Author Topic: Tal-Y-bont in Llanfair PG?  (Read 3277 times)

Offline rach87

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Tal-Y-bont in Llanfair PG?
« on: Tuesday 29 June 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace one of my ancestors called Ellen Williams b. 1851/2 in Conway/Conwy. On her daughters baptism parish register (St Mary's church Llanfair PG) in 1872 she is down as living in 'Tal-Y-Bont'. However being local I am aware of more than one 'Tal-Y-Bont' in that North Wales (Llanrwst  and Bangor areas), or does it mean a house name or road in Llanfair PG called Tal-Y-Bont, is there any other information I could find out on her living there without referring to the census (I don't think she lived there in 1871 or 1881 so that wouldn't help anyway)

many thanks in advance

Rach :)
Williams, Anglesey, Colwyn Bay, Ruthin, Henllan, Capel Garmon

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Tal-Y-bont in Llanfair PG?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 20:55 BST (UK) »
In 1871 there is no property showing as Tal y Bont in the Llanfair PG census returns.
I suppose you could search through the pages in other years. ???
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline rach87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 21:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your time. Do you know if the 'Abode' section stands for a property name/ street or is it the name of the village/town they come from? Ellen's daughter Elizabeth Ellen was illegitimate and I think she had a very interesting (unknown) father, judging by the various cover ups and dead ends I have come across, not the usual illegitimate story, frustrating however!

Thanks again
 :)

Offline cae howell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 21:41 BST (UK) »
Tal-y-bont is in or was in Llangeinwen just outside Llanfair PG well know house in the district is Plas Newydd hope that will help you
griffiths Anglesey,, thomas Holyhead,,Liverpool

Offline rach87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 21:53 BST (UK) »
Yes it does help allot thank you very much. I am aware of Plas Newydd, I live near Llandudno and I have visited there before. I am determined to get to the bottom of it, no matter how impossible it may be! hehe

Thanks again

Rach  ;D

Offline cae howell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 22:11 BST (UK) »
Tal y Bont is in the book Pedigrees of Anglesey & Carnarvonshire families by J E Griffiths if you hav'nt got the book you can buy a cd version from Ebay  I assume it must be a large house or a farm
griffiths Anglesey,, thomas Holyhead,,Liverpool

Offline rach87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 22:15 BST (UK) »
I have just looked up the 1871 census for Llangeinwen sadly she isn't on it, however she must be in the area somewhere because she gave birth to her illegitimate daughter in her parents house 'railway terrace' Llanfair PG  and then after the 1871 census in the July she is living in this Tal-Y-Bont. I will have a look at this book/CD  on ebay, you have been of a great help thanks!

Rach  :)

Offline GillyJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 July 10 23:30 BST (UK) »
I know LLanfair P G well and I think there was a cottage at the top end of the village beyond what was first the autopalace garage, then a supermarket. It was on the left - a very low cottage in a row - almost the last house on the left before you leave the village - may have been called TALBONT or TALYBONT. The railway cottages must have been the terrace close to the railway crossing in the middle of the village.