Author Topic: Lookup for Andrew Crawley (Crowley) and Elizabeth Mary Grey McDivett (McDevitt)  (Read 3106 times)

Offline natinoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi there
Do these names sound familiar to anyone? I'm unsure as to who their parents are and when they came out to Australia and on what ship, also if they had family out here already.

Andrew Crawley (maybe Crowley) b. c1828. County Cork, Ireland. m. 1858 (where?)
d. 28 Nov 1909 Nundle, NSW Australia. (Parents names may be John and Julia.)

Elizabeth Mary Grey(Gray?) McDivett (McDevitt?) b. c1836. where? d. 26 June 1902 Nundle NSW Australia.

Elizabeth may have already married and the "Grey" was her past marriage. OR maybe not. hehehe!

Thanks to anyone who may be able to help me.

Natalie Newman from Australia

Newman, Horne, Radoll, Manuel, McDevitt, Mickelburgh, Mickleborough, Mickelborough, Mills, Muller, Legg, Russell, Diamond, Yates, Crowley or Crawley, Perrior, Jenner, Shepherd, Corbett, Kronke, Ward, Mundy, Munday, Parsons, Doring, Schmidt, Smith, Fitzsimmons, Salisbury, Coutman, Price, Duigan, Cole, Vyney, Viney, Jeans, Gray, McDawl, McGaw, Scott, Boatswain.

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Hi,

I would guess that Grey or Gray was her mother's maiden name if it weren't her first marriage. These are all quite common names in Ireland
(See http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline caimein

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup for Andrew Crawley (Crowley) and Elizabeth Mary Grey McDivett (McDevitt)
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 21:54 GMT (UK) »
I believe Elizabeth McDevitt arrived in NSW in 1849 with her mother Margaret and siblings Margaret, Nancy, William and James. Her sister Jane was already in the colony. Jane was living in Aberdeen at the time of their arrival. The other sisters also married in the Hunter Valley/ New England area.
Yours sincerely
Caimein Bowyer

Offline River Dweller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup for Andrew Crawley (Crowley) and Elizabeth Mary Grey McDivett (McDevitt)
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 04:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone

Natalie, I have also been researching Andrew Crawley and Elizabeth McDevitt.
According to my research, Andrew's parents were John Crawley and Julia Guellick. Elizabeth's parents were James McDevitt and Margaret Grey Porter (maybe that's where the Grey name came from!). They were from the eastern Donegal region, it seems.

Also, the research I saw said that Andrew Crawley was from County Meath. Do you have any birth information for him? If he was from County Cork, like you say, that would be way cooler...! I love south-western Ireland!

Thanks
Mitch

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 16:23 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, Mitch  :)

Unfortunately natinoz hasn't been back since May 2005 but hopefully if her e-mail hasn't changed she will receive a notification of your post. If you make at least one more post, you can use the PM (Personal Message) to contact her and exchange e-mail addresses and other information.

Good luck.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 17:00 BST (UK) »

... According to my research, Andrew's parents were John Crawley and Julia Guellick ...

... Also, the research I saw said that Andrew Crawley was from County Meath ...

Is there any actual evidence to support Andrew being born in Co. Meath?  If so, then note the following baptismal record in Oldcastle RC parish, for the information within it isn't quite the same as what you've posted (right page, 4th entry down):

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635241#page/198/mode/1up

February 1830 ...

Andrew S[on] of Andrew Crawly & Judith Gillick
SS [Sponsors] Pat Cawly & Bridget Lynch

(A reasonable speculation is that the sponsor Pat Cawly may actually have been Pat Crawly.)

I haven't researched these folk at all, but I'm concerned on a first glance that Meath is a long way from Cork and that different people may be being conflated - any more information about them would be helpful.

Offline River Dweller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 August 20 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Thanks KG! Hopefully she hasn't changed it...!

Gaffy, that's a very interesting source you sent! My information is coming from someone else's tree, too, so I don't have any real documentation at this stage. That record you sent seems to be applicable. The other family trees I located had Andrew Crawley's birth year as 1828, in County Meath, but this could easily be correct. Judith Gillick seems to be very similar to Julia Guellick. I think this is probably the right person. I know that Andrew Crawley (1828?-1909) and Elizabeth McDevitt (1838-1902, from Donegal) emigrated to Nundle, NSW, Australia, and from what I've seen, that record is probably correct.

It seems possible that two people have been mixed-up, with the whole Cork thing.

Thanks
Mitch

Offline caimein

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 August 20 05:26 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth McDevitt's parents were James McDevitt and Margaret Porter. James died in Donegal in 1843. Margaret migrated to Australia in 1849 with five of her children. Her eldest daughter, Mary Jane was already in NSW. Margaret McDevitt nee Porter married Walter Grey in 1850. Walter Grey had land in Hanging Rock, NSW which was later sold to Andre Crawley.
I have documents supporting all the above information.
Regards
Caimein