Author Topic: RUSSELL - William and brother - can't find brother  (Read 4334 times)

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
RUSSELL - William and brother - can't find brother
« on: Monday 28 June 10 07:09 BST (UK) »
... me again  ;D

... my researching has come unstuck with the RUSSELL's again  ::) ... this time  William and his brother

... William is done and dusted, including death cert.

... his brother is being much more difficult as little is known of him ... family recollections have been ...
... that he was 10 years older than William and so born around 1910 in the Glasgow area (William was born in Baillieston - parents married in 1909).
... further that he may have been in the Banff area in 1936 (William goes there to live with him for a short time after their mothers death in Glasgow)
... he is alive in 1947 when he refuses to attend Williams wedding because William was marrying a Sassenach  :(

... what I have done so far ...
... searched and 'grazed' through libindx ... in the hope that Banff meant Moray and so perhaps he went back to the 'old farm' to work for an uncle, and perhaps married and died in the district - no result
... on SP I get too many hits to pursue because of his very common first name and if I add either of his possible 'middle' names (MacGregor or Cumming) I get no hits on SP ... dunno if SP 'likes' extra names  ???
... have membership at Ancestry, but nothing is coming up there ... but am still getting used to the site ...  :(

... as Williams brother could now be 100 (very doubtful ... as no males past 75 on that tree) I haven't given his name in this post ... but can on a PM (that's correct??)

... any help or guidance would be appreciated ... thanks  :)

... ... just a thought ... if he did get to 100 he'd get a telegram/birthday card from the Queen ... geesh, that'd melt his socks!!  ;D ;D

CHADWICK - Amersham/Bethnal Green, UK
FOSH/FOUACHE - London, UK
ESTALL - Bethnal Green, UK
LOCKHART - Airdrie/Springburn/Baillieston Scotland
McGREGOR/McGRIGOR - Gartly, Scotland
RUSSELL/RUSSEL/RUSSAL - Mortlach, Scotland

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: RUSSELL - William and brother - can't find brother
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 June 10 09:21 BST (UK) »
Have you tried searching for William's brother under his mother's maiden name?

He may have been born before they were married.

Anne

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 June 10 10:19 BST (UK) »
Have you tried searching for his death at SP using his mother's maiden name?

ie - search for a male Russell no first name and enter his mother's maiden name in the appropriate box.

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 June 10 15:48 BST (UK) »
Have you tried searching for William's brother under his mother's maiden name?

He may have been born before they were married.

Anne

... no I hadn't tried that and thanks for the suggestion ... have now ... got two hits on SP in 1908, looked at the Airdrie one, but they were married  :( ... got 5 hits on SP in 1909, looked at the Old Monkland one ... again, married ...  :( :(

Have you tried searching for his death at SP using his mother's maiden name?

ie - search for a male Russell no first name and enter his mother's maiden name in the appropriate box.

... no I hadn't tried that and thanks for the suggestion ... have now ... restricted the years to 1947-2006(max) and got a female ...

... I'm really at a loss now as to where/how else to look

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 June 10 20:26 BST (UK) »
Did you use 'Wildcards' for any variant(s) of spelling e.g. if his mother's surname was Mc/MacSomething, key in M*cSomething?  That would result in all Mc's and Mac's. Same goes for other likely spelling variations.

Apart from that - I'm stumped too!  :-\

Anne

P.S. If you want, send me the names by PM and I'll see if I can find anything.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 June 10 22:33 BST (UK) »
The further you go into the 20th Century, the harder it becomes to search unfortunately on line.

You no longer have the benefit of IGI (as you know, this stops around 1874). The current last census available for Scotland is 1901 (the 1911 Scottish census will help you but not due to be released until Spring next year).

To go on a fishing expedition on SP for a common name without any further info gets mighty expensive as I am sure you are finding (units disappear into puffs of SP smoke!). You are also going to begin to be restricted on SP with what images you can view on line (births currently to 1909, marriages 1934 and deaths 1959). You then need to order those certs which fall outside of the on line viewing periods. Does get frustrating  :-\

From what you have said, being overseas means you can't pop along to a genealogy centre in Scotland where you can view more 'modern' certificates on line there.

Some of the things that people try, you are already doing (checking for entries with middle names, looking at deaths with mother's maiden name etc). You can also check for births where they may have used family names for their own children with known surnames as middle names which are frequently used in Scotland as you are finding.

Other things to check for are whether they appear as informants to family deaths or witnesses to siblings' marriages but I'm not sure if you know the names of other siblings and, from what you have said, father and mother died early.

I don't think you know whether he married and if so, wife's name. Married women's deaths are easier to search for on SP as you can search for both maiden and married surnames. If you find the right entry, you can find out if spouse is alive or deceased at the time of wife's death, which helps narrow down the time frame for your searches.

Not sure whether any of these suggestions may be of use to you  :-\ Hard search.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 June 10 23:36 BST (UK) »
Did you use 'Wildcards' for any variant(s) of spelling e.g. if his mother's surname was Mc/MacSomething, key in M*cSomething?  That would result in all Mc's and Mac's. Same goes for other likely spelling variations.

Apart from that - I'm stumped too!  :-\

Anne

P.S. If you want, send me the names by PM and I'll see if I can find anything.

... thanks for replying ... hadn't thought of the wildcards, will try that (... sooo much to learn  ::) ... ) ... have sent PM with names ... thank you for offering to help  :)

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 00:10 BST (UK) »
... ... The current last census available for Scotland is 1901 (the 1911 Scottish census will help you but not due to be released until Spring next year). ... ...
Monica

... I really hope that's the northern hemisphere spring  :)

... ... You are also going to begin to be restricted on SP with what images you can view on line (births currently to 1909, marriages 1934 and deaths 1959)
Monica

... yeppers, just my luck ... am looking for a birth around 1910, a marriage (if he married) that's 1930+ and a death that's sometime after 1947  ::) ... oh, this hobby is fun  ;D

... ... I don't think you know whether he married and if so, wife's name. ... ...
Monica

... no, family has very little knowledge of him and nothing as to whether he married or not ...

Not sure whether any of these suggestions may be of use to you  :-\ Hard search.
Monica

... every suggestion is helpful and very much appreciated ... so, I'll try the wildcards (suggested by apanderson) and hope that more "thinking outside of the square" readers can help with suggestions ... and of course wait for the 1911 census which may reveal that his middle name was Alphonse, or some such unthought of name  ;D ;D

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 April 11 19:30 BST (UK) »
The further you go into the 20th Century, the harder it becomes to search unfortunately on line.

You no longer have the benefit of IGI (as you know, this stops around 1874). The current last census available for Scotland is 1901 (the 1911 Scottish census will help you but not due to be released until Spring next year). ........

Monica
... ok, I waited patiently for the 1911 census ... it confirmed that James really existed, he was six months old and living with his parents (William and Marion) at Hardhill Tce, Bathgate ... now I'm reeeally stuck  ??? ... guess I'll have to wait for the 1921 census for more info on this elusive Uncle  :( :(