Author Topic: Meehan  (Read 7689 times)

Offline Meehan_93

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Meehan
« on: Wednesday 23 June 10 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, was just wandering if anyone could help me find out some information about my great-grandparents, i know my great-grandfather was called Thomas Patrick Meehan, but not my great grandmothers name, they had a son called John Meehan (my grandfather) and i believe they lived in Yorkshire, thanks for any help.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Meehan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 22:57 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat but where's the Irish connection? You haven't given any dates either so it's difficult to say what records might be available or where to search next.
If you start with your grandfather's birth certificate it will list his mother's name and then you can start searching for their marriage record, etc. English census records might also give clues as to dates and places.
If you can give us more details we'll try to help you.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline nholloway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Was Thomas born in Carlow circa 1905?  If so we have a connection.

I have his mother and her family but not the father or anything about Thomas after that. 

I know that his mother and Thomas moved to Yorkshire sometime between 1905 and 1910

Would that be the same family?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately Meehan_93 didn't return to Rootschat to give us more details.

I see Thomas Meehan with mother Agnes and grandmother Bridget Hutton in 1911 census- the census was filled out incorrectly and says Agnes married 7 years which should have made it easier to find the Christian name of Thomas' father. However, there is no Hutton marriage in Carlow c1904 or marriage for an Agnes Hutton in Ireland around that date that I can see in the civil registration index.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Carlow/Carlow_Urban/Pellerton_Road/912613

Thomas' birth certificate should list his father's name and occupation. I did find a possible birth registration for Thomas Meehan: July/Sept.1904 Carlow registration district volume 3 page 310.
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347

Offline nholloway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for replying.  I have only just starting researching Thomas Meehan as Agnes is my family and have been working on her side.  I havent as yet looked for her marriage cert of the birth cert for Thomas.

How do you know the census is incorrect?

I will check out those website you listed

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 16:32 GMT (UK) »
There are often errors (misinformation, mistranscription) in census records but for 1901 and 1911 you can view the actual scanned images.
The 1911 census asked married women how many years married, how many children born and how many children living so Agnes' mother shouldn't have filled in those details,

Offline nholloway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I'm a bit confused.  I do have the printed copy of this census.

So you are saying that Bridget shouldnt have filled in the information regarding Agnes so should Agnes have filled in the census herself.    We assumed that Agnes husband was possible working away or something but I wonder was she even married.  She does use the name Meehan when she moved to UK.  I may try and get the birth cert I think.

Thanks again

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 16:43 GMT (UK) »
No, in the 1911 census Agnes' mother Bridget is listed as married 49 years, 8 children/8 living but those details should not have been filled in she she was a widow and not a married woman,

Offline nholloway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Ok.  I think I understand what you are saying.

The copy I have does show Bridget as widowed but has a mark through the 8 children and 49 years