Author Topic: 1891 Lookup - Peach  (Read 8722 times)

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1891 Lookup - Peach
« on: Friday 09 July 10 01:20 BST (UK) »
Hello :)

I am trying to find Edward Peach, in 1891 please, specifically to find who was residing or visiting with him. 

He was born 1817 in Elton, Huntingdonshire, (never married) and died Oct quarter 1891 in Oundle Northamptionshire.

In 1871 and 1881, he was living in Market Place, Oundle Northamptionshire

Thank you,

Margaret  :)
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

ARCHIBALD/ADAMS/BROWN/GORDON/WILSON/Midlothian
CADDY/COPPIN/DENITHORNE/GEDYE/GIDDEY/GROWDEN/THOMAS/Cornwall
CAREY,CARRÉ Huguenot/France/Kent/NZ/NSW
CARMICHAEL/GRAHAM/CRAMB/STEWART/Perth
CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
MATTHEWS/Lon/Sry/Oxf/Glouc/NSW
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx
VICCARS/ Lond/Northamps/Hunts

Offline BridgetM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 Lookup - Peach
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 July 10 01:29 BST (UK) »
He was living at Brunston House, Market Place, Oundle.  He is listed as head of household, single, age 74, retired iron monger.  He has a boarder, Joseph W. Pearson, age 30, an assistant iron monger--and 2 servants: Ruth Seymour and Mary Gray.

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 July 10 01:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Bridget, that's great.

All the best,

Margaret :)
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline NicciH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 July 10 18:07 BST (UK) »
I have a book called 'A Bramston Scrapbook' by David McFetrich, which mentions Edward Peach on page 20.

He bought Bramston house in 1867 from an ironmonger called William Langford Fisher and the book gives the advertisement that Fisher put in the 'Stamford Mercury'.  According to the ad, it is a big house with 8 bedrooms, '2 very large Walled Gardens' etc. 

When Edward died in 1891, the book says that Bramston House was passed to his relatives the Newmans of Barnsley.
Latham (Cheshire and Leicestershire), Miller, Heesom, Duterrau, Hurlestone/Hurdlestone, Evill

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 July 10 03:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for posting this Nicci - this is great news. :D 

Edward Peach is my 3rd cousin (I think twice removed), he was my great grandfather, William Lea Matthews's cousin. William's sister, Mary Ann Matthews lived in Bramston House, with her cousin, Edward Peach, according to the 1871 and 1881 censuses. I was trying to find a death date for her, which was why I requested this lookup - I'm so glad that I did now 8).

My 2x great grandmother, Rachel Matthews, nee Viccars (Edward's aunt), died in Oundle in 1862, so wouldn't have visited Bramston House.

Now I wonder who the Newmans of Barnsley are? Possibly neices or nephews of Edward - I'll have to investigate!

Thanks again Nicci,

Fantastic,

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline NicciH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 July 10 10:42 BST (UK) »
I have just looked at page 22 of the book and found out that there is more about Edward Peach and the Newmans. It mentions that Edward Newman, born 1798, was a partner in the family solicitor's business in Barnsley.  Quoting a book called 'The Newmans of Barnsley' by John Newman Ward, 1986 it says that Edward Newman was:

'...constantly concerned with business in London, and it was on one of his journeys by coach to London that he met a girl called Peach at the Bell Inn at Stilton, by whom he had an illegitimate child.  This was Edward Peach, who subsequently settled in Oundle ... He built up a first-class ironmonger's business in Oundle ... and he lived in Bramston House across the way .  Edward was very fond of him and took a continual interest in him.  He was constantly taking [his son] Thomas James to Oundle, and Thomas James became very fond of Mr. Peach, greatly to his credit.  The rest of the family turned up the nose of propriety at him.  This was why Mr. Peach, having no children, ultimately left everything to Thomas James, and why the Newman family came to Oundle..'

It also mentions that Thomas James' son, Arnold Charles took over Bramston in 1904 and sold it to Oundle School in 1917, because of a 'reduction in the family income'     

Latham (Cheshire and Leicestershire), Miller, Heesom, Duterrau, Hurlestone/Hurdlestone, Evill

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 July 10 01:33 BST (UK) »
Curiouser and curiouser.........

Thank you Nicci , how interesting. Now this may have opened up a can of worms and I will  have to try to obtain Edward Peach's Will (I wonder where copies of wills for 1891 are kept?) and copies of both the books you mentioned, in order to sort this out.

It's certainly the same person.  Edward Peach, bp. 1817, Elton Hunts, Ironmonger, residing in Market Place Oundle, as recorded on the censuses: 1841, 1851, (in the household of William L Fisher),  1861 (sister Marianne is living with him), 1871 (sister Marianne and cousin Mary Ann Matthews living there) 1881 (cousin Mary Ann Matthews is living with him) and 1891. 

To reinterate, Edward Peach  is the cousin of my great, great aunt, Mary Ann Matthews. Edward’s parents were John Peach and Mary Viccars who married 6 Nov 1809 in Elton Huntingdonshire. Mary Peach, nee Viccars and my great, great grandmother, Rachel Matthews, nee Viccars, were sisters.  Mary Peach was buried at All Saints Elton, Huntingdonshire on 16 May, 1834, aged 50. I don’t know when her husband, John Peach, died. I'm not sure where I will find his burial information though.

John Peach and Mary Viccars had 3 children that I am aware of.

Thomas bp. 15 Nov 1812, Elton Hunts, parents John Peach and Mary.
Marianne bp. 14 Nov 1814, Elton Hunts, parents John Peach and Mary died 1875 Elton Hunts.
Edward bp. 29 June 1817, Elton Hunts, parents John Peach and Mary .Died 1891, Elton Hunts.

Edward was the youngest child of John and Mary, so in 1817, when Edward was born, his mother,
Mary would have been about 32 years old. It is interesting that she was described in the Newmans of Barnsley book, as ‘a girl called Peach’. I must try to find out more about her liason with Edward Newman, maybe Mary was working at the Inn at this time. Wow, this is amazing!

http://www.thebellstilton.co.uk/Pages/Home.htm

and Bramston House today:

http://www.oundleschool.org.uk/pastoral/houses/bramston.php

I really must find out more!

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline NicciH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 July 10 16:19 BST (UK) »
Maybe 'the girl called Peach' was not John's wife Mary, but another Peach relation, perhaps John's sister?  John and Mary could have taken in Edward as their own child to give him a better start in life, as, from the quote, it looks as if people were snooty about illegitimate children at this time.

The information on Edward Peach in the 'Bramston Scrapbook' is all on pages 20 - 22  (nearly all of page 21 is filled by a picture of John Bramston, unfortunate it is not Edward Peach).  I had another look to check whether whether I had missed any information and found the following:

'It was bought by Edward Peach, who had also taken over the ironmonger's business, carried on by Fisher in the building now occupied by Oundle School Bookshop.  Peach apparently lived for part of the time at the house, now engraved with the name ''Bramston House'', but at other times it was let to tenants, who included John Sanders Clarke, the estate agent who was living there at the time of the 1881 census.'

The ironmonger/book shop is described later in the book as an arcaded building, opposite Bramston House,  presumably where Peach was living at the time of the 1881 census.

Peach's will could be in the Northampton Record Office,  I found a lot of Oundle wills there when I was researching my Oundle family (Wigginton and Yardley).

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 July 10 05:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicci,

Yes, you’re probably right about who Edward’s mother might be. Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about John Peach, besides him being married to Mary Viccars - we may never really know for sure and it really doesn’t matter.

I’m pleased to hear that Edward also carried on the ironmongers business in the building that is now the Oundle School Bookshop. I find the description of the building and the fact that he may have lived there etc, invaluable.  I have just sent an enquiry to Northampton Record Office regarding ordering a copy of Edward’s will. I do hope they have the original there.

I also did a search, online, for the book, 'The Newmans of Barnsley' by John Newman Ward, 1986 and it’s  currently unavailable but Bramston Scrapbook: Seventy-five Years in the Life of a Public School Boarding House by David McFetrich , even though not kept in stock, hopefully can be ordered, so I will try to secure a copy –  fingers crossed.

I have just had a browse around your website – you certainly have an interesting family. I notice that you may have Huguenot ancestors as well. My Carey Carre/ Caree line are descended from French Huguenot. Most of the baptisms for them are recorded in the Walloon Or Strangers Church, Canterbury, Kent, England. The earliest I have been able to trace them is to Pierre Jacob Carey born c1706 France and Marye Du Chattel.  Rachel Matthews (nee Viccars), son, William Lea Matthews and Sarah Jane Carey are my great grandparents.

Nicci, I don’t know how to thank you for sharing all this wonderful information about Edward, and Oundle, it’s amazing! You’ve been so helpful, uncovering all this history about my family that I knew absolutely nothing about before your post. It’s also interesting to think that our Oundle ancestors, walked the same streets, even though at different times, over two hundred years ago, and here we are today, discussing them online.

Thanks again,

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx