Author Topic: Cabbages, Cuffs and Zeppelins  (Read 843 times)

Paul E

Cabbages, Cuffs and Zeppelins
« on: Wednesday 30 March 05 21:51 BST (UK) »
I've just returned from a couple of days visiting my mother, and took the opportunity to 'interview' my grandmother for the first time in my life.

My grandmother will be 101 in August (all being well!).  Physically a little frail (but it doesn't stop her getting out and about with her family, when she isn't 'otherwise engaged' at her day centre, three times a week), she has remarkably good command of her faculties.

What a wonderful experience!  Armed with information from censuses and bmd certs, I was able to get her views of people who were born in the 1850's - who she remamebers as a child.

She remembers looking at the remnants of a Zeppelin that was brought down in the north east in the first world war - she was twelve years old at the time.  At the age of 21, she had acute appendicitis, and had to be transported 12 miles by horse and trap to the 'local' hospital.  Fortunately, she survived both the journey and the operation!

Apart from the fascinating insights into the individuals in my tree, she recalled a couple of episodes which said a lot about the role of women in the 1930's.

Her husband was a miner, and liked a drink.  When miners got their weekly wages, they were expected to 'tip up' all of it to their wife.  She would then dole out his pocket money for the week.  By the odd wager at the bookies, husbands would accumulate tidy sums that they might hide from their wives.  She once found a whole pile of half crowns hidden in the rolled up cuffs of his dress shirt!

A friend of hers went one better - she found pound notes carefully hidden by her husband in cabbages at the bottom of the garden.  She later discovered that her husband regularly bribed a workmate who earned less than him with a pint of beer to swap his pay packet, so that he could take home an unopened packet to his wife.  He, of course, would keep the difference.

I was enthralled listening to all of this.  It really puts the flesh on the bones of family history! 

best wishes

Paul

Offline jakky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Cabbages, Cuffs and Zeppelins
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 March 05 09:21 BST (UK) »
Paul,

Lucky, Lucky you, wish I had someone

Jakky
Thomas.  Wigan Bolton & Fleetwood
Wilcox. Liverpool & Fleetwood.
Lamplough. Hull.
Hallam. Wigan & Bolton
Jordan. Hackney.
Burtonwood. Wigan,Bolton
All Census Look Up Transcriptions Are Crown Copyright.

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 March 05 11:35 BST (UK) »
Apparently my Great Grandad who was a wheelwright, liked his booze as well, and was found one morning in a cabbage patch using one as a pillow and cuddling another (wonder if that was stuffed with pound notes?), he was also found on more than one occasion lying on the village green with his booted feet in the duckpond.  ;D

Su
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 March 05 18:02 BST (UK) »
Great stuff Paul.

Funnily enough when I read this post's title in my email notifications I thought it might be one of yours!  ;D ;D

Keep them coming.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 April 05 20:31 BST (UK) »
Great stories Paul - lucky you!

Just like Ticker I knew from the title, even before I saw your name at the side of the post, that this would be one of yours!

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk