Author Topic: Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae look up  (Read 2143 times)

Offline kirstyc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae look up
« on: Monday 26 July 10 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there
I was wondering whether anyone has a copy of FASTI ECCLESIAE SCOTICANAE and could look something up.

Entry for Rev James Cochrane, volume v, Cupar page 145
Have managed to decipher most of his biography but the last few paragraphs which list his publications are very unclear.  If anyone has a copy and can make them out, I'd be really grateful.

thanks
Kirsty
Bell, Church, Little, Calvert - Canonbie, Langholm - Dumfries-shire; Roxburgh-shire
MacDonald - glencoe
Cochrane, Anderson - Haddingtonshire, Fife, Clacks
Brodie - East Lothian
McDonald, Hamilton, Finlay, Morn - Paisley
Smart, Robertson - Kirkcaldy & Dysar, Fife; Dundee
Chesters, Allen, Pennington - Cheshire & North Wales
Christer - Cumberland, Northumberland, Cumbria, N Lincs
Altorfer, Haller, Feller - Switzerland

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: FASTI ECCLESIAE SCOTICANAE look up
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 July 10 13:30 BST (UK) »
The online copy is pretty poor but here's what I can make out so far.

Manual of Devotion, Edinburgh 1836; The Protestant’s Manual(?), Edinburgh 1839; The Works of H. ___ with a life of the Author 1839. The Present State of the Church (Cupar Fife 1843); Manual for Sabbath School ____ Communicant’s Competition. The World (?) to Come, Edinburgh 1847, 2nd Ed. 18_2; Discourses on Peculiar(?) Texts & Scriptures Edinburgh 18_8; Companion to the Sacrament of the Lords Supper [Edinburgh 185_]; Discourses on Difficult(?)Texts of Scripture Edinburgh 18__ ; Discourses on the Last Things (?Times?) Edinburgh 1855(?); Ther Temple of God and ___ __ ___ Cupar 186?_; The Resurrection of the Dead , Edinburgh 186?_;
[The Fife Pulpit 11-12-]

Try looking for his books in the National Library of Scotland catalogue. You should be able to search by author.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline kirstyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 July 10 13:47 BST (UK) »
That's great Isobel - thank you very much.  I will try the National Library of Scotland as well.
Bell, Church, Little, Calvert - Canonbie, Langholm - Dumfries-shire; Roxburgh-shire
MacDonald - glencoe
Brodie - East Lothian

Offline kirstyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 April 20 11:23 BST (UK) »
Another request for a FASTI ECC. look up / interpretation, this time for Rev Dr Isaac Davidson (d.1810) of Sorbie, Wigtownshire.
I've found some info but don't quite understand the abbreviations. Does pres. by George III mean that was the date he took orders?

I'm looking for his date of birth and parents in particular.

many thanks
Kirsty
MacDonald - glencoe
Brodie - East Lothian

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 April 20 11:40 BST (UK) »
You can look up any minister in Fasti at https://www.ecclegen.com/general-index-general-index/ and click on the links to FES to see the original article in Fasti. No need to ask anyone else to look it up for you - it's all there online.

As I understand it, in the 18th century a prospective minister was presented to a charge by someone who had the right to nominate the minister of that charge. Usually it was a heritor (locacl landowner) or as in this case the Crown.

This was the main issue over which the Disruption of 1843 took place. The Free Church was formed of congregations who wished to have the right to appoint their own minister, rather than having one presented to them.

Ordination is the religious ceremony which confers the status of minister. I believe, though I would be happy to be corrected, that a minister is only ordained on taking up his/her first charge - (s)he does not need to be ordained every time (s)he is transferred.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kirstyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae look up
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 April 20 12:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Yes I found the entry and it was the 'pres. by George III' bit I wasn't sure about. Presented by the King to whom? the new parish? and why twice? So your explanation is very helpful - thank you!

What does trans and adm. mean? Isaac was minister at Sorbie for many years but it doesn't say that in his entry so am assuming he went to Sorbie in 1775 (from Ratcliffe-Highway) and then moved to Whithorn in 1794.

Here's the entry:
ISAAC DAVIDSON, D.D.; min. at Ratcliffe-Highway, London; pres. by George III. 12th April 1775; adm. 2nd Nov. following; trans, to Whitern 19th June 1794: pres. by George III., trans, and adm. 19th June 1794; died 26th Dec. 1810. He marr. 11th May 1764, Elizabeth, daugh. of Gideon Elliot of Harwood, and had issue an only son, Elliot William, min. of Sorbie.
MacDonald - glencoe
Brodie - East Lothian

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 April 20 12:25 BST (UK) »

Maybe Transferred and Admitted?

Usually there are a list of abbreviations at beginning of books as to what these are
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 April 20 12:31 BST (UK) »
I think trans stands for translated, but it does mean transferred! Adm - admitted [to the church]
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 April 20 16:43 BST (UK) »

ISAAC DAVIDSON, D.D.; min. minister at Ratcliffe-Highway, London; pres. presented to the charge of Sorbie by George III. 12th April 1775; adm. admitted to the charge of Sorbie 2nd Nov. following; trans, translated (i.e.moved) to Whitern 19th June 1794: pres. presented to the charge of Whitern by George III., trans translated to the charge of Whitern, and adm. admitted to the charge of Whitern 19th June 1794; died 26th Dec. 1810. He marr. 11th May 1764, Elizabeth, daugh. of Gideon Elliot of Harwood, and had issue an only son, Elliot William, min. of Sorbie.

He was presented twice because Sorbie and Whitern are two different charges - once to Sorbie and once to Whitern. He was minister of Sorbie from 12 April 1775 to 19 June 1794, and minister of Whitern from 19 June 1794 until hos death in 1810.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.