Author Topic: change of email address  (Read 2610 times)

Offline cranbourne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
change of email address
« on: Thursday 01 July 10 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hello, please can anyone tell me how to change my email address.  I have been into Profile and tried to change it there but without success. 

Regards

Lin
 :)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: change of email address
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 July 10 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Lin,

Great question!

Go to the top of Rootschat and press the "Profile" button on the menu bar.

Then on that page, down the left-hand side are a number of menu options.

The one you need is the one called "Membership Related Settings"

On that page, next to Email: put in your new email address, and about five spaces down enter your current password (that's the password you use at the moment).

The 'enter password' bit that is the one thing most easily left out. It's not possible to change the email address without re-entering your password. This is to prevent people from changing your details whilst you are away from your computer (for example on a shared computer).

Although you don't have to, whilst you are there, you may as well also fill in the "Secret Question" and "Answer" - this will help you to be able to log in if you ever forget your password.

Then press "Change Profile".

Remember to enter your new email address really carefully, and double-check it before clicking "Change Profile".

You should get a confirmation email to your new email address.

Trystan
RootsChat Caretaker

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 July 10 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Tristan
Not sure that this is a great question  :-\
I have previously posted a now locked thread about my email notifications which have been absent since 10 Jan this year http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,430159.0.html
I am now accustomed to coming in frequently and checking unread replies to posts, would find it preferrable though to have email notifications especially for the PM's.
Question is ... should I go through the change email procedure to see if that will rectify the notifications
Cheers
 :) mare

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 July 10 13:43 BST (UK) »
Another good question!

(Not quite such a good answer, though)

Quite possibly, yes. It's worth a try.

Your current email provider could be blocking emails from Rootschat, or perhaps accidentally marked as 'spam' at some point.

Trystan

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 July 10 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Mare,

I was with the same provider as you a few years ago and they were "blocking/spaming" my emails from a mailing list that started with "Roots*

Wasn't until I made a phone call to them, they were under the impression it was spam because of the  word "Roots" ... I guess down here the word is taken in a different context.   

Have you tried phoning them, yeah I know, we usually have half an hour to wait and then end up speaking to someone in India.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 July 10 21:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tristan ... and HP, think we have covered the spam idea already and no idea why anything would abruptly change on that front ... we've just had some dealings with provider over the past 2 weeks and although email info correspondence was rather unhelpful, we had brilliant service by phone ...   followed up of course by an email questionnaire of some length re their service!  :) mare

Offline cranbourne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 July 10 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Trystan

Thanks for your reply re changing email address.  The procedure you provided I had already carried out and was very careful about putting in my current password before clicking on Change Profile, however my email address remains unchanged.  When I click Change Profile there is a slight delay (as though something is about to happen) then the section where the email address goes just becomes highlighted in red as though it doesn't like it for some reason.  I should mention that the email address is perfectly valid - (we have had it for about 13 years) it's a virgin.net email address.  So obviously something is still incorrect.  Any ideas please?  Thanks again.

Regards
Lin

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 July 10 08:10 BST (UK) »
Lin

I don't know if this is the problem,but have you made sure there is nothing in front of your email address(a blank character for example) make sure you start the email address right at the beginning of the space allowed.

I've had that with similiar websites in the past.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cranbourne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 July 10 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol,

No, I haven't left any spaces etc., before I started typing. 

I think I need someone to give me the complete 'idiots guide' to changing the email.  I've even tried a 'complete' change  i.e., change of password, security question - the whole thing and still nothing changes.  I know I must be doing something wrong but can't fathom it out - thanks anyway.

Regards
Lin