
Faithfull - Hampshire

Offline marianjackson1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 19:25 BST (UK) »
Brian came to see my family probably about 20 years ago! I'd been researching the Faithfulls and had been writing to him. It seems so odd that I could not link my Faithfulls to his when they were living so close geographically!

Offline Trunkybun1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
There has to be a link and I would think that it really can't be far back before 'my' furthest Wm Faithfull. When I looked at the registers at Kingsclere, I think there were quite a few that had not been transcribed which makes them so difficult to read. I guess you have spent plenty of time at the HRO in Winchester then?
Faithfull - Hampshire