Author Topic: Caroline Ward and Captain Henry Kent  (Read 35647 times)

Offline nzalicat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Caroline Ward and Captain Henry Kent COMPLETED -Thank you!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony, Linda & Steve,

My 2nd cousin 4 times removed was Henry KENT (abt 1826 - 1921) who married Caroline WARD. Henry had 3 siblings - Mary Carlile, Hunter & Euphemia Alexandrina Victoria.  His parents were Captain Henry KENT, R.N. (abt 1791 - 1873) & Eliza KENT. Eliza's father was Captain William KENT, R.N. (sorry have no record of her mother). Captain Henry KENT's parents were John KENT & Sarah CARLILE. John KENT was the steward of the Royal Navy Hospital, Stonehouse Devon.
I am descended from Sarah CARLILE's mother.
John & Sarah had several other children. All 4 sons were in the Royal Navy - Bartholomew, William Carlile George, John & Henry.

I have more detailed information on this family if it is of interest/use and I would love to know what the letter said from Mary Carlile to her brother.

Alison

Offline spjuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison,
Brilliant to hear from someone 'in the know' about the family.

If you look at lot 1097 on this link
http://stampauctionnetwork.com/f/f1325.cfm#14
you will see one of the letters from Jamaica to Major Kent in India.
This correspondence is of particular interest to Jamaica postal historians (like me).

It looks as if these letters were sent by Captain Henry KENT, R.N. (abt 1791 - 1873) as the end date for letters seems to fit his death.
Did he die in Jamaica? I have found an ILN ref 28 Jun 1873 to a Capt Henry Kent RN who died in Exeter aged 83, which seems to fit and might tie in with the Stonehouse location.

His wife Eliza Kent is confusing, if you look at
http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A020043b.htm
it says that Eliza was married to William not Henry?

I'm particularly interested in anything regarding the Jamaica connection eg when the family went there.
So any data you can provide may help to put the jigsaw together.

Steve

Offline nzalicat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the very quick response.

Henry KENT died 12 June 1873 at 12 Regent's Terrace, Heavitree, Devoinshire.

I've done a brief check on the info I have about Eliza, wondering where I had got the name of her father. Well, I found it in a death notice for her in 'Trewman's Exeter Flying Post or Plymouth & Cornish  Advertiser'.
"September 25, at Budleigh Salterton, Devon, ELIZA, widow of Captain HENRY KENT, R.N. (late of Bellevue, Jamaica), and daughter of Capt. WILLIAM KENT, R.N., in her 90th year."

I know that Henry and Eliza were cousins of sorts, but at the moment I can't remember how.

Their youngest daughter, Euphemia, was born at Port Royal, Jamaica in 1837.

I think the Eliza KENT Linda refers to (the one married to Captain William KENT) is the next genration back. Captain William & Eliza being the parents of the Eliza KENT who married Henry KENT.
I really wish they would intermarry and have the same names...it would make things so much easier! :)

I'll see what else I can find in amongst mystuff as not all of it has made it into my genealogy program yet.

Alison

Offline spjuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison,

Yes, I need to get my head around all these Henrys & Elizas.

What year did Eliza die (from the newspaper notice)?

Also just found the following:
http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/a-superb-april-may-1813-american-boat-action-1-c-93868acb77
Concludes stating he was magistrate in Jamaica which fits in with my data. So this must? be the same Henry Kent (I think)

Steve

Offline mkcleme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 January 11 15:15 GMT (UK) »
All,
 We have had this portrait of Captain Henry Kent R.N up on the wall for years (pictures attached) and we had no idea who he was. After my mom passed away I inherited the portrait and starting doing some investigation. I found Discovery Harbour in Canada had a bunch of info including a replica of his ship the HMS Tecumseth (website and picture of the replica ship below). The kind folks there sent me all kinds of info from his memoirs.

http://www.discoveryharbour.on.ca/dh/index.htm

If anyone needs more info from what I was sent or can tell me more about the Captain Henry Kent in the painting please feel free

Offline spjuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 January 11 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi mkcleme,
He was a fine looking fellow, really pleased to see his portrait.
You mention his memoirs, when were these produced and have they been published anywhere?
As stated previously, I am particularly interested in the Jamaica angle but the family generally has become fascinating to me.

Unfortunately, the Jamaica information sources between 1835 and 1869 are a bit depleted for some reason. No Colonial Gazettes nor Jamaica Gleaners available in the UK for this period. I am working my way through the National Archives at Kew but it can be like looking for a needle in a haystack.
So any tit bits of information with dates helps me to narrow my search.

Steve

Offline mkcleme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 January 11 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Here is some additional info I have. I think most of it centers around his time in Canada. This is my correspondence with the Historic program leader at Discovery Habour along with the attachments he sent.

I have attached a document summarizing references to Kent from an old staff paper I dug out of my labyrinth of ancient files - I was sure it was in there somewhere.  They cover his time at Penetanguishene, and indicate that he was subsequently posted to the depot at Isle-aux-Noix.  I will try to track down any further information about him there if I can.  I will also try to confirm the exact sources for the references in the staff paper, though that may prove challenging.  Again, bear with us and we will see what we can turn up.

Looking forward to putting a face to the character, by the way.  Thanks so much for scanning and sharing.

Cheers,
Mike.

~~~~~~~~

Mike,

Thank you so much for this information. This is absolutely fascinating! Any ideas on how he died or where he is buried?

I will scan the portrait by the end of the week and send you guys a copy.

Thank you again

Matt

~~~~~~~~

Matt,

Our personnel records list Henry Kent as "appointed to the superintendence of the Naval Establishment at Penetanguishene on Lake Huron" by Commodore Robert Hall.  Date: June 3, 1817.  He served thus as the officer commanding at the newly opened naval base, a post he filled until his discharge from those duties on June 28, 1819.

