Author Topic: Court Martial punishment  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Finder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Court Martial punishment
« on: Monday 05 July 10 23:56 BST (UK) »
I've been finding many relatives on records lately, one of which was an army deserter in 1898, found a chap in 1901 census being held at Shorncliffe camp as a prisoner, not exactly sure 100% if it's him due to the birth details being slightly different though could be an error but the age & name is right, anyways, after that no trace at all of him, was he executed?, how can I find out?

Were deserters before WW1 executed or long term prison, or either depending on circumstances / court judgement?

James

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Court Martial punishment
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi James

Deserters were sentenced to sometime like 3-6 months IHL - imprisonment with hard-labour. Before there was lots of prison space they were flogged (up to 1881). Earlier still they could be branded with a D (up to 1871). After they had received their punishment they were expected to carry on with their service.

Desertion during a battle was considered 'cowardice in the face of the enemy', for which the punishment was death. Training in the early 19th century was designed to make the recruits more frightened of his Sergeant than the enemy. It seems to have worked.

Ken

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 09:30 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, the "urban myth" that has perpetuated from the 1960s that all soldiers under sentance were executed has permeated into common belief.

As Ken has pointed out, flogging and branding (on the chest) was the common punishment along with hard labour.

Even in WW1 only a small percentage of those who deserted were sentenced to death, and of them only a tiny fraction were executed. Most sentences were commuted

I commend the book "Blindfold and Alone" for those with interest in the subject
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline Finder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 13:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies fellow rootschatters, since posting this question I've been reading many army records, a few of which had notes of fronting up to court martial, the charges were quite a variety which included a prison term, haven't seen a death sentence yet, but do believe quite a few during WW1 were executed though it's now known these poor individuals were suffering from shell shock & think a pardon was issued some time ago

regards

James

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 14:43 BST (UK) »
Without going into a lot of detail....Nearly 20 of the 3-400, were convicted murderers....The common misconception that  ALL were suffering from shell shock is very misleading I'm afraid...Again I commend the book "Blindfold and Alone"...

Offline treebuster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 23:12 BST (UK) »
I have also been looking at the service records of ancestors army records to.. I was intrigued to find that my ancestor had the letter D branded under his left arm the suffering he must of gone through it describes his ordeal of desserting twice then going on to make up a  long service interesting  further on to ww1 his grandson goes on to be absent with out leave failing to turn up at a parade  e.c. i recomend any one to read and find service records it gives a real in sight in to ones ancestors Miltary lifes ...

Offline Finder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 00:08 BST (UK) »
Yes Treebuster, couldn't agree more, absolutely interesting reading

Scrimmet I will get hold of that book, sounds like good information on that time period,

regards

James

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 00:13 BST (UK) »
Review
'Meticulous research backed by eloquent and elegant writing which accommodates the pressures and values of the time, disproving the First World War myth which had terrified conscripts forced 'over the top' by uncaring officers, and rear-echelon generals handing out death sentences to any who shied away.' (Brian James BBC HISTORY MAGAZINE (November 2003) )

'It is hard to describe a book on a subject as bleak as this as 'splendid' - but it is... This is a powerful, well-argued and clearexposition of the justice - both rough and tough - meted out. For the serious student of the Great War this book is a must because it exposes an aspect of that conflict's vast secret underbelly, which has been hidden far too long.' (MILITARY MODELCRAFT June 2003 (also TOY SOLDIER) )

Offline Finder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 01:23 BST (UK) »
thanks Scrimmet, can't wait to read it

on a side note, one of my relatives army records has had a blank sheet of paper glued over the top to hide the writing by the looks on one page, anyone have an idea why this was done  ???

regards

James