Author Topic: A real test for Militia experts!!!  (Read 5134 times)

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
Re: A real test for Militia experts!!!
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 April 05 20:14 BST (UK) »
Another long shot, but if this is a militia unit and we are no longer looking for a number 45, you might like to consider the 81st Foot, the Loyal Lincoln Volunteers (who became the 2nd Btn Loyal North Lancashire Regiment in 1881).

Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.
Sussex, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, to name but a few!

Offline Marko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 April 05 21:59 BST (UK) »
Rod,

This is another good idea. I did spend  alot of time last night looking at the 81st but I could not find any shako/cap badges that matched on any of the sites I looked at. I think both Leofric's and your thoughts that my relative was Light infantry is probably a very good one. The shako badge I still can't make out but either there is a 5 or 3 on it or the letter L. I get the feeling the crown on top of the badge is a smaller crown rather than  a King's crown.
Have you heard of this difference in crowns before? I remember someone telling me about it although I confess I am not sure I remember the reason.

There is a book I have read about called Military badges for collectors and historians by Roger Capewell that has 2000 British Military badges in it and it sounds as if it may be worth getting hold of a copy.

The rifle definitely looks like a Snider Enfield as originally suggested and would tie up with the date.

Any other lines I could try please don't hesitate to let me know and many thanks for all the effort you have already taken.

Best Regards,

Mark
Cornwall,Devon,Lincolnshire,Nottighamshire,Hampshire,Wiltshire,Middlesex
Oliver,Pearce,Marshall,Mitchell,Spencer,Cook,Dance,Richards,Thomas,Poole

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 April 05 23:14 BST (UK) »
Mark,

another way forward may be via the Directories of the time. If you know a location, you can sometimes find a militia Barracks etc. I think I have suggested this on another Militia web site before, but not to you. Go via location, then select a suitable Directory, then use the search box, just put in Militia, then tab along by the Hits results. Once you get the idea it is simple and quick.

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/findbylocation.asp

Once you have a Barracks, it usually shows the name of the unit, commanding officer and staff names. Might not, but it is always worth a try.

Another thing on the original photo is the short sword/bayonet hanging down to the right of the chair as you look at it. It might be an Enfield patter 1853 long bayonet or an 1856 pattern Elcho sword bayonet. Some where in the back of my mind I have it that the bayonet was standard issue to line infantry and the sword pattern was used by light infantry, but you would need a real expert to give you chapter and verse on that one! Good Luck with it all.

Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.

Offline Marko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 April 05 01:27 BST (UK) »
Rod,

Thank again for the info. I will I have had a play with the link you gave me. I guess the sword on the right is a bayonet of some kind and the data you supplied as to it being a long bayonet or sword bayonet could be checked as to who they were issued to.
Well I played with the shako cap badge and inverted the image and messed about with hues, contrast, brightness etc. I came up with this image which now looks like 13 with a horn below. This looks like a Glengarry badge for the Somerset Light infantry between 1874 to 1881 although there were more than one variant for the regiment. Interesting none the less but the association with Somerset I don't understand! I am attempting to attach my efforts.
Thanks again

Mark

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 April 05 10:22 BST (UK) »
Mark,

possibly time to try another approach. List the likely locations and then list the regiments associated with the geography. You can confirm these with the Post Office Directories of the time to confirm barracks in the region. Find their numbers and badges, then see what fits. Many units used numbers, but some used emblems or mottos.

Just remember that the Militia and Volunteers did not follow the Regular Regiments in numbers and shako plates in all cases. Occasionally they used more local emblems.

Rod

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 22:45 BST (UK) »
Mark

Squinting at the latest pic of the shako, I reckon the second numeral might be a '3'. What do you think?

If so, here is another possibility, the 43rd Light Infantry Regiment badge. They were later merged with 52nd LI Ox & Bucks.

Offline Marko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 23:34 BST (UK) »
Rod,
   Yes that seems like a very good idea. This tracking down relatives ain't easy is it. I will do as you say and see what it turns up especially if local militia didn't use the same shako badges as the main military.
Anyway thank-you so much for all your ideas and time. You have been a real help. Cheers.
Best Regards,

Mark

Offline Marko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 23:42 BST (UK) »
Leofric.
I agree the second numeral does seem like a 3 and squinting I thought the first numeral was a 1 but maybe as you say it is a 4!! As you say 43 would fit nicely but as I said 13 maynot. I think from my other research this chap may be Robert Marshall born 1858/1859 and I recon. he is about 25 or slightly older so this would make the date of this photo about 1873. I also recon there is a watermark/ or similar on the original photo but I can't make out any letters apart from "PRO".  I will have to do some more research. Thank-you so much for all your help and like Rod for all your time and suggestions. I feel I am closer to the truth but still not certain about everything yet.
Best Regards.

Mark

Offline Marko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 02 May 05 21:48 BST (UK) »
Leofric.
I agree the second numeral does seem like a 3 and squinting I thought the first numeral was a 1 but maybe as you say it is a 4!! As you say 43 would fit nicely but as I said 13 maynot. I think from my other research this chap may be Robert Marshall born 1858/1859 and I recon. he is about 25 or slightly older so this would make the date of this photo about 1873. I also recon there is a watermark/ or similar on the original photo but I can't make out any letters apart from "PRO".  I will have to do some more research. Thank-you so much for all your help and like Rod for all your time and suggestions. I feel I am closer to the truth but still not certain about everything yet.
Best Regards.

Mark