Author Topic: Ystalyfera - William (Willie) Thomas  (Read 7163 times)

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ystalyfera - William (Willie) Thomas
« on: Tuesday 15 June 10 20:52 BST (UK) »
Please could someone look up the birth or christening of William (Willie) Thomas, b 1874, son of Edward and Martha Thomas of Ystalyfera, Llanguick, Glamorgan. Edward was a tailor. I have found him on the 1881 census for Ystalyfera as Willie

I also have his marriage to my grandmother Alice Ada Cox in 1902 in Southminster, Essex but I see that he is a widower and I can't find any info on his previous marriage.

If anyone could help I would be very grateful

thanks
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Royffe, Ducro (London, prob Huguenot)
Scotland: Mackrell (Dumbarton)
Wales: Thomas, Jones (Glamorgan)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ystalyfera - William (Willie) Thomas
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 22:21 BST (UK) »
merrymoo,

Might this be him on the 1901 Census?

Mary A Nichols, Head, Widow, 64, Living on Own Means, b. Mannington
William Thomas, Lodger, Single, 27, Tailor, b. Glamorganshire Ystalyfon
Baynes, Arthur B, Lodger, Single, 28, Dredgerman, b. Burnham
Fitch, Bessie M, Niece, 4, b. London W
Address Chapel Rd, Burnham
Reg Dist Maldon, Sub District Southminster

The Enumarator has recorded "Glamorganshire,Ystalyfon".

regards

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hello
Here they are in 1891:
Edward Thomas Head Age 45 Tailor born Llandeusant
Martha Thomas wife Age 39 born Ystalyfera
Willie Thomas son Age 17 Tailor born Ystalyfera
Ivor Thomas Son Age 15 Tinman born Ystalyfera
R A Thomas Daughter Age 14 born Ystalyfera
T A Thomas Daughter Age 11 At School born Ystalyfera
May M Thomas Daughter Age 9  At School born Ystalyfera
Ernest Thomas Son Age 6 At School born Ystalyfera
Edith Thomas Daughter Age 4 At School born Ystalyfera
Joseph W Geach Apprentice Age 14 Tailor Born South Shields

Address: Paris House, Alltygrug Parcel, Pontardawe

RG12 4468/9 Page 77

Morgan

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 19:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys for both of those,  :-* all I need to find now is his birth details and his first marriage if indeed there was one.  ??? I noticed that he's single on the 1901 census but on his marriage certificate in 1902 he's a widower. I hope he's not a bigamist!!   :-[
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hello

It will be more difficult to find his first marriage as we don't know when or where it took place, and his name is very common, especially in Wales. There are around 8 to 10 of that name per year in Neath registration district during the relevant period. If someone could look at Llanguicke marriages, you may get a match but only if his bride was from the same area.  :)

I also found this reference from London Gazette April 10th 1866 which shows that a previous resident at Paris House may have left around 1865:

John Evans, of Paris House, Ystalyfera, in the county of Glamorgan, Draper and Grocer, adjudicated bankrupt on the 24th day of November, 1865. An Order of Discharge was granted by the County Court of Glamorganshire, holden at Neath, on the 5th day of April 1866

Best Wishes
Morgan

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 June 10 07:48 BST (UK) »
Was in Swansea Archives yesterday and checking the Llanguick marriage register was on my list. Didn't have time to get round to it, still on the list but will be there again later today and will check.

regards

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 June 10 10:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both I appreciate your help  :)

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 June 10 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, that was interesting about the previous occupant of Paris House, my family moved there between 1881 and 1891 so maybe they moved in after the bancruptcy. 

Actually, thinking about it, I wonder if the house they lived in on the 1881 census could be Paris House (it is next door to Italian House  :-\) as it is described as the Tailors and Drapers Shop but when I looked up the enumeration district for each year they didn't look like the same place. Perhaps someone with a more knowledgeable eye could tell me.

I also see on the Swansea archives there is a set of 3 pictures including Paris House. The ref is D/D Z 448/11-13 can you tell me how I could get to see this picture without going to Swansea?

thanks again to everyone who has helped  :)

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 June 10 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, that was interesting about the previous occupant of Paris House, my family moved there between 1881 and 1891 so maybe they moved in after the bancruptcy

Sorry misread the date as 1885 not 1865  :-[