Author Topic: Edward Herbert Collingwood MOSS  (Read 1492 times)

Offline marianjackson1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Herbert Collingwood MOSS
« on: Monday 14 June 10 11:28 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was Edward Herbert Collingwood MOSS. As a family we do not know much about him as my great grandmother left him fairly early on in their marriage. They had 2 children; my grandfather Edward, and Dorothy who emigrated to America.
Edward Herbert Collingwood MOSS came from Liverpool and was a Merchant Seaman working as a butcher on the ACCRA, a ship in the Elder Dempster line. He was a warm, likeable man according to my grandmother.
I have not been able to get beyond his marriage to my great grandmother. He was married in 1914 aged 28. We have a letter from him to my grandfather in the 1940's and he puts his address as Moreton, Wirral.
I cannot find his birth certificate. I thought with the middle name Collingwood it would be easier but have not been able to find him.  :(
There are lots of Edward Mosses born in the Liverpool area and I can see lots in the 1891 and 1901 censuses. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can pin him down?
Many thanks for taking the time to read this,  :)

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Herbert Collingwood MOSS
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 June 10 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi marian jackson.
Have you tried looking for any merchant navy records for your man? It will give his DOB & other details plus if lucky a photo of him joining & leaving the merchant navy. If you want web site with ships photos on let me known and will post them for you. I managed to get  the full records of my own father's time in the MN and every ship he sailed on. Plus a photo of every ship.

Migky  ;)

Click 4 MN records at Kew up to 1917

Click 4 MN records at Kew after 1917

Click 4 MN records held at Southampton

Click 4 more resources

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 June 10 14:33 BST (UK) »
What name and occupation did he give for his father on his marriage cert?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marianjackson1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 June 10 20:37 BST (UK) »
Wow, Thank you for all the information! I'll try to find him in the merchant navy records as you suggest, and will keep my fingers crossed he's there with a photo! I'll let you know how I get on.

His father's name was Edward Collingwood Moss and his profession was listed as sergeant-major in the Grenadier Guards but my uncle who was in the army has drawn a blank on that one. We think that may have been wishful thinking or my great grandfather's idea of a joke!

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 06:18 BST (UK) »
Hiya Marian....you say he was 28 when he married in 1914....so he was born  1885/1886 ..so on freebmd there is only ONE Edward Herbert Moss birth.
You say he was from Liverpool and in the Merchant Navy and his dad was a S.Major in the G.Guards....I wouldn`t have thought Edward would have been BORN in Liverpool....probably in a Barracks somewhere....I have looked for the marriage of
Edward Collingwood Moss (the father )  No Results on freebmd ....
so...on freebmd ..the ONLY Edward Herbert Moss was born in
 March qtr 1885 in Bosmere 7a 790 ....if we can find out if there was an Army Barracks around this area it may be a pointer.
Many Merchant Seamen in Liverpool ...there is a thread on this on www.yoliverpool.com just register free and when you are a member have a look around the threads...there is also a thread for MORETON in the Districts - Wider Districts thread....and also a People Search thread under the Pool of Life thread....if you went to the Moreton Thread and posted his name and address in the 1940`s , you may get a response....good luck....allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline marianjackson1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan, I did get that birth certificate but unfortunately the father was't Edward Moss.  :(
I'll try the YoLiverpool website. Many Thanks  :)