Author Topic: 1841 & 1851 census Curry Mallet - WILMENT or DIGHT - completed  (Read 3119 times)

Offline elfael

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 & 1851 census Curry Mallet - WILMENT or DIGHT - completed
« on: Wednesday 07 July 10 01:08 BST (UK) »
Is there some lovely person out there who could have a look at the 1841 and 1851 Curry Mallet censuses for me? I've just found my ggg-grandfather's burial in 1858, so obviously he was around for the censuses and I'm keen to see who he was living with.

His name was Richard Dight Wilment, and he may have gone by either WILMENT (his stepfather's name) or DIGHT (his biological father's name). He was born around 1777, so he would have been about 64 in 1841 and about 74 in 1851. He may have been married to a Jane if she lived until then.

TIA
Rebecca

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 & 1851 census Curry Mallet - WILMENT or DIGHT
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 02:25 BST (UK) »

Hi Rebecca

There is this one.....

1841 Census England Somerset Crewkerne
HO107/940/?/1
Hermitage Street

WILMENT
Richard 60 Carrier Born in County
Jane 50 Born in County
Eliza 14 Born in County

1851 Census England Somerset Curry Mallet
HO107/1926/602/13

WELLMENT
Richard Head Marr 74 Farmer employ 1 lab Somerset Curry Mallett
Jane Wife Marr 64 Somerset Bishops Lydeard
Eliza Dau Unmarr 24 School Mistress Somerset Crewkerne

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elfael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 & 1851 census Curry Mallet - WILMENT or DIGHT - completed
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 02:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Karenlee, that appears to be them! I've neglected his line for a while, but I think now I'll have to spend some time on him. It never ends ;)

Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time to have a look.

Offline suecoz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 May 11 07:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Rebecca,
I have just seen your post and wonder if you know if your ggg-grandfather, Richard Dight Wilment, was a brother or stepbrother or some relation of my husband's 3x greatgrandmother who was Susannah Willment ( or Wilment). She was born about 1795 in Curry Mallet, and her parents were Richard Willment and Susannah Dight who also married and died in Curry Mallet.. She married Daniel Cozens in Curry Mallet in 1811.Her parents married in 1784 when her mother Susannah was aged about 32 (born 1752), so she could have already had a child or more. If your Richard was her child, she would have been about  25 when he was born, so it does seem possible.
Do you think there is a connection? Look forward to hearing from you.
Susan.

Offline elfael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. This is the first time in weeks that at least one person in this house hasn't been ill with one lurgy or another.

The parentage my Richard Dight Wilment has been an irritation to me for a few years now.  He was baptised in Curry Mallet in 1776 as Richard Wilment, no mention of Dight, and no parents were named. There were a couple of branches of Wilments in Curry Mallet at the time, but most are either fully accounted for at that time or disappeared entirely. The possibilities as I see them are:

1) He was a legitimate son of an unknown couple, and his mother married a Dight after his father died - I thought this for a while, but I know now that this is not correct (at least, there is no evidence that this was the case).

2) Richard Wilment and Susannah Dight had my Richard illegitimately and married when he was 7 - I have several problems with this theory. Illegitimate children are baptised with their mother's name, so he should have been baptised as Richard Dight if this was the case. Also, why marry 7 years later? I don't think this option holds water at all. Incidentally, Richard and Susannah's marriage, and the birth of Susannah in 1795, both appear in the Dight family bible; there is no mention of young Richard.

3) Richard Wilment had an earlier marriage and Richard Dight Wilment is the son of that marriage. I haven't been able to find either another marriage for Richard, or the death of a woman who could have been his wife.

4) A Wilment woman, possibly Richard senior's unmarried sister Elizabeth, had young Richard as an illegitimate son. This is my preferred theory but I haven't been able to prove it. Elizabeth Wilment died in 1798, still unmarried at age 58. Dight could have been his father's surname.

I'm sure there are other possibilities (there were other branches of the family but they seem to have left the village - maybe one came back?) but these are the ones I have considered. I'm sure there is a relationship between your Susannah Wilment and my Richard, but I don't think it is as close as brother and sister. There weren't any other Wilment children baptised in Curry Mallet for at least 10 years either side of Richard Dight Wilment's birth, so I can't even slot him into an existing family. It really is very frustrating.

I'll be only too happy to share any breakthroughs, but I have to say I'm not hopeful. I do have an extended Wilment tree on Rootsweb (Statham tree). Have you looked at the Symonds family websitewasfu-man-symondspedigree.blogspot.com which has some information about the Dight family?

Rebecca

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 12:22 BST (UK) »
this looks like janes burial
jane wilment aged 70yrs buried 5th nov 1856 curry mallet
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 12:28 BST (UK) »
dont know if u have this or not?
richard wilment dight married jane hartnell in bridport 7th oct 1823
regards
alli
middlesex - chesney

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 12:34 BST (UK) »
kids were baptised in crewkerne somerset
all children of richard willment dight
caroline wilment dight bapt 19th april 1824
amelia wilment dight bapt 19th april 1824
both baptised the same day
regards
alli
middlesex - chesney

Offline elfael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Alli,

Yes, I have all of those details. My ggg-grandmother was Maria Anne Dight Wilment, daughter of Richard and his first wife Maria Slade. They had 7 children, all baptised in Crewkerne. Richard married Jane two years after Maria's death. It's the previous generations that have me stumped!

Cheers
Rebecca