Author Topic: James Chew-conductor  (Read 1958 times)

Offline chrissy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
James Chew-conductor
« on: Thursday 31 March 05 13:02 BST (UK) »
A while ago I started looking for James Chew, after finding out he was a conductor\musician with the stroud choral society, I decided to send them a letter.
 WELL!!!! a very kind lady called susan contacted us and put together a package for the family containing all sorts of wonderful things :).
 It included: concert posters,newspaper clippings, postcards of the rooms were he played concerts, photos, and one photograph of james himself !, and a photo of the timpany (drum) that james used to play ,and a picture of his conductors baton.
 The funeral was a very big occasion in Stroud (gloucester), and the town closed for the afternoon with blinds drawn. The funeral procession was so long it stretched all the way through town. It was attended by people from the district, the choir sang, and his band played ,and the fire brigade marched behind the mourners.   
 James was known to be a very generous man, well respected and a fine musician, playing with The Chalford silver band, Gloucester volunteer rifles band(band master), stroud choral society (conductor).
 He sounds like a nice bloke!!
 Ladies and Gentlemen-James Chew
Davidson,Payne/Paine-Dunoon/Glasgow/scotland,Sherlock-cheshire,king -female convict-7 years nsw,french-tasmania,sewell-hubbys side,O brien- Cochrane-guernsey-india .Morehouse-Kirkburton-yorkshire. Gippsland-davidson,flood,baker,rose.Chambers..Bungaree.Chambers ..county clare,Kane county clare.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Chew-conductor
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 March 05 16:29 BST (UK) »
Chrissy that is wonderful!!

I have been following your search and am delighted that you have had such a successful outcome.

I'll bet you are chuffed to bits (or is it "well stoked"??)  ;D ;D

regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Ros Fornaro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 April 05 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Chrissy,

He must be related to Henry Chew born 1820 in Chalford son of Richard and Elizabeth Chew (Smart). (Married a distant cousin of mine)

Ros

Bell Coatbridge Sct
Cassels Dunbarton Lnk Sti Sct
Heggie Lnk Sct
Lusty Gls Eng Lnk Sct
McLuckie Stirling Sct
Moss Leek Sts Eng Vic Aust
Pride Gls Eng Geelong Vic Aust

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chrissy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 April 05 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hi ros :)
  My James chew was the son of Richard Chew -Blacksmith and ?????.There seem to be a connection to a Thomas.L. chew -blacksmith-Stroud? Any ideas.............chrissy.
Davidson,Payne/Paine-Dunoon/Glasgow/scotland,Sherlock-cheshire,king -female convict-7 years nsw,french-tasmania,sewell-hubbys side,O brien- Cochrane-guernsey-india .Morehouse-Kirkburton-yorkshire. Gippsland-davidson,flood,baker,rose.Chambers..Bungaree.Chambers ..county clare,Kane county clare.