Author Topic: Haggas/Haggis and variations from Northowram  (Read 4994 times)

Offline Debe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Haggas/Haggis and variations from Northowram
« on: Monday 21 June 10 04:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am having problems and a big headache  trying to unravel my HAGGIS/HAGGAS family from Northowram Yks.

I thought I had  found my gg grandmother's parents and siblings but on receipt of the certificate of her 2nd marriage I have been left in a quandary.

Hannah HAGGAS was bn c1810 Northowram, according to her age at the time of her 2nd marriage and her 1870 death. I can't find a positive birth entry in a Parish register for her.

Originally I came to the conclusion her parents were Daniel HAGGAS a stone delver and Sarah HORSFIELD  but on her 2nd marriage in 1844 to Miles BIRKBECK it  states on the certificate  her father was William HAGGIS a stone delver.I note that Miles's father was also a William which made me wonder if the person filling in the certificate  got it wrong!

I have done some research and found a William HAGGIS, stone delver, married a Hannah SPENCER at Northowram 1810 and they had 5 known children but none recorded as my Hannah!

The reason I thought she may have been the d/o Daniel & Sarah was an entry on the IGI for Northowram but it  had no film/ batch number that I could order other than it was a patron submission, so I can't positively ID the entry as mine.

Her 1st marriage in 1832 does not have her father recorded  in the  Parish Register as appears to have been the  practise in the Parish registers of the era.

Now I am in a quandary as the Hannah  on the IGI was apparently  b 1816 which if it was my gg Grannie would have been 16 when she married - nothing unusual for the 1830's I guess.

Is there anyway or anywhere I can research  to find out just who my Hannah's parents were? I am leaning towards William HAGGIS & Hannah SPENCER but have no definite proof other than what was on the certificate of her 1844 2nd marriage and as I said before I am a little suspicious of that fro the reasons previously outlined.

Thanks for  your patience reading this rather long post. I hope I haven't confused you all but would love some guidance with this problem

Deb

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Haggas/Haggis and variations from Northowram
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 June 10 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb,
 Can I ask how certain you are that your Haggas family were from Northowram ?
I have just had a quick look on findmypast.com  and in 1841 nearly all of the enumerated 141 Haggas families were living in Keighley with others in Bradford and none in Halifax.
Haggis families were more widespread but not in the Halifax area.
Unfortunately IGI is down at the moment so I couldn't have a look on there.
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 June 10 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am having problems and a big headache  trying to unravel my HAGGIS/HAGGAS family from Northowram Yks.

Hannah HAGGAS was bn c1810 Northowram, according to her age at the time of her 2nd marriage and her 1870 death.

I can't find a positive birth entry in a Parish register for her.

On her 2nd marriage in 1844 to Miles BIRKBECK it  states on the certificate  her father was William HAGGIS a stone delver.

I have done some research and found a William HAGGIS, stone delver, married a Hannah SPENCER at Northowram 1810 and they had 5 known children but none recorded as my Hannah!

Is there anyway or anywhere I can research  to find out just who my Hannah's parents were?
I am leaning towards William HAGGIS & Hannah SPENCER but have no definite proof

Deb

Hi Deb

Don't know if this will be of any help

1851c HO107/2302/353/10

William HAGGIS 1789 Northowram Stone Delver
Hannah 1789 Ovenden
John 1813 Stone Delver Northowram
Robert 1824
Jonas 1831

on IGI pilot following info. for baptism/christening to parents William & Hannah

Jonas HAGGIS/HAGGES
chr. 9/2/1831 Methodist New Connexion, Amblethorn, Yorkshire

Sarah HAGGIS bn 6/8/1825 ch. 3/10/1825 Methodist New Connexion

William HAGGIS bn 6/3/1817 ch. 12/10/1817   "          "        "

following names do not have a baptism place only parents name William & Hannah HAGGIS & birth date (non-conformist records)

John 20/9/1812
Martha 3/6/1815
HANNAH 2/12/1819
Alice 1/3/1821
Robert 21/3/1823
Spencer 4/2/1828

Not much help on 1841c only the same three boys with them

1841c HO107/1303/6 Halifax

HAGGNESS
William 50 Stone Delver
Hannah 50
John 25
Robert 15
Jonas 10

Did Hannah have any children from her first marriage, that may link the names?

