Author Topic: Alice Rawlins born 1884-1966 Chesterfield  (Read 4436 times)

Offline ednalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Alice Rawlins born 1884-1966 Chesterfield
« on: Tuesday 20 July 10 21:06 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find this family for my friend.  I am afraid she doesn't know a lot the information I have is as follows.  Alice (above) had a daughter out of wedlock who also was called Alice Rawlins 1921-2009. Daughter Alice married a William Buchanan 1921-1977 I believe they married June Qtr 1944 Chesterfield.
Alice (1884) married William Newman dob? he died 1945, I think she said he was from Ireland.

I have tried looking on the 1891 and 1901 census for Alice, but I cannot find her.
The only one I could find was a Nora Rawlins born 1884 Chesterfield, but I dont think she used that as a different name.

Could anyone help me on this family please.

Thank you

Gillian

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Rawlins born 1884-1966 Chesterfield
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 July 10 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hello

There is no birth registration (anywhere in England) for an Alice Rawlins in 1921 but there is a birth registration, at Chesterfield, in 1921 for an Alice Newman with a mother's maiden name of Newman.

There is also nothing in the birth index for 1884 in Chesterfield for an Alice Rawlins or an Alice Newman. However, there is an Alice Newman registered at Chesterfield in the second quarter of 1886.

There is no death registered at Chesterfield for an Alice Newman in 1966. There is an Alice Newman death registered in the first quarter of 1967 at Chesterfield and she was aged 80, which would suggest a birth year of 1886.

There is no death registered at Chesterfield between 1942 and 1949 for a William Newman (although he could have died elsewhere).

In the light of the above (and the fact that nobody else seems to have found anything which ties in with the original information) it may be worth checking the veracity of the original information again with your friend.

posteria
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 July 10 23:15 BST (UK) »
A possible scenario .....

In the second quarter of 1884, the birth of a John William Rawlins was registered at Chesterfield.

In the first quarter of 1906, at Chesterfield, he married Ada Wildgoose.

Ada Rawlins died in 1919.

In the last quarter of 1944, there is a death registration at Chesterfield for a John William Rawlins aged 60.

It seems a possibility that John William Rawlins might have had a relationship with Alice Newman after 1919 (but did not marry her).

posteria

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 July 10 00:17 BST (UK) »
Alice Newman (born 1886) was the daughter of Eliza Newman (born c1869 at Ogley Hay near Lichfield, Staffordshire) who married Enoch Young in the third quarter of 1886 at Chesterfield. Enoch and Eliza had several more children.

Eliza was the daughter of Arthur and Matilda, who had several more children.

John William Rawlins was the son of Samuel and Elizabeth (nee Wilkinson) Rawlins and they also had several more children.

The families seem to be relatively easy to track (if they turn out to be the correct ones).

posteria

Offline ednalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 July 10 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

Thank you for your replies.

Alice Rawlins born 1921-2009 is my friends mother.  She married a William Buchanan (1921-1977) in June Qtr 1944 Chesterfield.  This Alice was born out of wedlock to Alice Rawins 1884-1966 Chesterfield, who married William Newman dob? died 1945. Alice was her great grandmother, but my friend doesnt know her parents names.  I am presuming the name Rawlins if this one was also born out of wedlock could be her mothers maiden name.

William Buchanan father's name was Jock Alston Buchanan came from Glasgow, and I dont know anymore than that.  All she has told me Alston was a family middle name.

Thats all the information I know. My friend wrote it all down.

Thank you once again

Gillian

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 July 10 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillian

I am repeating myself here but .....

The documentary evidence suggests that your friend (albeit that she is closely connected to the family) is mistaken. The available evidence clearly suggests that her mother and grandmother were born as Newman and that the name Rawlins comes from the male side (as indicated above).

The 1944 marriage for William Buchanan shows the bride's name as Alice Newman and/or Alice Rawlins. Her birth is registered as Alice Newman and (I think) she took the name Rawlins from the man that her mother lived with. I think that he was John William Rawlins who died in the last quarter of 1944.

A sight of the 1944 death and marriage certificates might help to shed some light, especially if one of the Alice's was the informant on the death certificate.

If your friend has a first name that is the same as a month of the year, she should have a look at her own birth certificate. The birth indexes show that her mother’s maiden name was Newman.

posteria

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 July 10 18:11 BST (UK) »
.. William Buchanan (1921-1977) .. father's name was Jock Alston Buchanan came from Glasgow
Sorry - but I do not think that this is quite right either.

There is no 1977 death registration in England for a William Buchanan who was born in 1921.

There is, however, a death registration in the first quarter of 1974, at Cambridge, for a William Alston Buchanan (GRO reference 4a 693). His date of birth is given as 5th September 1924.

His parents were John B Buchanan and Jane Alston Meeks who married in the first quarter of 1924 at Easington, Durham (GRO reference 10a 656). His birth registration is in the last quarter of 1924 at Easington (GRO reference 10a 783).

The birth of Jane Alston Meeks was registered in the second quarter of 1907 at South Shields, Durham. She was the daughter of John Watson Meeks and Jane Alston Coltman, who were married in the third quarter of 1901 at South Shields. The families seem to be quite easy to track.

There does not seem to be a suitable birth registration in England for a John B Buchanan. It is likely, therefore, that he was from Scotland. Since Glasgow has been mentioned, I looked on Scotland’s People for any births of John B Buchanan in Glasgow between 1891 and 1911. From the index there is a John Biggan Buchanan born 1898 and a John Brown Buchanan born 1899. There are a few marriages in Scotland for people called John Brown Buchanan but none for people called John Biggan Buchanan. It is a possibility therefore that this could be the man who married Jane Alston Meeks in 1924 and was the father of William - but it needs to be checked.

posteria

Offline ednalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 July 10 10:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you all very much for your help.

Gillian

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 July 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
... John Biggan Buchanan born 1898 ...

The following entry from the 1901 Scotland census indicates that his middle name was BIGGAM (rather than Biggan) ....

John Biggam Head 58 Diver Wigtownshire Portpatrick
Robert Biggam Son 20 General Labourer Lanarkshire Glasgow
Mary Buchanan Daur 22 Lanarkshire Glasgow
William Buchanan Son in Law 18 Tile Layer Lanarkshire Glasgow
John B Buchanan Grandson 3 Lanarkshire Glasgow

76 Carrick Street, Blythswood, Glasgow

The marriage of William Buchanan and Mary Biggam is registered in 1896 in the Anderston district of Glasgow.

posteria