Author Topic: Lookups Please (Manitoba?) - Stanley Cockcroft and Joseph Shaw  (Read 5517 times)

Offline hmserge

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Lookups Please (Manitoba?) - Stanley Cockcroft and Joseph Shaw
« on: Tuesday 20 July 10 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

I was wondering whether anyone had can help, please? 

I am looking for a Stanley Cockroft born about 1898 Yorkshire, England.  I have found 2 records for him in Canada (soldiers of first world war and 1916 Canada census of Manitoba), I was wondering what details were wrote down for him.   I would be most grateful to know if anyone finds him in passenger records.

Stanley's uncle was a Joseph Shaw born about 1846 Halifax, Yorkshire, England.  He went to Canada on the Bavarian in 1903 but I cannot find any other record for Joseph Shaw after that date.  I am wondering whether Stanley went to Canada to see or even live with him.

If anyone can find passenger lists etc for me I would be most grateful.  I am desperately trying to find out what happened to Joseph in Canada. 

Thank you :)
Serjeant/ Sergeant/ Surgun/
Ipswich, Suffolk......
Shaw - Halifax area, (Ovenden, Northowram, Brighouse), Yorkshire......
Garratt - Crich/Belper/Ambergate, Derbyshire......
Elliott - Dewsbury, Yorkshire.....
Kay - Walton, Yorkshire.....
Griffiths - East Dean, Gloucestershire.....

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Lookups Please (Manitoba?) - Stanley Cockcroft and Joseph Shaw
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 15:18 BST (UK) »
You may view Stanley's attestation papers here:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-100.01-e.php
(You can see the actual image of his record.)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 15:24 BST (UK) »
According to the papers, he was born 30 October 1897 in Brighouse, Yorkshire, England.

Perhaps you know this, but a Stanley Cockroft, born 30 October 1897, passed away in Orange County, Florida on 11 January 1985.
--------
Do you have or need information about Stanley's life after his arrival in Canada?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 16:25 BST (UK) »
http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php
 - there's a marriage for a Stanley Cockroft in 1923 in Manitoba.

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
 - shows "Stanl Cockcroft" heading to Canada (St. John, Newfoundland) in 1915.

For tracing Joseph Shaw - what date did he arrive on the Bavarian? (it made several crossings in 1903).
You can see the original image here:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/passenger/index-e.html - it should say on the passenger list what his final destination was.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hmserge

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa and jorose

Thank you for your replies.  I don't have subscription to find my past, but does it give who Samuel Cockroft was travelling with in the passenger list? 
I will view the information you have given me ;)
Thanks for the information of his date of birth and death, I didn't have these dates so that's great thank you.

Joseph emigrated on the 28th May 1903 from Liverpool to Montreal.  He travelled with his brother James and a friend Mr Drake.  It seems Mr Drake stayed in Canada and James travelled back to Yorkshire, England.  Joseph disappears  :( .  I thought that maybe Stanley may have emigrated to Canada to be with his uncle, but no sure.  What date did it say Stanley emigrated?

Thank you both once again

Heidi
Ipswich, Suffolk......

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 17:37 BST (UK) »
1916 Census for Manitoba......

Herbert Jackson Head 33 Farmer b. England Immig 1903 Presbyterian
Emmiline Jackson Wife 33 b. England Immig 1911 Presbyterian
Stanley Cockroft Brother-in-law 18 Farmer Single b. England Immig 1915 Presbyterian

Rural Municipality of Minto, Marquette District

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline hmserge

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 21:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you Polabear  ;)

No Joseph with him.  I wonder if he died before that date?
Ipswich, Suffolk......

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 00:15 BST (UK) »
A possible sighting for Joseph ..... you didn't say if he had a family?

1906 Census for Saskatshewan, Manitoba, and Alberta can be accessed for free at the website below as well as the 1901 and 1911 Censuses for all of Canada. Click on 'split view' at the top of the transcription to see the original image.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/

In Assiniboia, Saskatchewan

Joseph Shaw 57
Sophie, his wife 40
Frank 22
Ethel 12
Vera 4, their children

All b. England

Al immigrated in 1903.

Hope they are yours. You should find at least some of them and Stanley in the 1901 and 1911 Censuses at the link above if they stayed in Canada.

Cockroft seems an unusual name. In the Manitoba BMD index you were given the link to above there are 6 Cockroft marriages listed including Emmilines to Herbert Jackson. I wonder if the other folks are also related? There are also a few deaths.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline hmserge

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 10:16 BST (UK) »
hi polarbear,

Thanks again for your reply and the information you have told me.

I forgot to mention that Joseph's is a funny story.  He was married to a Sophia with several children.  But Sophia moved to Blackpool, Lancashire in England to open a guest house with the younger children.  She is still living in Blackpool in 1911.  It seems Joseph went to Canada without his family.  In the 1901 census he is boarding at a friend's house in Halifax, Yorkshire whilst Sophia is in Blackpool with the children.  Maybe the marriage broke down. 

They didn't have any children called Frank, Ethel and Vera, which is a shame as I would have loved this to be the Joseph and Sophia that I am looking for.  :(

I have searched all over for Joseph after 1903 but have had no luck whatsoever. 

Looking at the Cockroft family it seems a few of them emigrated to Canada, maybe even Joseph Shaw's sister Martha Ann Cockroft? 

I think Joseph may have died in Canada but cannot find any trace for him.  He was a wire drawer in Halifax Yorkshire. 

Thanks once again and I will take a look at the Cockroft information.  This is much appreciated

Ipswich, Suffolk......