Author Topic: Adam Bartley / Hammonds 1812 - 1887 Staffordshire  (Read 2141 times)

Offline narissa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adam Bartley / Hammonds 1812 - 1887 Staffordshire
« on: Sunday 11 July 10 06:57 BST (UK) »
My introduction to Rootschat yesterday was finding through Google information that my mysterious ancestor Adam Bartley born circa 1815 (+-5)  who married Mary nee Fereday in 1836, Tipton Staffordshire, also may have used the surname Hammonds.  This man is a mystery beyond his marriage although we know much about him after 1836. Does anyone have any info on an Adam Bartley or Hammonds  - his birthplace is listed in many places - Shropshire (Wedlock, Brosley) also Oldbury or Tipton. He is a real mystery to us!!!! Any help would be welcome.  Narissa
Phelps of Gloucestershire; Kendalls of London; Cartwrights - coal miners -  Staffordshire; Bartley - the mysterious Adam; Goodwins of Cheadle, Staffordshire; O'Brien family arr 1839 in Oz from Ireland; First Fleeter William Roberts and his wife Kezia Brown; convict James Gough from Herefordshire and Ann Cain; Baines family incl George Powell Baines s.o. James and Esther nee Anderson; James Henri Brown Spearing, the Tinn & Clinton Families; Frape of Gloucs;  Fereday & Fowell; Donaldson;Whitehouse

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Bartley / Hammonds 1812 - 1887 Staffordshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 July 10 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hiya Narissa....on www.familysearch.org there are 2 Submitted records as stated
Adam Bartley b 1817 Shropshire
Adam Bartley married Mary SHERIDAN in Tipton in 1838....if this is correct it should be on Freebmd and Staffsbmd....I`ll take a look....allan ???
OK...according to freebmd No marriage....on familysearch there is an extracted marriage on 14th November 1836 to MARY FEREDAY,as you have...so the submitted record of Adam Bartley is dubious to say the least...could Mary Fereday/Bartley have died within those 2 years ?....allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline narissa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Bartley / Hammonds 1812 - 1887 Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 July 10 04:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan,

Appreciate your contact and assistance. No Mary nee Fereday died, I believe in 1891 and she and Adam went on the have 9 children. I think the submitted records re birth 1817 are a projection of the information from Census records which are confusing to say the least. The breakthrough was an old post from several years ago on Roots Chat detailing how Adam's son Enoch married under the name Enoch Hammonds Bartley and on the marriage certificate Adam is likewise listed. I and another researcher have battled for months, before this later piece of info, to try to "find" Adam and felt this might have been a breakthrough but lo-and-behold there seems to be no further joy with an Adam Hammond either! Thought I'd try Rootchat to try to flush out anything at all as it is a dead end. Will send for the Tipton registers through LDS for the marriage although there tends to be little other than the couple's names. Any thoughts???

Take care
Narissa
Phelps of Gloucestershire; Kendalls of London; Cartwrights - coal miners -  Staffordshire; Bartley - the mysterious Adam; Goodwins of Cheadle, Staffordshire; O'Brien family arr 1839 in Oz from Ireland; First Fleeter William Roberts and his wife Kezia Brown; convict James Gough from Herefordshire and Ann Cain; Baines family incl George Powell Baines s.o. James and Esther nee Anderson; James Henri Brown Spearing, the Tinn & Clinton Families; Frape of Gloucs;  Fereday & Fowell; Donaldson;Whitehouse