Author Topic: Makaraka cemetery near Gisborne *COMPLETED*  (Read 16328 times)

Offline 777

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Makaraka cemetery near Gisborne
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 21:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you Summit,

Not my Lachlan as I know that he was born in Alvie, Scotland. 
Peter I will attempt to get back to his family's arrival in Australia and see whether they were from the same area in Scotland.

Thanks again.
Roberts, McIntosh, Steggall, Arnaboldi, Debus, McKenzie,Waugh, Kennedy ,Bassett, Cook, Graham

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 July 10 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am heading down to Gisborne next week I can try and see what's there if you like.  I'm taking my trusty camera ;)  The Council has book with headstone inscriptions in it :)
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline Summit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 July 10 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwi Girl

Wonderful!  If you need a further reference - the block number is MKM and the plot number is 1088.

Thanks for your offer of help - much appreciated.
Summit

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 05:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there, found the cemetery - but pouring with rain here - will try later this week to get the pic.

Went to the library and found they had microfilm for the Gisborne Herald for that time.  Here is her death noticed.

Will be back in touch when I have the pic.

;D

Removed pic
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 05:36 BST (UK) »
Sorry that's bigger than I thought it would be I'll leave it there till tomorrow and then take it down and email it to you if you pm me your addy.  I'm away from home and don't know how to scale that down from here...

:-\

Offline 777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Roberts, McIntosh, Steggall, Arnaboldi, Debus, McKenzie,Waugh, Kennedy ,Bassett, Cook, Graham

Offline Summit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 07:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the efforts - pity about the rain but that's the way it goes!

Yes, I was able to access the smaller version in Papers Past, so thanks for that link, too.

The strange thing was I could not find a death certificate in New Zealand's BDM records.
Any ideas why this is the case, please?

Summit

Offline 777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 07:27 BST (UK) »
Summit it may be on the death microfiche. These are still able to be looked at. The digitalizing of them has been a boon for genealogists but many entries never made the transition.
I can look on the fiche for you next week.

Offline Summit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 08:01 BST (UK) »
That would be great - thanks so much for the offer.

Summit