Author Topic: John Saxby, will dated 1790, Goldhill, Hadlow (Tonbridge) Kent  (Read 4727 times)

Offline miles_hagen_bown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Saxby, will dated 1790, Goldhill, Hadlow (Tonbridge) Kent
« on: Tuesday 29 June 10 17:56 BST (UK) »
I would like to find the line of my G G G Grandmother, Ann Miles nee Saxby. She is mentioned in the will of her father, John Saxby, b. abt 1718-1720 died in Goldhill, Hadlow (Tonbridge) Kent. His will mentions his wife's name as Elizabeth, and four other children; Elizabeth who married Richard Mercer, John, Henry and Michael. I think his wife, Elizabeth, may be Elizabeth Basset or Bassett of Cowden, Kent (IGI extracted file for Parish of Cowden, John Saxby m. Elizabeth Basset in 1743). I would like to confirm that, it seems likely that it is so however by IGI records for her and for their first son John who was born in Cowden. If it is Elizabeth Basset or Bassett, she has a family line there in Cowden.

However I cannot trace John's parents with any certainty; there are several likely candidates. I thought perhaps he was the John Saxby born in Leybourne, Kent in 1718 since he has some Leybourne property in his will, but that is just a hunch. There are several other John Saxbys born in Kent at this time within a few years.

Anyone have this line?

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Saxby, will dated 1790, Goldhill, Hadlow (Tonbridge) Kent
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 19:49 BST (UK) »
There was a John SAXBY baptised at Penshurst 14th March 1714 son of John & Elizabeth.

http://www.penshurst-online.co.uk/web_regimages/287-1-2_p17.jpg

Any good?

Not sure how you can work out the right one but are a few possibilities on the FamilySearch Pilot

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=home

and there are more in Sussex.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline miles_hagen_bown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 02:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for posting. That is where I am stuck, several look good.
He lived in Hadlow (Tonbridge) Kent
He left property in Penshurst, which is a lead here; the John and Elizabeth you found, and Speldhurst
Property in Chiddingstone and Cowden, Kent which could be tied to his wife (Bassett)
Property in Leybourne so he could be son of William and Elizabeth of Leybourne.
I would say those two are good leads, though, again, there are several.
also Withyham, Sussex

Thanks for posting.

Offline miles_hagen_bown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 02:47 BST (UK) »
Hmm now I am confused. I checked the link to FamilySearch as I had not seen that John Saxby of Penhurst, and it comes up John Saxbey born 14 March 1714 in Pembury to John and Elizabeth Saxbey, so I think it is not who I am searching for. I think so far Leybourne is my best bet.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Offline sharona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
i have a Elizabeth Saxby  1714 Brenchly kent married to a John Bassett 1695-1769 i don't know if you were the one i asked about this before sorry if i have repeated myself. John and Elizabeth got married in 1736 Speldhurst Kent. Do you have these in your tree or is it a different family.
Thanking you
Sharon
Richardson Sussex, Bassett, Carrington, Adkins, Balcombe Kerr, Macleod, Graham, Kinross, Lennox, Anderson, Cunningham, Henderson, Nobbs, Hobley and many more

Offline miles_hagen_bown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Elizabeth Saxby m. John Bassett, is sister to my John Saxby who married Elizabeth Bassett.

Re: the Bassetts, John Bassett is son of John Bassett and Anne Cronke. Elizabeth Bassett was a grand-daughter so they had a relationship too. There are two good Bassett family websites that I have found, that seem to agree on this line. bassett.newtons-online.net and bassettbranches.org which has a dna project going.

I have determined that John Saxby and his sister, Elizabeth, were the children of an earlier post, John and Elizabeth Saxby of Penshurst. I do not have a surname for this mother, Elizabeth. This I determined through some Penshurst Church records, links in above post (THANK YOU bearkat). Children from late 1600s to abt 1716 would be Richard, Elizabeth m John Bassett, Ann, Susannah, Mary, John m Elizabeth Bassett, Robert, Henry. I do not have an earlier generation for certain, possibly Henry and Ann Saxby.

All of these Johns and Elizabeths make my head spin, especially with the repeating last names.