Author Topic: Has this ever happened to you?  (Read 3504 times)

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
Has this ever happened to you?
« on: Friday 02 July 10 23:09 BST (UK) »
Researching my tree over the years, I have had many twists and turns, brick walls, blind alleys, wrong turnings etc.etc.
I searched for many years, before the internet age, down to London’s record offices, Kew and beyond. Lots of painstaking work, but now I can feel quite satisfied, that I have a fairly comprehensive and organised tree.

A friend was very interested in starting her tree and asked me to give her a start and a few pointers in the right direction.
She had some certs which was handy and both her maternal and paternal great grandparents were married in 1910, which was also a good start.

So straight away I went to the 1911 census and found them. To cut a long story short, I have traced both her lines back to the ’41 census and found lots of ancestors for her to ‘start’ on.

What took me about 5 years to search for my own, has taken me an afternoon to locate hers!
Maybe in this internet age searching is easier [to start with anyway]

A least she didn’t say something like ‘that was easier than I imagined’
Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Has this ever happened to you?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 July 10 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hello!  YES, I had a very similar thing happen to me...only searching in the USA!  It's amazing what the internet now offers us all....BUT I have had to caution a few newcomers to be cautious of family trees on line.  Some new searchers have a tendency to want to instantly merge those trees in to theirs without trying to verify the information.  Nevertheless, the internet is AMAZING!   ;D  Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 July 10 10:29 BST (UK) »
I helped a rootschatter with what was quite a vague request (he won't mind my saying it  ;)) for Irish information. I was interested because it was just a few miles alway from my family origins.
Through the easy access to Irish censuses of 1901 and 1911 (no pay  :D) and then Family Search pilot, we were able to get back a  bit further. The Ellis Island site also had info re emigration to USA.
This enabled the gentleman to contact new found USA relatives who were able to confirm and add slightly more.
The amazing thing was that we then found out his direct ancestor was the sister-in-law to my gt gt grandmother. (The sister married my ancestor's brother).
It all just flowed but trying to sort out my Staffordshire family- with mispellings in the censuses etc is a bit of a nightmare  ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 July 10 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, Gensleuth, I have also helped others with the assistance of data on the internet.  It has made it all look so easy for them compared to my many hours spent in the local record and archives office still trying to break down brick walls of many years duration.
The internet is a wonderful tool, but does not replace handling original documents and finding information in unusual sources with reference to your ancestors. Finding a reference previously unknown is a great boost to the research and a great feeling
Regards
Kathb
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Baker/Cheshire,Crewe/Somerset
Davies/Calvert/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Yorkshire, Bowes
Fitzsimmons/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Lancashire, Liverpool/Ireland
Lewis/Cheshire,Spurstow, Bunbury, Little Budworth, Helsby/Birkenhead
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Smith/Caithness, Dunnet, Thurso, Castletown
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso
Sadlier Forster/Liverpool/Ireland, Cork

Offline Gartag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 July 10 12:39 BST (UK) »
I'm with you there Kath, although with my mobility problems the internet has been an enormous help I still like to make the field trip to Derbyshire every 5 years or so.  To find the actual documents, graves, buildings, is the cream of research.  Of course the plodding and blind alleys are all part of it too, and they meke the results even more satisfying.

Garth
Main Stream:- Gregory, Bridgwater, Dazely.
Tributaries:- Broomhead, Warner, Eyre.
Areas: UK- Derbyshire 1750-1900, Manchester 1900- now,
        India- Jubblepore, Kirkee, Lucknow. (Bridgwater/Dazely 1890-1925)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 July 10 14:40 BST (UK) »
I was in Nottingham RO just last week and can remember saying to a fello researcher in there that I seem to manage to find everyone elses relatives in a flash, and when it comes to my own...it takes me days if not weeks to even think of what may turn out to be a lead.

Maybe it's the fact all my lot were in every other county apart from Notts  ;D

It does make you wonder though...I guess this is what turns genealogy from a curiousity into a hobby!

Reayboy
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aniph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 July 10 14:45 BST (UK) »
I spent 8 years in lds centres and other places trawling microfiche for my Croatian ancestors, translating and relying heavily on my school Latin!

Last December I did 2 family trees for friends going back 6 generations in 2 weeks! The power of the internet.

Annie
Phillips Galway>NZ
Flanagan Queens County>VIC>NZ
Bullock Bristol>Aus
Bury Shropshire>Aus
Maher Kings County>Aus
Pavletich Croatia>VIC>NZ
Delargy  Antrim & NZ

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 July 10 14:50 BST (UK) »
I have only been doing my tree on and off (mostly off) for the last five years but even in that short time I'm amazed at the number of records that have become available to people.

I do wonder if people starting now who can trace their ancestors back to 1841 in one afternoon on the computer are perhaps missing something. I recall the trips to archives sitting there for hours and being delighted to have unearthed one new fact. have the attraction of this hobby is the chase, finding everything too easily is no fun.

That said wish I could break my wall down  ???
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 July 10 16:18 BST (UK) »
I'm not very keen on travelling these days (69) and the internet is wonderful! And so many people very helpful, lookup, tips, even taking photos for me.

Has anyone else, though, found a relative in two places at once on a census? I found Alice Galllimore (9) in Newton-le Willows and in Everton, miles away - where she was staying with her uncle as there was a new baby at home, in 1911.

And very useful she was too, this was a breakthrough!
                                                                                - Alison.
LITTLE - Lancs, Cheshire. Dumbarton, Dublin and Glasgow - and South Africa. Also Canada

PRICE, ALLEN, JONES, JACKSON - Gwersyllt and Wrexham

ANDREWS, DOWSE, MEMERY - Dublin, US, and Canada