Author Topic: Marriage in Gainsboro' circa 1847 - Curtis  (Read 719 times)

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Marriage in Gainsboro' circa 1847 - Curtis
« on: Monday 28 March 05 23:22 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find information on the marriage of my gg Grandparents

Robert Curtis (born around 1819) and
Sarah (Possible maiden name Storm born around 1822).

I think they were probably married in Beckingham, Notts around 1847 but in spite of the kind efforts of Rootschatters on the Nottinghmashire board, we haven't been able to find anything.  Is it possible that Beckingham marriages from this period would have been registered under Lincolnshire rather than Nottinghamshire?

I know this is a bit of a long shot but I think I've found the birth record for their eldest son William registered in Gainsboro' in 1848 although according to the census records he was born in Beckingham.

Any help on this specific enquiry or any general information that anyone might have on BMD registration for this area in the 1840's would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Allan
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline linnet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in Gainsboro' circa 1847 - Curtis
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

There are actually 2 Beckinghams - 1 in Lincolnshire to the east of Newark on Trent which was registered under Newark and 1 in Nottinghamshire to the west of Gainsborough registered under Gainsborough - see www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/places/

Regards

Linnet

Offline Madraykin

• RootsChat Member
  • GGG Grandfather Captain Robert Francis Hodgson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 15:06 BST (UK) »
I'm still looking - have Robert Curtis and wife Sarah living alone in London on the 1881 census (Robert born in 1823 in Beckingham), and he's a 'cab proprietor' - will carry on trying to get the marriage
Hodgson (Durham); Harwood (Lenches, Worcestershire); Henry (Carmarthenshire)<br /><br />All census info is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Madraykin,

I've just found the marriage through the kind help of another Rootschatter and by following a very cortorted route though some other genealogy pages to get Sarah's maiden name.  They were married in Sculcoates, Yorkishire in qSept 1846 (Altough I have no idea why they snuck off to Yorkshire to get married before returning to Beckingham to have their first son 2 years later!).  I have the record for them from the 1881 census although they weren't in fact living alone.  For some reason the transcription in the familysearch database for 49 Bingfield Street, Islington is in two separate records even though the whole family appears on one page in the original census documents (Hope this suggestion to always look at the records either side of the one for your family is useful for others).  Thanks for your help.

Allan

p.s. Thanks for the clarification on the two Beckinghams, Linnet.  Another Rootschatter gave me a bit more information:  Beckingham, Nottinghamshire comes under the registration district for Gainsborough, Lincolnshire and Beckingham, Lincolnshire under Newark, Nottinghamshire.  Confusing eh!
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk