Author Topic: Purcell's from Ballinakill in Ireland  (Read 8056 times)

Offline kate52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Purcell's from Ballinakill in Ireland
« on: Friday 23 July 10 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hello this is my first post here and trying to fill in some information on my family history as I guess everyone here is trying to do. The Purcell's on my side of my family came from Balinakill (Castlecode?) in Ireland, or so I believe, my great grandfather Pierce Purcell came to Australia in 1852 after serving in the Indian mutiny, he was born in Ireland in 1833, for a long time I believed he was born in Ballyhale but now believe this might not be the case, on his death certificate it was reported he came from Queen's County now County Laos. His father was William Purcell C1803 and his mother was Mary Fogarty, I have a rough copy of a family tree which someone sent me and on it it stated his mother as Anne Fogarty, so not sure which is right as I got the name Mary from Pierce's marriage certificate. He had a brother called John Purcell C1835 and on his father's side were Tom, Pat, Pierce, Bridget and John. Other names which were on the family tree were Foyle, Dowling, Stapelton. Any help would be greatly appreciated as getting information from Ireland is very hard when you do not know where to start.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Purcell's from Ballinakill in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 July 10 12:59 BST (UK) »
Do you know what religion your Purcell family were ?

Once you know this it will enable you to check if parish records exist for the Ballinakill area that could include the family.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 July 10 14:00 BST (UK) »
The town, and townland, of Ballinakill are just to the east of Durrow and very close to the border with Co. Kilkenny. see Durrow to Ballynakill (google map)

I dont see anywhere close named Castlecode ... could that be Castlecomer ?  Ballinakill is on a road that leads from Abbeyleix to Castlecomer (Co. Kilkenny)

The town is in the RC parish of Ballynakill and records exist for this parish back to the late 1700s. The National Library (Dublin) Microfilm Pos. 4200 includes baptisms and marriages from 1794 with gaps - see : RC Parish of Ballynakill (Irish Ancestors/Irish Times)

The Civil/Church of Ireland parish for the area is Dysartgallen. I dont see any  mention of any records existing.

There's no source of online Co. Offaly records at the moment that I know of, although he IFHF (Irish Family History Foundation) did state late last year that they were working on records for the county.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 July 10 15:15 BST (UK) »
The place-name in Ballinakill is Castlecoole.
I have photo-copy of St Brigids cemetery records, but only from 1929-2001. but they include the surname's mentioned (not as far back as you would like) but perhaps you could build up some part of the family tree with the names included.
I tried to attach the file, but with no luck as it seems to be to big, but if you send me you e-mail by PM I will send on same.
Jack

Offline satmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Dear Kate52
Hope you receive this message.
I was happy to see your inquiry. My aunt was married to a patrick purcell Castlecoole Ballinakill. I would be very interested in any details you have as I am looking into the family history. Her name was Mary Mulhall and she lived only about a hundred yards from the Purcell house.
I'm sure this P. Purcell is in the 1901 and 1911 census.
Hoping to hear from you soon

Offline satmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Dear Seanmac
I would be interested in file on st Brigids. graveyard.
My grandmother is buried there.
Have you any material on Kilcronan graveyard (Ballinakill) as my grandfather is buried there. His name was Patrick Mulhall.
Looking forward to hearing from you.