Author Topic: Caroline Ward and Captain Henry Kent  (Read 35613 times)

Offline spjuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline spjuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Caroline Ward and Captain Henry Kent
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 13 January 11 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Alison
Your Bio link on Capt Henry Kent has led me too the Bio of his brother Bartholomew Kent
http://www.archive.org/stream/cihm_37592#page/n373/mode/2up/search/kent
(page 354)
I haven't got my head around all the relationships mentioned yet but it looks interesting.

Steve

Offline nzalicat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 13 January 11 23:28 GMT (UK) »
John KENT (abt 1758 – 1827) m. Sarah CARLILE (1759 – 1803), daughter of William CARLILE & Robina CROSSE. They had the following children:
Robena (abt 1782 – 1866) M. William ELLISON (Lieutenant, R.N.)
Mary (died young)
Bartholomew (1785 – 1841) m. Penelope Percival KENT (daughter of Henry KENT, Commander of his Majesty’s ship Dover)
William George Carlile (abt 1786 – 1871) m. Susan Elizabeth RANKIN
Mary (abt 1788 - ?) m. Stephen PRENDERGAST (Captain 84th Regiment)
John (abt 1790 – 1816)
Henry (abt 1791 – 1873) m. Eliza KENT (daughter of William KENT, R.N.)
Isabella (? – 1854)
Sarah Thomson ( - 1852) m. Thomas Clinton SHIELLS
Helen (1797 – 1881) m. Joseph COPPOCK (Navy Agent)

As you can see there were quite a few in the Royal Navy.
Robina CROSSE remarried after the death of William, to my 5 great grandfather Peter WRIGHT. He was a physician and for some time was a surgeon in the R.N.
William George Carlile KENT was once court martialed by none other than Captain William BLIGH.
John KENT’s brothers were William (daughter Eliza married Henry) & Henry (daughter Penelope Percival married Bartholomew).
It makes it very confusing when first cousins keep marrying each other!

Offline spjuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 15 January 11 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Alison.
I think I understand the family tree and the last Henry Kent's family background now.

I have found his 1871 census record when he was finally living in Portsmouth with his wife.
They probably didn't spend much time together beforehand, as he was in India through the 1860s but I can't find Caroline in the 1861 census record, is it possible that she went to India with him?

I have started looking into his wife's (Caroline Ward) background.
She seems to have been born in 1832, her father was William Ward (ironmaster), some information on him here:
http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/articles/lowergreen/lowergreen.htm.
I have also seen mention of 'William Ward's Railway'.
I think her sister Mary Ann married John Nock Bagnal.
All seem to have been significant industrialist in the Midlands.

I'm shortly off on holiday, so won't be able to reply to further posts until mid Feb.
Tracing family history can be addictive (even if not your own)!

Offline Rockmanzym

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Caroline Ward and Captain Henry Kent COMPLETED -Thank you!
« Reply #31 on: Monday 05 March 12 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the very quick response.

Henry KENT died 12 June 1873 at 12 Regent's Terrace, Heavitree, Devoinshire.

I've done a brief check on the info I have about Eliza, wondering where I had got the name of her father. Well, I found it in a death notice for her in 'Trewman's Exeter Flying Post or Plymouth & Cornish  Advertiser'.
"September 25, at Budleigh Salterton, Devon, ELIZA, widow of Captain HENRY KENT, R.N. (late of Bellevue, Jamaica), and daughter of Capt. WILLIAM KENT, R.N., in her 90th year."

I know that Henry and Eliza were cousins of sorts, but at the moment I can't remember how.

Their youngest daughter, Euphemia, was born at Port Royal, Jamaica in 1837.

I think the Eliza KENT Linda refers to (the one married to Captain William KENT) is the next genration back. Captain William & Eliza being the parents of the Eliza KENT who married Henry KENT.
I really wish they would intermarry and have the same names...it would make things so much easier! :)

I'll see what else I can find in amongst mystuff as not all of it has made it into my genealogy program yet.

Alison

I have a photograph of their gravestones in Exeter Higher Cemetery which if you look at the original size gives a significant amount of text.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockmanzym/3849738828/in/photostream/lightbox/

Offline OpenTheDoorRichard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony, Linda and Steve, I only signed up for this site last night so am just getting my feet wet, so to speak.

While I have not proved a direct link to these folks, as yet, I have both WARD and KENT relations and would be MOST interested in receiving a copy of this information. What I am able to tell you is that my KENT relatives hail from Devon / Dorset including Corfe Castle.

