Author Topic: Help me find Hiram Flint?!  (Read 3608 times)

Offline Jme79

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help me find Hiram Flint?!
« on: Sunday 11 July 10 22:28 BST (UK) »
I've got a bit of a mystery going on and I really need to find Hiram Flint on the 1851 Census.

He was born about 1822 in Derbyshire and I have found him on the 1861, 1871 and 1881 census in Birmingham.  He was married to Mary Ann Glover in Birmingham in 1845 however I have located her with her mother in law in 1851 and no Hiram in sight. 

I also have not been able to find him or his parents (Hiram Bowler Flint and Martha Taylor born around 1797) on the 1841 census either.

I would be grateful of any help - it might help me find an answer (Hiram is listed as the father of one of my ancestors Alfred Flint on his marriage certificate but his birth certificate lists his parents as Alfred Flint & Mary Glover - Alfred was Hiram's brother!) I've found Alfred in 1851, two years before my Alfred was born but really want to track down Hiram)

Thanks!

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
Re: Help me find Hiram Flint?!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 July 10 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is a Hiram Flint in Birmingham as a lodger with the Handgreaves family.
Now Hiram is down as an  Engine Fitter (which I see he is listed in 1871 as) ... born in Nottingham.... the problem is his age is down as 15??? Could they ave got hos age wrong??? Or it might not actually be your Hiram!

ref HO107 2056
Richard Handgreave 30 Painter
Elizabeth (sister) 29
Jane (sister)19
Jane Miller (lodger) 17
Hiram Flint (lodger) 15
Jane Handgreave (grand daughter) 4
Jane Miller (daughter of Jane) 3
Bread Street Birmingham. Parish of St Martin

UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline Jme79

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 July 10 09:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, I'll have a look into that now. He certainly was an engine fitter as he is listed as this on both his marriage certificate and his sons marriage certificate.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 July 10 10:02 BST (UK) »
The IGI Index has a Hiram Bowlar Flint born 17 April 1825, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, parents Hiram Bowlar Flint and Martha. The record is an extracted rather than submitted record.

How have you linked your Derbyshire born Hiram to a Hiram Bowler and Martha? Do you have his marriage cert. This is the Hiram Bowler Flint, registered marriage Jun 1845,W. Bromwich 18  706?

Have checked 61, 71 and 81 Census. The '81 Census has Hiram born 1830, Birmingham and Mary A, age 40 b. Wellington Somerset.

Will keep digging

regards  

Offline Jme79

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 July 10 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, yes I have his marriage certificate.  The Derbyshire born bit comes from the census I think but yes, he is the Mansfield one I am pretty sure as I distant relative is also tracing the tree (in Canada) and had someone do research for her over her. The Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire boundaries do get a bit blurred I think.

Hiram Flint was married to Mary Ann Glover and then he married another Mary as well which is the one from Somerset I believe as mine was born in Birmingham I think.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 July 10 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,
the one that Cal241 found is interesting because of the occupation.

I have been looking in 1841 for the family- can't see them.

Where is Alfred in 1851? Martha has, Agrippa, I think it's meant to be with her in 1851 but I can't see him later (or earlier). At least not in the right areas. There is a possible death for him 1895 so he should be around..unless of course he went in the forces, I  suppose.
Not much sorry  ???

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 July 10 14:58 BST (UK) »
The IGI Index has an Agrippa Flint born 23 March 1828, Mansfield, Notts to Hiram and Martha Flint. This Agrippa died on 30 March, just 7 days later. The record is an extracted one.

IGI has an Agrippa Flint born 23 Dec 1833, Lenton Notts to Hierom Bowler Flint and Martha (the Agrippa living with Martha in 1851?). The record is an extracted one

Helps link the Hiram Flint born Mansfield 1825 with Martha in 1851?
But of the Flints in 1841 no trace.

Hiram Snr died in the Manchester Reg District 1849 and Hiram Jnr married West Brom 1845?. Can you confirm?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 July 10 15:01 BST (UK) »
The IGI Index has an Agrippa Flint born 23 March 1828, Mansfield, Notts to Hiram and Martha Flint. This Agrippa died on 30 March, just 7 days later. The record is an extracted one.

IGI has an Agrippa Flint born 23 Dec 1833, Lenton Notts to Hierom Bowler Flint and Martha (the Agrippa living with Martha in 1851?). The record is an extracted one

I was assuming that the first baby died and they called the later one by the sane name.
Just wondering where Alfred was in 1851 to see if we can find the family using all the clues we can  :D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 July 10 15:16 BST (UK) »
agreed, Martha had 2 Agrippas. The 1st being born Mansfield helps links Martha to the Hiram born Mansfield 1825.

But both Hirams 1841 and Hiram Jnr 1851 proving very very elusive

regards