Author Topic: Cemetery Records - Stoneykirk/Kirkmaiden  (Read 33188 times)

Offline Esspee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetery Records - Stoneykirk/Kirkmaiden
« Reply #27 on: Monday 26 December 22 15:12 GMT (UK) »
I am new to rootschat so I’m unsure of how this works but I am interested is a puzzle with my 3rd gt grandmother Elizabeth Wither b.1811 in Leswalt.  She married my 3rd gt grandfather James McHarg in 1828 in Portpatrick and they had 3 children, Alexander, whom I’m descended from, b.1829, Mary b.1832 and John b.1834 after which she fades from the scene to be replaced by a Minnie Adair (wife) in the 1941 census and Minnie and James have 2 children, Margaret b.1840 and James b. 1841.  In the 1851 census Minnie is down as Minnie McHarg (spouse) and as the mother to all 5 children.
On the surface it looks like a routine first wife dies and a second takes over although I cannot find a marriage between Minnie and James.
Then I discovered Elizabeth alive using her maiden name living with her father in the 1841, 51 and 61 censuses.  In the 1871 and 1881 censuses she is head of the household her father presumably dying.
If anyone can shed any light on this family I would be most appreciative.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 26 December 22 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!

Try the Kirk Session minutes at https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/advanced-search .

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Esspee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian.  I had not been aware that was available on Scotlandspeople.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian.  I had not been aware that was available on Scotlandspeople.
They only became available some time in the last year or so.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 12 January 23 03:46 GMT (UK) »
I have Robert Thompson and wife Agnes Neilson who had 6 or so children baptized at Kirkmaiden from 1817 to 1842, some of them may be buried there. I've not located any death records.

McJeffs
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline Esspee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 29 October 23 16:11 GMT (UK) »
To everyone who kindly tried to help in my search for Elizabeth Wither I would like to give an update.
She married James McHarg in 1828, had 3 children with him then vanished from the records.  Her place was taken by a Minnie Adair who had 2 children with James and presumably they married as they were husband and wife according to their death certificates.  I still don’t have a birth or death record for Elizabeth nor a marriage record for Minnie and James.
What I have discovered is a Portpatrick census done in 1832 by the Reverent Andrew Urquhart then assistant minister to the Rev. John McKenzie.  In it on page 57 he lists James McHargue [sic], Elizabeth Wither, their first two children and Elizabeth’s mother Janet McBride.  If the age given for Elizabeth is correct it confirms that there are two Elizabeth Withers in Wigtonshire at this time.  On Scotlandspeople I could find only one so mistakenly assumed she was the person James married.
So it looks like the simplest explanation is the correct one.  Elizabeth probably died, Minnie moved in to care for the three children, eventually married James and had two children with him.
I will continue to search for definitive proof but in the meantime thanks everyone for your generous help.

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 05 November 23 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Esspee, is it possible to obtain a copy of the Portpatrick census done in 1832 by the Reverent Andrew Urquhart.

Mick

To everyone who kindly tried to help in my search for Elizabeth Wither I would like to give an update.
She married James McHarg in 1828, had 3 children with him then vanished from the records.  Her place was taken by a Minnie Adair who had 2 children with James and presumably they married as they were husband and wife according to their death certificates.  I still don’t have a birth or death record for Elizabeth nor a marriage record for Minnie and James.
What I have discovered is a Portpatrick census done in 1832 by the Reverent Andrew Urquhart then assistant minister to the Rev. John McKenzie.  In it on page 57 he lists James McHargue [sic], Elizabeth Wither, their first two children and Elizabeth’s mother Janet McBride.  If the age given for Elizabeth is correct it confirms that there are two Elizabeth Withers in Wigtonshire at this time.  On Scotlandspeople I could find only one so mistakenly assumed she was the person James married.
So it looks like the simplest explanation is the correct one.  Elizabeth probably died, Minnie moved in to care for the three children, eventually married James and had two children with him.
I will continue to search for definitive proof but in the meantime thanks everyone for your generous help.
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline Esspee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 05 November 23 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Mick,
I have PM’d you with my email address as I can send you the photos I have.
For the record, I knew there was a copy in Utah but couldn’t work out how to get sight of it.  I was told that perhaps Dumfries and Galloway libraries held a copy but after being told by the Mitchell Library in Glasgow that they couldn’t locate a copy anywhere a delightful real librarian in the Mitchell disappeared for 15 minutes and came back with a previously unread copy.
So for anyone searching there is one in Glasgow.

Offline Esspee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 05 November 23 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Final or penultimate post regarding the elusive Elizabeth Wither.

Having discovered her on the Urquhart census together with her husband and first two children I now had her age and mother’s maiden name.  A session on Scotlandspeople gave me her mother’s marriage to Alexander Wither and the baptism dates of their children.  The child born in the year Elizabeth was born was entered without a name which explains how the confusion arose.
I am convinced I now have the correct line so the story is almost over.  All I need now is her death record then I will be completely satisfied.

If anyone has any ideas how I might find this I would be extremely grateful.