Is there ANY way which can be arranged for me to get a copy of this info.? I surely hope so.

Regards.......

Richard KENT

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 31 May 12 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,

Apologies for the length of time it's taken to reply!

The original post regarding the marriage settlement of Capt. Henry Kent and Caroline Ward was posted by me. Following discussions with "spjuk" I eventually sent him the document so, if you need details of that, you will need to contact him via the PM system. just click on his name on the left of his posts and that will open a new window from where you can send him a private message.

The marriage took place in Wolverhampton in 1855 if that helps with your search.

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline Ditch Townsend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 28 September 12 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi all. Doing research into Captain Henry Kent RN, who is buried in our local cemetery, I came across this thread of posts and may be able to add a little of interest for some of you:
1) A local historian suggests that Captain Henry Kent lived at 2 (not 12) Regent's Terrace before he died in 1873.
2) This makes sense because Regent's Terrace is a row of only 6 houses, now renumbered as 54-62 (even numbers only) Polsloe Road, Heavitree, Exeter, UK (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&q=58+Polsloe+Road,+exeter&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x486da412037e03f5:0x8ebfd27d78ecc327,58+Polsloe+Rd,+Exeter+EX1+2EA&gl=uk&sa=X&ei=ZVNlUKX1I4Kg0QWq_IGwBA&ved=0CCEQ8gEwAA )
The old terrace can be seen on the top part of the map on page 9 of a local conservation management plan for the area concerned, available at: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:e_RjAwm9K20J:www.exeter.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx%3Fid%3D12830%26p%3D0+&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgCrh6pgYN78fnLueU9SlKscPzgSNMPmDGf7ty6NWl741CpHQFFkYD6k-NdT_JyFlO0UqPPEIjaUnAcmp-0sOa-gSdo6w_yMfC7cUD8rekqYCkFZSEyrTesYDINuJm7TwWCl-bD&sig=AHIEtbQyZD6SN5rNkqc9axBxpek2iV6zpg
(the official link is broken but should be here: http://exeter.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=12830&p=0 )
I don't know which end of the terrace 2 would have been, but it would have been one house in from the end.
3) His obituary appeared in the Illustrated London News on 28th June 1873 and is shown attached
4) Rockmanzym has posted a photo of the gravestone (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockmanzym/3849738828/in/photostream/ ) and we can fill in a missing word:
Was appointed in 1835 by the British Government
to carry into effect the Great Abolition Act
which for a period of 38 years he so faithfully
[PERFORMED], to prove himself the unflinching
Friend and Benefactor of the Emancipated Class
to their lasting Gratitude and Praise.
5) I am not sure if those using this thread have grasped the significance of 'The Great Abolition Act'. This was the abolition of slavery in British territories. Henry Kent was appointed to help oversee the emancipation of slaves in Jamaica - several mentions of him are made here: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Gi4eQ6Rg7FYC&pg=PA175&lpg=PA175&dq=henry+kent+jamaica&source=bl&ots=4L3cE-CnX_&sig=JwrRVQO8b_FRr8f3MNdW3E79ZN4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=1UtlULzpEYOp0QWJhoCYBw&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=henry%20kent%20jamaica&f=false
Between 1835 and 1839, an interim form of servitude was introduced called 'apprenticeship' for former slaves, for which Henry Kent was obliged still to punish what we would now think to be unjust crimes (e.g. running away) as protests against 'apprenticeship', but this was soon done away with. Kent's appointment to the magistracy ensured that the old form of slavery was wiped out almost immediately and plantation owners faced his punishment if they did not enable the emancipation.
6) A plaque in Port Royal, Jamaica, where he lived, apparently refers to him as a, "famous Royal Navy old sea dog" (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1915&dat=19840610&id=MjVSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=OzYNAAAAIBAJ&pg=1132,1958897 )

Do contact me if you are ever visiting Exeter in Devon (UK) and want to be shown his gravestone.

Ditch Townsend
Chairman - Friends of Higher Cemetery

Offline Ditch Townsend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 28 September 12 09:11 BST (UK) »
A quick addendum: If you wish to order a copy of Henry Kent's death certificate, you can do so via this link: http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp
and his certificate reference is: St Thomas 5B 48
I haven't seen a copy, but it may say what his address was when he died.

Ditch Townsend
Chairman - Friends of Higher Cemetery