Author Topic: 1817 burial Manchester - Ferguson  (Read 2637 times)

Offline AdRem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1817 burial Manchester - Ferguson
« on: Monday 19 July 10 10:43 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with finding out where JOHN FERGUSON, d. July 1817 might be buried in Manchester?

I think I'm right that Manchester had a population of around 350,000 and growing.  Were they still using the traditional church burial grounds, or had they built many new ones? Do churches/chapels hold burial records? 

I think he was a Scottish Presbyterian, but can't be sure yet.  The Scots Presbyterians  may/may not have had their own burial ground ...

Thanks

Charles

Lancs: Ferguson, Slater, Willis

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1817 burial Manchester - Ferguson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 July 10 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think you are looking for a church burial ground for this one rather than a cemetery.

I have checked the Manchester Collegiate Church (later Manchester Cathedral) and although there are a few Fergusons and three Johns, the one you are looking for is not there.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Charles

Luzzu is right only 3 Johns, but I don't know if Luzzu has the pdf database.

I did a search based on the year 1817 in the illegible/Not Given/Unknown sections

Sorry found nothing.

Do you know anything about this John Ferguson which might help in the hunt?

Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline AdRem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken, thanks for reply. A lot written below, but might spark off ideas ...

I can give you the following information culled from three letters written to his son Samuel Ferguson in 1815/1817/1819 and census, bmd info:

John Ferguson was certainly born in Scotland.  He had a wife (unknown name, p'raps Elizabeth if Lloyd St baptism is right - see below) and two sons and one daughter (perhaps Ann as I have a grave receipt for Ardwick cemetery 1839 for an Ann Ferguson: sadly the stones have long gone). The sons were called Samuel and James.

In the letter from John's nephew (son of his brother James, a merchant in Aberdeen and Nova Scotia) he is described as someone 'whose religious and moral character through this life was a pattern to all who knew him'.

His elder son, Samuel, disappears from our ken - and perhaps from Manchester and life - leaving only the letters he received as any record to his and, until recently, his father's existence. I haven't done much digging for him, however.

James (a cotton yarn merchant - as all the descendants were in Manchester and Stockport until the 1970s) was born in the early years of the 1800s, and could be the James Ferguson baptized in May 1804 in Lloyd St Presbyterian church, but I have to find out yet. He married twice, fortunately after 1837 the second time, so I was able to get the marriage certificate (last month or so) showing his father's name as John and his occupation as 'salesman' - but what that meant in the early 19thC I don't know.

From the 1817 letter it is apparent that John died in late June or early July 1817.

I imagine that the family would most likely have been Scotch Presbyterian in those days, but being baptized in the CofE churches later on in the century (and getting involved with the New Church [Swedenborg] too). So wonder if there is a particular place to be buried.

Not sure of financial position.  The family seem to have been prosperous Glasgow/Aberdeen merchants, and John may have gone to Manchester to act as an agent, but I don't know. I think his death was sudden and left the family in a bit of a crisis.

Any ideas!

Charles
Lancs: Ferguson, Slater, Willis

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 23:08 BST (UK) »
Just a thought, have you had a look through the Fergusons on Lancashire Online Parish Clerks, there are baptisms and marriages on there as well as burials.

www.lan-opc.org.uk

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire