Author Topic: BENNETT family  (Read 4767 times)

Offline marionjean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BENNETT family
« on: Thursday 15 July 10 13:35 BST (UK) »
i am looking for any information on the bennett family from millbrook, nursling, area of southampton.
any relations back from john bennett 1839 and his wife jane pressley 1839
thank you. children mother and father of john.
marion

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BENNETT family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 July 10 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi marion,

Presumably 1839 is their approximate birth dates. 

Was John a brickmaker?

If so, he and Jane were both born in Romsey, they married in 1864 (presumably you do not have the certificate to check for their fathers' names?) and by 1871 had John, Jane, Ruth, Rosa and Mary.  They can be found in Hursley (RG10/1214/ 33 p 34)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 July 10 22:31 BST (UK) »
If this is the correct John, then we was baptised in Romsey 1 Dec 1839, son of James & Maria Bennet.

Jane was baptised in Romsey 15 Sep 1839, daughter of John & Jane.

Nell

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 July 10 20:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the message confirming that I am on the right lines.

John would appear to be James & Maria's eldest child and they married in 1838.  The certificate would give you their fathers' names for confirmation.  From the census, James was born about 1812 and Maria about 1820.

You say that you have found Maria's maiden name was Jannaway and her father was George.  I'm not having much luck tracing baptisms for either James or Maria.  :(

Nell

Offline marionjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
bennett family
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 July 10 10:27 BST (UK) »
hi nell
i have found out that james bennett was married twice. once to a martha scammell 15/5/1834 she died in 1839 and they had one son james then he married maria jannaway 16/2/1839.
now i am stuck as i cannot find the name of james bennetts father and mother can you help with that at all. i hope the info i have found is helpful. well i hope it is the right parents anyway
marion

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 July 10 12:28 BST (UK) »
Oops, typing error - the marriage to Maria Jannaway was in 1839.

Do you have the death certificate for Martha and the marriage certificate to Maria to confirm that James was a widower?  The latter will give you his father's name.  Since I cannot find a baptism for him at the moment (he says his birthplace was Romsey), this may be you only way forward and is the only way to be sure that you follow the correct James.

How reliable is the information you have found?  Do you know the source?

Looking at extracted records on the IGI, Maria's father's name is given as George and James's father was Thomas.  The only baptism I can come up with is in Plaitford, a parish that was in Wiltshire until 1895, not too far from Romsey.  A James Benet was baptised 29 September 1811, son of Thomas & Hannah.  Hannah's maiden name was Maton.

Nell

Offline marionjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 July 10 12:52 BST (UK) »
i got the information from a friend who got it on ancestry.com. yes his birthplace was michelmersh romsey extra. on looking for john bennett james son he was living in toothill cottages with father and mother maria and i also discovered that james bennet was baptised in the abbey independant/romsey 6/10/1813 i think. i cannot look that up so i dont know if you can at all. i did not think you could get certificates before 1840 if you can i will try to get one. on marriage certificate of john bennett and jane pressley it gives james as father brickmaker and it was signed in the presence of james bennett and ann bennett

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 July 10 12:59 BST (UK) »
Civil registration began on 1 July 1837 and certificates are available from that date.  The reference you need for James & Maria's marriage is Mar qtr Vol 7 page 219.

It can be ordered online here: http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Nell

Offline kathy at toot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 August 10 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi I think the Bennett family used to live in our house - Thatched Cottage, Toothill.
I have a document which states the following:
James Bennett was a former resident of the Yews, Toothill Road he also occupied the nearby Toothill Brickworks and was responsible in the year 1866 for producing the bricks which built the long wall which extends from Ashfield to Romsey.
Thatched Cottage (formerly Smugglers cottage) here lived John Pressley and James Bennett junior.