Author Topic: David Horne & Margaret Young Kirknewton 1811????  (Read 2567 times)

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Horne & Margaret Young Kirknewton 1811????
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 03:20 GMT (UK) »
I also recorded that Richard YOUNG married Christian ROGERS on 4th August, 1777 at Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland. I have, however been unable to definitively trace Christian's birth! I have seen a couple of possible Christians in Yorkshire but not a likely candidate from Northumberland or thereabouts..if someone has access to the original parish registers (or copies thereof) for Berwick I am just wondering whether Christian's birth parish is recorded? Thanks cheers, Rob

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 23:09 GMT (UK) »
I also believe Margaret's parents were Richard YOUNG (from Alnwick) and Christian ROGERS. However, I cannot trace Christian's birth/baptism?? Any ideas on her origin? Cheers, Rob

No, sorry, it's not a surname I've come across too often in research but of the ones I have seen, Roger was more English whereas Rodger(s) was more Scottish which is not much help.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline mother hubbard

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi (Aussie 47 in particular).
John Young and Elizabeth Currie are also my GGG Grandparents. I'm descended from their son William Currie Young.
John Young was the son of Andrew Young (b.12 May 1764. Wooler) and Mary Clarke (mar. Kirknewton 02 May 1790).
Andrews parents were John Young (b. around 1738 Kirknewton) and Ann Michel (Mitchell b. around 1838. Kirknewton).  They were married 08 June1759. Wooler. 
I have some information on John his siblings and his children.  My line were almost all shepherds until my G Grandfather, Williams son Robert left to join his older brother John on IOM. My mum remembers as a child (around 1940) visiting one of her relatives at a farm in the borders - possibly James Young, another of John's sons who lived at Greenlaw, Duns for many years. She recalls a kitchen full of food and large men who were all related.
I've not been able to get back further than John and Ann. I keep hoping I'll find some link with the gypsy Youngs at Kirk Yetholm which was a nearby village.  I do know my GG Grandfather was resident there for a while.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 08:00 GMT (UK) »

Hi mother hubbard,

Good to see that you also have John Young and Elizabeth Currie in your heritage and thanks for posting the information.

William was an elder brother of my Adam Young but I haven't been able to find Adam's baptism date as yet but going by his 1862 marriage certificate and 1880 death certificate it looks around 1830. 

Adam's age on his death certificate was put at 51 by the informant who was the undertaker at Smythesdale which puts Adam's birth at around 1830.  And while the informant stated that Adam's parents were unknown to him he recorded Adam's birth place as at Coldstream in Berwickshire Scotland. 

Maybe the family were on the move between Kirknewton and Gordon when Adam was born at Coldstream.  Just a guess though.

I haven't done a lot of research beyond John Young and Elizabeth Currie I have been concentrating my research on Adam's life after he arrived in Victoria around 1853 and headed to the goldfields around Smythesdale plus also the history of his son, Adam Edward Young, my GGF who headed to the gold fields on Charters Towers in North Queensland in the 1890s.

Good luck with any further research.

Gerry