I see from 1851 census that Miles & Hannah BIRKBECK
had 6 children
Hannah, Nancy, William, George, Samuel & Mary A

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 June 10 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

I thought Dave was probably right, as there is not a single HAGGAS (or variants) baptism in the Halifax St John's parish registers up to 1812. However, Northowram has a long history of nonconformity, and many inhabitants christened their children at the Independent chapel in Northowram.
There are, however eight HAGGAS marriages in the 1768-1811 period as everyone, nonconformist or not, had to marry in the established parish church between 1754 and 1837.

Six out of the eight give Northowram as the abode.
The earliest one is the marriage of Dan  HAGGAS on 22nd August 1768. He's a weaver of Northowram and marries Sarah HORSFIELD of Northowram. Neither party was able to sign their name, and the witnesses were James Murgatroyd and William Hartley.
Betty HAGGAS (married 8.9.1799 to John MITCHELL) and Sarah HAGGAS (married 2.12.1804 to David HAIGH, a militiaman of Colchester) give their abodes as Halifax and Ovenden respectively, but all the following give their abode as Northowram:

James HAGGAS (delver) 4.11.1805 to Grace HORSFALL
Joseph HAGGAS (weaver) 4.9.1809 to Grace IBBOTSON
William HAGGAS (weaver) 3.12.1809 to Grace MARSLAND
William HAGGAS (labourer) 5.3.1810 to Hannah SPENCER
Daniel HAGGAS (delver) 7.10.1811 to Sarah SMITH
Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline Debe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 June 10 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,
I am reasonably sure that my HAGGAS lot were from Northowram as the census records I have found so far have Northowram as place of birth.

On the PR entry for the marriage of gg Grannie Hannah to Joseph BAIRSTOW in 1832  they were both of the parish of Northowram.

I have yet to find any evidence that the lot I am looking at were from anywhere else. If William is her father then on the 1851 census he is recorded as being born in Northowram. Perhaps he thought he was but in reality was born elsewhere!

Deb

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 June 10 10:28 BST (UK) »
Yes, picking up from Ladyhawk's reply - Ambler Thorn is on the Halifax/ Bradford border at Queensbury (then Queen's Head) The Methodist New Connection had 2 graveyards, the chapel is now demolished and one of the graveyards has been built on. I am not sure which methodist circuit it came under for the registration purposes, perhaps Wibsey, but I do know that transcripts of MI's and burial books are held at Bradford Library.
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Offline Debe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 June 10 10:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ladyhawk for those census entries. Bit concerned about the Hannah bn 1819. If that is my Hannah then she would have been 13 when she married Joseph in 1832! Ouch.

I really do believe I am not going to make a positive connection with  this lot.

I do have 4 small squares of fragile  brown paper dated 1833 & 1835 with  the heading of Methodist New Connexion  and they each have a biblical text on them but have my gg grandfather's name Joseph BAIRSTOW written on them and I know he marked his name with  a cross on the marriage entry in the Parish Register so I am thinking they were non-conformists which may make my task even harder than it already is.

Hannah HAGGAS & Joseph BAIRSTOW had  only 1 known child, my g grandfather Isaac who seems to have been named after his grandfather Isaac.

On the 1841 census of Northowram the household consists of Hannah age 30,  Stuff weaver, Isaac age 6 and Sarah HAGGAS age 15.
2 doors away is stone delver Daniel HAGGAS age 65, Sarah 65 & John 15 and that added to the confusion.
Thanks for your info Ladyhawk
Deb

Offline Debe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 June 10 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,
Interesting considering my pieces of paper with the New Connexion connection that I inherited many  years ago.

I am now having serious doubts that Hannah's parents were William HAGGAS & Hannah SPENCER.

Think  I will have to check out the William HAGGAS & Grace MARSLAND union that Ladyhawk found and see of I can find any connection with that.
Thanks for you help
Deb

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 June 10 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb

Missed that Isaac BAIRSTOW was the stepson of Miles BIRKBECK and Hannah's son on 1851 census.

Sarah HAGGAS age 15 on 1841 census with Hannah age 30 & Isaac BAIRSTOW age 6 was born 1826 and the baptism at Methodist New Connexion was 1825 daughter of William & Hannah.

Is it possible they have put the wrong birth date for Hannah  :-\

Added

just checked IGI for all HAGGIS/AS/ES childrens records extracted and Hannah date still 1819 and all baptisms Methodist New Connexion Amblethorn