There is a reference to Kent writing to Comissioner Barrie (who had replaced Hall in 1818) in October of 1818 for permission to contract for stone to fill and sink the cribs for the planned Wharf.  Kent was listed as ill in December, along with the surgeon, Mr. Thomas Tarte, who perished early in 1819.

Though Kent's discharge is listed as June 28, 1819 another reference indicates that his replacement, Lt. James Jackson, effectively took charge of Penetanguishene in March of 1819.

We will search further into the personnel records for any copies of letters relating to him, and any further references, so please continue to bear with us.

Many thanks,

Mike

Offline mkcleme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 January 11 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Greenough, J.J.  Penetanguishene: A Study in British Imperial Defence: 1815-1856.  Huronia Historical Parks Staff Paper, 1976.

It is possible that Kent may have had a say in selecting the location on which the new Naval Establishment was to be built – but no-one knows for sure who finalized that decision as there were dissenting opinions expressed by various officers in the Canadian Lakes Service.  As Kent was slated to command the new post, the final decision may have fallen to his discretion.

Kent shepherded the two schooners, HMS Tecumseth and HMS Newash to Pentanguishene, that they might be placed in ordinary until further required for service.  (To place a ship in “ordinary” was to remove her masts, rigging, sails, arms, and leave only the hulk in the water for ongoing maintenance.  All other elements were kept in storage and periodically checked for signs of wear and rot.)  Greenough asserts that Kent entered the Establishments muster list from the Newash, though the Admirality lists show him to officially be the officer commanding the Tecumseth.

An early challenge facing Kent as the commanding officer was adequate accommodation for all of the personnel – for example, the newly arrived detachment of soldiers had no Barracks, and Kent had no official means to approve the building of one.  However, it seems that while military and naval authorities in Kingston wrangled over the problem of whose responsibility it should be, Kent and the military officer apparently improvised a solution to everyone’s satisfaction – the details of which are sadly a little on the vague side.

By all accounts a fair, though strict, commander, Kent nonetheless saw 16 Able-bodied sailors desert the Penetang Establishment in June of 1818.  The stringency of Kent’s regime at the base was likely compounded by the unfamiliar challenges facing sailors adapting to a land posting versus a shipboard existence.  In any case, several of the deserters claimed that Kent had tricked them out of backpay – the charge proved to be completely unfounded.

The winter of 1818-1819 was particularly severe, and by December, both Kent and the post’s surgeon, Thomas Tarte, were seriously ill.  Tarte perished in January of 1819.  Kent, stricken with “fever and ague” was reduced to “a mere skeleton”, but survived.  Upon his discharge from Penetanguishene in June of 1819, Kent was transferred to the Isle-aux-Noix establishment, which featured a less harsh climate.  At the time, the commander of Canadian Lakes Service, Commodore Robert Barrie was effecting a service-wide attempt to place formal captains in command of the various outposts on the Great Lakes, so no slight on Kent’s service at Penetanguishene should be inferred from his transfer.

The officer replacing Kent was Captain Samuel Roberts, whose great complaint about life at the fledgling outpost was the extent of drunkenness amongst its inhabitants.  In raising those complaints, Roberts alleged that Kent had kept a “grog shop” – that is, that he had made unauthorized sales of liquor to the men.  The charge was serious, and Kent, stationed at Isle-aux-Noix was given a chance to refute it.  Kent claimed that the charge was malicious and made on the part of the personnel who resented the stern nature of his command.  He dismissed the accusation as “Malicious calumny, actuated by the darkest passions of Revenge”.  However, during the inquiry, when confronted by statements from the purser, Kent admitted that he had sold some of his “private stock”, but denied that his conduct was in any way compromising.  Although the matter was reported to London, nothing came of it and it was allowed to drop, likely owing to Kent’s good record of service and a lack of any other compelling evidence.

Years later, in a memorial of his services as a naval officer, Kent refers to his time at Penetanguishene in the following manner:

Your Memorialist in 1817 – piloted these large schooners {Newash & Tecumseth} from Lake Erie to Lake Huron, and was then appointed Superintendant of the Naval Establishment at Penetanguishene: Your Memorialist arrived there when not a Tree had been cut down and in two years your Memorialist had cleared and fenced in twenty Acres – built Storehouses, Careening wharf and buildings of every description; and at the same time transported the whole of the Stores from the old Establishment at Nottawasaga.

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 January 11 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony, Linda & Steve,

My 2nd cousin 4 times removed was Henry KENT (abt 1826 - 1921) who married Caroline WARD. Henry had 3 siblings - Mary Carlile, Hunter & Euphemia Alexandrina Victoria.  His parents were Captain Henry KENT, R.N. (abt 1791 - 1873) & Eliza KENT. Eliza's father was Captain William KENT, R.N. (sorry have no record of her mother). Captain Henry KENT's parents were John KENT & Sarah CARLILE. John KENT was the steward of the Royal Navy Hospital, Stonehouse Devon.
I am descended from Sarah CARLILE's mother.
John & Sarah had several other children. All 4 sons were in the Royal Navy - Bartholomew, William Carlile George, John & Henry.

I have more detailed information on this family if it is of interest/use and I would love to know what the letter said from Mary Carlile to her brother.

Alison

Hi Alison,

Thought this might be of interest to you - and Steve and mkcleme, of course!

http://www.prints-4-u.com/store/images/DDD0914/DDD0914960.jpg

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes