Author Topic: Marriage of John Welsh and Anastasia Talon abt 1800  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Guidingspirit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of John Welsh and Anastasia Talon abt 1800
« on: Friday 02 July 10 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi there!
              Does anyone know whereabouts I could find the marriage record of my 3 x great grandparents John Welsh and Anastasia Talon please? John Welsh was a farmer and their daughter (my 2 x great grandmother) Mary was born abt 1817 but I have no idea where in Ireland they came from.
Any clue as to where I may start my search would be most welcome.
Jean

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of John Welsh and Anastasia Talon abt 1800
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 July 10 11:01 BST (UK) »
Since you will need to research parish records to find details on John and Anastasia you will need to first establish the family religion and where they lived - i.e. parish, town, or townland. Not all parishes have records for these times so it's vital to know where they lived..

You didn't say where they ended up - but do you have any certs or census records which might mention a place of birth (e.g. County) ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Guidingspirit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 July 10 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,
                No I don't have anything at all for them other than I have found their names on my 2 x great grandmother Mary Tomney's 1879 death certificate in Scotland.
As the "Tomney's" appear to be mainly catholic I think it's safe to assume that John and Anastasia Welsh were catholic but I'm just guessing.
My great grandfather Edward Stephen Tomney was born on Spike Island Cork in 1849 but I think the family were traveling in their occupation of clothiers brokers and the rest of the family are down on the English and Scottish census forms as simply from Ireland which is a great pity.
Thank you anyway,
Jean

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 July 10 11:41 BST (UK) »
Have you checked for John and Anastasia Welsh in early Scottish census records? it's not unusual to find relatives who also moved to the same area in Scotland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Guidingspirit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 July 10 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I hadn't thought of that but I will do it right away.

Offline Guidingspirit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 July 10 16:31 BST (UK) »
No I can't find them on the Scottish census so they probably remained in Ireland but I can confirm that the family were Catholic as I have come across my 2 x great grandfathers last will and testament ( John Tomney was married to Mary Walsh/Welsh - the daughter of John and Anastasia ).