Author Topic: Deciphering 1871 Census Entry  (Read 689 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Deciphering 1871 Census Entry
« on: Saturday 17 July 10 13:58 BST (UK) »
I just trying to decipher the middle of these 3 entries in the 1871 Census. I'm looking for;

John E WEST born in Taunton, Somerset, however, the Ancestry transcription indicates his place of birth as Sacriston, Lonford, Ireland.

Also, his occupation - does it read "Private Secretary"? In the 1861 Census he was described as an Assistant Engineer for a Private Telegraph Company.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering 1871 Census Entry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 July 10 14:01 BST (UK) »
I agree that it says Private Secretary and he was born in Somerset- Taunton.

The line that makes it appear to read something else, is in fact the L from the word London below.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 July 10 14:05 BST (UK) »
I agree with Carol on both points; census ref. RG10/849/96/34.

John West seems to be in very good company at the 'Spa Hall' perhaps he found being the private sevretary to a retired tea merchant more lucrative than an assistant engineer. What is his profession in 1881?

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 July 10 14:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much to both Carol and Josey's for their deciphering expertise. I was hoping that's how you read it, which is a vast improvement on how Ancestry deciphered it!

Josey, in answer to your question about John E(rnest) WEST in the 1881 Census, I'm afraid I can't find him past this 1871 Census - including his death or marriage, if one? Also, I'm not quite sure whether his was actually the private secretary to the retired Tea Merchant listed above him. I haven't got the census in front of me at the moment, but I'm sure the majority of the people listed around John WEST were all lodgers at the address.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!